Brakes

Thanks for sharing your experiences.  These stock brakes do leave a lot to be desired.  Was planning to try some different pads and bleed the system as a first attempt.  I had already started thinking what might be an option for a master cylinder swap, but wasn't sure I wanted to go to that extent.  I will be doing some on track activities next summer so it'd be nice to have some confidence and feel in that lever.  Which means I also better address those stock forks.  Yikes!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member
the better suspension will improve the stock brakes - our braking effort is going to be affected by how the suspension handles the forces e.g. if you have a lot of fork dive, you may subconsciously be more tentative on the lever. If the suspension absorbs the load you may find the stock brakes get the rear tyre flapping about in the air.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Pads and master cylinder bore have way more to do with "feel" on this system than the line being "braided" or stock type that's rubber over a braided line. (Perhaps without a Teflon core like the "braided" ones, but still not going to expand much that we will notice it, and especially not if you have a larger bore pushing more fluid, and thus giving you more feedback at the lever.)

On the FZ09, some are putting radial masters on, there was a thread on a larger bore setup like the stock one, with the built in fluid box, but either way, the larger the bore, the better the feel, and harder you can brake with less or similar effort when you apply the brakes. (And the pads will bite more cold, so feel better too.)

A quick search of Kevin's FZ09 in AU will result in the radial master cylinder upgrade thread.
He also makes a nice fuel mod that you plug in to fool the O2 sensor so your bike will ride much smoother at low speeds, and stop surging while at constant throttle and lower speeds too. (And you get better fuel economy, even though it's a richer setting...)

A larger MC piston will result in firmer brake feel, less travel, and less braking force for a given amount of pressure at the lever. A smaller MC piston will have more travel and more braking force for a given amount of pressure at the lever.

• 2 months later...
I have some information to share in my quest to improve the front brake feel of my FJ-09. In June I installed a set of Spiegler steel lines on the bike. Unfortunately, the feel at the lever was unchanged. I bled the system 7 or 8 times just to be sure. I rode it all summer like this then had an idea. I had a master cylinder from a 2008 Tiger 1050 lying around along with a remote reservoir for the fluid. The bore on the Tiger M.C. is 5/8" which is very close(5.8% larger) to the 15 mm of the FJ M.C. After swapping the parts I am pleased to announce that nearly all of the vagueness under heavy braking is gone. The feel is even a touch better than my Street Triple 675 that has a radial M.C. Although it was unfortunate that I spent the money on the brake lines to no immediate effect, I'm choosing to see that as a learning experience and an investment in longevity of the brake system.
So, I just installed and tested a 16 mm radial master cylinder from an R6. This gives a touch less feel than the non-radial Nissin master cylinder from my old Triumph Tiger 1050, but has noticeably more power.  I feel this is the best of the three M.C.s I have tried.  It has more power and better feel than stock.  For what its worth, the suspension is still stock, but not for long... 
2008 Street Triple G
2015 FJ-09

• Premium Member
I put on the Speigler steel braided brake lines and got much better brake feel. After one or two good hard brakings, the set up feels solid. I plan to switch to EBC HH pads once the roads are dry and warm around here and I can scrub the in properly.

So what are people doing with their mirrors if they swap the master cylinder?

Cheers
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

• Premium Member
Mirrors? Surely you jest. :) "The first rule of Italian (Yamaha) driving, whatsa behind me is not important."
Those living in rural areas don't have accessible plate glass windows to check they are still looking cool 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• 1 month later...
The quest for better brakes continues...

GWqxzEa.jpg

These R1 rotors have really helped.  The power and controllability are much improved! It doesn't hurt that they were only $68 form Ebay.

GO MODS!  :D

2008 Street Triple G
2015 FJ-09

• Premium Member
GWqxzEa.jpg

These R1 rotors have really helped.  The power and controllability are much improved! It doesn't hurt that they were only $68 form Ebay.

I figured when the stock rotors wore out I would  go this route.  Glad to hear you are pleased. 
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

GWqxzEa.jpg

I figured when the stock rotors wore out I would  go this route.  Glad to hear you are pleased. 
It was tough to find bolts that I felt were long enough with the 12mm spacers. Triumph PN T3330331 is an 88mm long bolt that works perfectly.

2008 Street Triple G
2015 FJ-09