F#%^ing Harleys...bent front end?

So at the car dealership I work at we occasionally get trade in motorcycles. Had a old harley v rod traded in...Well long story short...it fell over into my bike and slammed my bike into my managers car and into the ground..

Damage....
Scuffed front fender
Dinged front forks (gold part)
Bent foot brake lever
Scratched pannier
Bent hand guard and associated brackets and bar end bolt
Both mirrors bent at the base?????both???? WTF.
Scratched front windshield

I didnt notice until I left for work that the front end was completely twisted..like tire was pointed straight and bars were locked to the right almost.

So I loosened up the triple clamp and turn back and forth and tightened them back up. Still a little tweaked. Took it to the dealership and had them put on a front tire ( it needed it about 8500 on stock tire) and make sure everything is straight. Got it back with a good health check and they said it is straight...but being as I have almost driven this thing 10k....it is not straight.

So I took everything apart yesterday and loosened up the nut for the triple clamp and removed wheel completely and removed forks completely. Put everything back together and still not straight.

I suspect the bars. They are on a long backorder through yamaha but found some on the east coast through ebay.

My main questions has any body had a fall over and it bent the bars? And is there any sure fire way to allign the front end besides loosening everything up and tightening it?

If the triple tree is bent, you can have a problem, but it's more likely your fork tubes or like you suspect, the handlebars are bent slightly.

Great time to upgrade your bars to ProTapers, or another "fat" bar since that's what comes with the FJ09 to start with. You can get a custom color that way too.
Another good thing is they might have a bend you like better than stock. Higher, lower, more or less sweep etc.

If the bars don't fix it, there is a way to measure both sides from the tree down to the axle center line. If they are not the same from side to side, you have a problem.
So if the tubes are in the trees equally spaced and your measurement from the tree bolt to the axle bolt center is not the EXACT same distance, it's likely you have some
bent parts. You can measure this pretty easy with a ruler, two pencils and two metal clamps. Use them to make up your own tram gauge.

You just clamp both pencils at the right distance apart on the ruler from the center of the upper pinch bolt on the upper tree to the center of the axle line.
Then move that "tram gauge" over to the other side, and see if they line up the same. It is very accurate, and pretty cheap.

Of if you have access to a body shop, ask to use their tram gauge, and they can setup the same deal, only made with alloy, and clamps and it costs 350.00. :) (Or more.)

I've made tram gauges out of paint sticks and all sorts of stuff. Very easy, very accurate, and easy to transfer measurements from one side to another on anything. Or make sure your project is square etc.

Good luck. I've been working insurance claims for 20+ years and there is always something new that comes along to surprise me.

If the triple tree is bent, you can have a problem, but it's more likely your fork tubes or like you suspect, the handlebars are bent slightly. 
Great time to upgrade your bars to ProTapers, or another "fat" bar since that's what comes with the FJ09 to start with. You can get a custom color that way too.
Another good thing is they might have a bend you like better than stock. Higher, lower, more or less sweep etc.

If the bars don't fix it, there is a way to measure both sides from the tree down to the axle center line. If they are not the same from side to side, you have a problem.
So if the tubes are in the trees equally spaced and your measurement from the tree bolt to the axle bolt center is not the EXACT same distance, it's likely you have some
bent parts. You can measure this pretty easy with a ruler, two pencils and two metal clamps. Use them to make up your own tram gauge.

You just clamp both pencils at the right distance apart on the ruler from the center of the upper pinch bolt on the upper tree to the center of the axle line.
Then move that "tram gauge" over to the other side, and see if they line up the same. It is very accurate, and pretty cheap.

Of if you have access to a body shop, ask to use their tram gauge, and they can setup the same deal, only made with alloy, and clamps and it costs 350.00. :) (Or more.)

I've made tram gauges out of paint sticks and all sorts of stuff. Very easy, very accurate, and easy to transfer measurements from one side to another on anything. Or make sure your project is square etc.

Good luck. I've been working insurance claims for 20+ years and there is always something new that comes along to surprise me.
 I appreciate the input! Thank you. I do have access to a body shop so I will see. I found the protaper thread after I had already purchased the factory bars. And TBH I dont want to deal with taping the bar ends right now. I need my bike back and running asap. Not a fan of $15 a day to drive my truck to and from work. But I am thinking the extra sweep might help with comfort. It's on the to do list. Gotta try to balance funds between upgrades and adventures. And this has sucked. But I think im going to remove the bars and see how they sit on a flat surface and hope they are bent.

