What brand of aftermarket seat are you running?

Wow, tons of good information on seats, just reviewed the other the thread, was leaning toward a Custom Terry Seat,  anyone ever used or tried one of Terry's seat and later found something better? I leaning hard on trying one of Terry's seat, send in your old seat + 250.00

1970 DT-250 / 1972 250MX / 1973 360MX / 1974 250MX & 1974 CZ 400 Red Frame & SC 500 / 1978 YZ 250 / 1979  YZ250 / (2) 1980 YZ 250 / 1986 YZ 490 / 1989 YZ250 WR / 1994 YZ 250 / (2) 2002 YZ 426 / 2007 YZ 450 / 2007 DR 650, 2015 FJ 09 / 2020 YZ 250

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Supporting Member
That’s a great price for a custom seat, the Off the shelf, generic Seat Concepts foam and cover w/ matching rear cover is almost the same price.  My custom seat cost quite a bit more than Terry’s, Of course that price included hands-on measurement and fitting, and then tweaking and fine tuning for up to 1 full year.

Hopefully Terry can nail it first time for you, it sure looks comfy.  

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 2 weeks later...
just ordered one.rode to tenn to checkout it out first hand. on monday[weather man lied 64 degrees my ass]
quality was first rate he had about 30 seat pans waiting.i got to pickout material by touch instead of looking at on a screen.
ill keep posting on what i find and will be at moto madness in march 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Got my new Bagster seat in the mail today and immediately put it on and went for a boot.

First impressions:
1. Definitely more padding than my previous seat (a Yamaha Comfort seat), leading to a more comfortable ride. Especially noticeable over road bumps, which now seem to upset the rider less (the bike, too, but that's of secondary importance). Here's hoping it also translates to fewer pressure points for my sit-bones on long rides.
2. Somehow, despite having more foam padding, it also feels like I'm sitting slightly lower, more IN the bike than ON it. intellectually, this doesn't seem sensible but it was definitely sense-able when riding.
3. It's also got a different rake that nudges me forward a touch more (the Comfort seat had me sitting really upright). I thought I might have accidentally put it on the low setting but double-checked and it's on high (I'm 6'2" so need the extra height). At first the new riding position felt a bit awkward but after 30 minutes it became quite normal. It also makes the bike feel more sporty, as I'm in a slightly more aggressive riding position.
4. The material is a bit more slippery than the Comfort seat. This, coupled with the slight forward rake, moves me up closer to the tank, which again felt a bit odd at first but eventually felt fine. Curious to see how this new texture translates to aggressive riding (with the need to feel a secure connection) and long-distance riding (where the pressure points will likely be slightly different).
5. How did I forget how good that CP3 engine sounds over the winter?! (sorry, this isn't a seat impression but this thought kept intruding on my seat test drive...)

Overall: I like the new feel and am planning to take it for a longer ride this weekend to collect further data. Will report in again if new insights present.

P.S. Thanks much to @wordsmith , @piotrek , and @kiwicanuck for their consultations on seat options!

Bagster_seat.jpg

• Supporting Member
Overall: I like the new feel and am planning to take it for a longer ride this weekend to collect further data. Will report in again if new insights present.
Following with great interest...

I ended up with a Corbin. I put about 500 miles on it before I had to put bike away for the winter, so it's not even near broken in yet so I can't give a real good review on ultimate comfort. It was definately more comfortable then the Seat Concepts and Sargents that I tried before, even in the 500 miles I did. Since it gives you more room to move back, now I find the handlebars feel too far away even with the barbacks I have installed. So I bought a Renthal Fatbar Street Naked to get a touch more pullback. Again the info on these bars was gleened from this excellent forum.

I just got back from a test ride on my Terry's seat, and I love it. I spoke with Terry before sending it off, because I wanted the front edges of the bucket smoothed or rolled. He had just done something similar to a BMW seat and sent me pictures to make sure that's what I wanted.

IMG_1141.jpg

IMG_1142.jpg

For the record, I've tried a Corbin. It seemed too narrow, and the front edges of the bucket dug into the back of my leg. I tried a Sargent original. It sloped too far forward, and I was always pushing myself back with my arms. I sent the Sargent back for their "nose job". It didn't slope anymore, but the front edges of the bucket dug into the back of my legs. I also tried a Seat Concepts thicker touring foam. It was OK, but I preferred the OEM.

At this point, I used the Seat Concepts foam as a starting point and made my own custom seat. I added different layers of varying density foam. I would add foam, shave a little here, remove foam, maybe shave a little more, until I got right. This seat was good for all day, without pain, but it wasn't 100% perfect. It was a little taller than I wanted. I was going to try some more modifications this spring, until I heard about Terry's seats.

Hey gonzo..i just did the same. Got the front seat for 269.00 and in the U.S. its free shipping. International is $20 off shipping. So being in Canada it was $309 shipped for me. Can't wait because I have got about 4 15 minute dry hump seat times in my garage and me arse was starting to light up like a smoldering forest fire.

I didn't want my first ride this spring to be a disappointment right out of the gate.

• 2 weeks later...
Just put my new seat on from Terrys and rode it ..... really like it! A freaking major improvement. I went with the more non skid top surface and feel very planted on the bike as well as much more support from the bucket style seat. Did not know how well the bucket style was going to feel but glad I went with it. Five stars on my vote!

I have been very happy with the Corbin seat. I wasn’t crazy about the styling at first but honestly it has grown on me and I now think it looks great. I have found it very comfortable even for 300+ mile rides. I love the heated function as well.

Highly recommended!

• 2 weeks later...
Personally, my favorite aftermarket saddles is Corbin. I first discovered Corbin Saddles when, in 1997, I purchased a used Kawasaki KZ550 LTD, to which the previous owner had gotten a Corbin. Several years later, for a different bike, I ordered a "basic" (all black) Corbin online. Now, with my new FJ-09, I decided it was finally time to go all the way, and get the "ride in" treatment...and, living in San Jose, CA, the ride to Hollister was only 50 minutes. I am COMPLETELY happy with the job they did, even if I had to spend several hours there (they were, unfortunately, short-handed that day).

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• 2 months later...
Hey guys,

Is anyone running a Corbin with a backrest for the RIDER?? I looked around a lot and didn't find any specific pic or post that details that.

If you have this setup and can post a pic and how you went about ordering such a seat, I'd really appreciate it!

Archived