Brakes

• Premium Member
IMO yes they are worth their price and there are even more expensive pads

As I said, I've had issues with 3 pairs of EBC pads in 2017. Not sure about Galfer but the Vesrah are easy on rotors, grab like anchors and wear very slowly...

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Supporting Member
Resurrecting an old thread... does anyone know where these 12mm spacers can be purchased from? Thanks in advance.

+1 on where to get the spacers, and is there another year besides the 2004-2006 R1 for rotors?? 

If you find a source for these spacers let me know.  I was at my local Yamaha shop today talking to the lead mechanic, picking his brain about the assist/slipper clutch swap and he gave me a ton of pointers. 
We got to talking about brakes and I asked him about swapping the oversize rotors from the R1, he emphatically agreed that the difference in braking would be immediately noticeable. 
I checked ebay and found several sets from salvage companies, if I can find the correct spacers then I will get this going.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
+1 on where to get the spacers, and is there another year besides the 2004-2006 R1 for rotors?? 

@2and3cylinders  I was researching this some more and found a forum thread about Better Brakes that listed the caliper spacers as fitting an R6 - See here 

I have also considered upgrading to the HH pads.  I already have an R1 master cylinder and I was considering getting a set of 320mm R1 rotors.  I had that combo on my last bike and the one-finger braking was awesome.  The rotors are pretty cheap on Ebay from a parted out bike... and its rainy winter season, I need to tweak or tinker on something.

Question... if the current rotors are 298, and you jump to a 320, how do you adjust the brake pads the grab the rotor properly?

thanks in advance..

b. 

• Supporting Member
Question... if the current rotors are 298, and you jump to a 320, how do you adjust the brake pads the grab the rotor properly? 

thanks in advance..

b. 
I think you missed the previous 2 pages of this thread discussing larger R1 rotors, caliper spacers and longer caliper bolts. 
Bottom line, R1 rotors are 22mm larger, 11mm each side of the axle.  The spacers move the caliper out 12mm.

• Premium Member

@2and3cylinders   I was researching this some more and found a forum thread about Better Brakes that listed the caliper spacers as fitting an R6 - See here
Thanks, of course STG is out of stock on the spacers but as it will be a winter project I have time. 
BTW, the Galfer 5 line kit is much less dear than the Spiegler, and Galfer has pads even most expensive thanVesrah.  You get what you pay for most often but not always...

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/980/67995/Galfer-Stainless-Steel-Front-and-Rear-Brake-Line-Kit

https://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/spiegler-yamaha-fj-09-15-16-abs-front-rear-brake-line-kit-orig-routing/?sku=S%7CSP%20S-YA0307-BLK-BLK%7C0&gclid=Cj0KCQiAi7XQBRDnARIsANeLIevpOko-7poIElTBw8LLT4myxK0NTKditm2k3HiwiQxSjSxDijBW-pUaAneREALw_wcB

• Supporting Member
@2and3cylinders   I was researching this some more and found a forum thread about Better Brakes that listed the caliper spacers as fitting an R6 - See here
Thanks, of course STG is out of stock on the spacers but as it will be a winter project I have time.
Yeah, another Winter project for sure.  My parts for the assist/slipper clutch just got delivered so I have that next on the to-do list after the holiday.  Hopefully by the time I get the clutch installed, STG will have the spacers back in stock. 

As I said, I've had issues with 3 pairs of EBC pads in 2017. Not sure about Galfer but the Vesrah are easy on rotors, grab like anchors and wear very slowly...
I second Vesrah. If you want to downgrade to the 'JL' (note no leading 'R') that's a less race-focused compound. Also not a fan of EBC. I prefer DP Brakes. But Vesrah is my favorite. 
For Vesrah I do all I my business with www.kurveygirl.com

if I can find the correct spacers then I will get this going.

I have a lathe. I have the aluminum. I can run these off no problem. Do your own painting.
So I need to put an order into McMaster/Grainger for suitable bolts too? I'm not a fan of Hex socket for these bolts. Do people have a preference for socket vs head?

• Supporting Member
Can you create the spacer with the correct lip and recess like the caliper mating surface? If it fits, sign me up. As far as bolts, I prefer socket head just like the stock bolts.

I think you missed the previous 2 pages of this thread discussing larger R1 rotors, caliper spacers and longer caliper bolts. 
Bottom line, R1 rotors are 22mm larger, 11mm each side of the axle.  The spacers move the caliper out 12mm.

My apologies. I think I read the thread in phases and either didn't absorb or understand that - or simply outright missed it.
Thanks for clarifying.

• Premium Member
I second Vesrah. If you want to downgrade to the 'JL' (note no leading 'R') that's a less race-focused compound. Also not a fan of EBC. I prefer DP Brakes. But Vesrah is my favorite. 
For Vesrah I do all I my business with www.kurveygirl.com

DP used to be called Dunlopad, and I too liked them but they've gotten very expensive and harder to find than even the Vesrah.

SBS also used to make some nice pads I think they were bought out by Parts Unlimited and they had a low friction pad I liked for the rear brake which they stopped making unfortunately

I got my 12mm spacers from Sportbike Track Gear.  However, I had to drill out one side in a drill press with a 9/16" drill bit.  As stated in an earlier post, I opted for longer bolts that I happened to get through my favourite dealership. Triumph brake bolts PN T3330331

As far as other years, I am pretty sure 2015-2017 R1 rotors fit as well.  

After 9000 miles on my bike, one of the R1 rotors developed a wobble.  They were from a 2005 R1 and had approximately 8000 miles on them when I got them.  So, I splurged on a set of Braking SK2s.  These are even better than stock R1 rotors, with more initial bite and feel.  
Braking SK2 WK071R/L.  The pads I am using are also from Triumph.  PN T2020475, only $82 for 2 sets.  I've used Vesrah RJLs but prefer the Triumph pads.

IMG_2286.jpg

2008 Street Triple G
2015 FJ-09