• Supporting Member
The Harley is the car dealerships property, it damaged your private property, correct? The business insurance should cover ALL damages to your bike and your managers car.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

The Harley is the car dealerships property, it damaged your private property, correct? The business insurance should cover ALL damages to your bike and your managers car.
The "long story" was that I was the last one to touch it unfortunately. I double checked it was on its really wobbly stand and about 10 minutes later while walking into the building I heard a crash and a car alarm. Turned around to see a coworker waving me up. My heart sank. And no cameras to see if someone was messing with it as well. 

But I think my bars are bent. When I put the bars on my granite kitchen counter (assume thats pretty flat) and push down on the center...one side pops up about a pennys thickness. And that seems thats all its bent as well. Not enough to see but I feel it is bent. So we will see next week when the bars come in if they do the same thing or not.

I am patiently waiting for my bars to come in. Check the tracking for them this morning and get this...WTF!!!

DFW Airport, TX, United States 09/10/2017 1:03 P.M. Departure Scan
09/10/2017 12:18 P.M. Arrival ScaN

Doraville, GA, United States 09/09/2017 11:21 P.M. Departure Scan

Doraville, GA, United States 09/08/2017 10:16 P.M. Arrival Scan

Atlanta, GA, United States 09/08/2017 9:39 P.M. Departure Scan
09/08/2017 7:37 P.M. Arrival Scan

West Columbia, SC, United States 09/08/2017 2:44 P.M. Departure Scan
09/08/2017 9:24 A.M. Arrival Scan

Doraville, GA, United States 09/08/2017 5:12 A.M. Departure Scan
09/08/2017 12:51 A.M. Arrival Scan

Albany, GA, United States 09/07/2017 8:57 P.M. Departure Scan
09/07/2017 8:21 P.M. Origin Scan

United States 09/07/2017 4:04 P.M. (ET) Order Processed: Ready for UPS

I don't see what qualifies for 'wtf' commentary. Should have gotten a different bend of bar while you were at it? Yes, even steel bars bend when bikes just fall over.
I think the WTF was about the tracking. Left Doraville, GA, went to a couple other cities then came back to Doraville, GA. Routing didn't make any sense.

I don't see what qualifies for 'wtf' commentary. Should have gotten a different bend of bar while you were at it? Yes, even steel bars bend when bikes just fall over.
The stock bars are ok for me for now. And I needed it back up and running and did not want to deal with tapping the aftermarket bars right now(I have bars on the shopping list for another day). The bars were suppose to take 3 days to me...but as you can see that did not happen at all. I have always had dirt bikes,dual sports and supermotos so when bikes fall over there is very little to no damage. But this bike is just a bit heavier so I guess it should be expected. And yes kind of a pointless thread but if anybody ever has the question of...hey my bike fell over do you think my bars are bent...then the answer can be a more then likely yes.

So at the car dealership I work at we occasionally get trade in motorcycles. Had a old harley v rod traded in...Well long story short...it fell over into my bike and slammed my bike into my managers car and into the ground.. 

Damage....

Scuffed front fender

Dinged front forks (gold part)

Bent foot brake lever

Scratched pannier

Bent hand guard and associated brackets and bar end bolt

Both mirrors bent at the base?????both???? WTF.

Scratched front windshield

I didnt notice until I left for work that the front end was completely twisted..like tire was pointed straight and bars were locked to the right almost.

So I loosened up the triple clamp and turn back and forth and tightened them back up. Still a little tweaked. Took it to the dealership and had them put on a front tire ( it needed it about 8500 on stock tire) and make sure everything is straight. Got it back with a good health check and they said it is straight...but being as I have almost driven this thing 10k....it is not straight.

So I took everything apart yesterday and loosened up the nut for the triple clamp and removed wheel completely and removed forks completely. Put everything back together and still not straight.

I suspect the bars. They are on a long backorder through yamaha but found some on the east coast through ebay.

My main questions has any body had a fall over and it bent the bars? And is there any sure fire way to allign the front end besides loosening everything up and tightening it?
This dealership you work at must have insurance... put in a claim . Hopefully they will give you a check and you buy a nice front end instead of stock

This dealership you work at must have insurance... put in a claim . Hopefully they will give you a check and you buy a nice front end instead of stock
 Im with you...But after talking to someone who knows a thing or two and knows how petty the "Owners" have treated issues like this in the past...I was clocked out at the time so yea...it has cost me a lot less then I initially thought. Our paintless dent repair guy only charged me $40 to remove the crease out of my managers door and it looked like it never happened so my manager was happy. 
I have learned to pick my battles here and save some "I O U's"

When my manager asks me to cover on saturdays I usually say yes...So that way when I need a vacation etc or some extra days..I play the..hey remember when I worked those saturdays for you....

Archived