What brand of aftermarket seat are you running?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Saddlemen will custom make a seat for FJ-09 even though they don't have a production seat.

aeg - You were right. Saddleman did respond to my email yesterday and told me exactly what you said. They offered to build a seat for me from my original oem seat pan. I really dont want to be without a seat for x amount of time so i will most likely go with the Sargent.

2019 Tracer 900 GT. 2022 MT-09SP. 2002 Buell S3T Thunderbolt. 2016 FJ-09 SOLD. 2019 XSR900 SOLD.

Seat Concepts here

jovrider , what exactly is Seat Concepts all about? I have stumbled over that name while searching. Is it a kit you order and do yourself?

2019 Tracer 900 GT. 2022 MT-09SP. 2002 Buell S3T Thunderbolt. 2016 FJ-09 SOLD. 2019 XSR900 SOLD.

Saddlemen will custom make a seat for FJ-09 even though they don't have a production seat. 
aeg - You were right. Saddleman did respond to my email yesterday and told me exactly what you said. They offered to build a seat for me from my original oem seat pan. I really dont want to be without a seat for x amount of time so i will most likely go with the Sargent.

About the time without the seat - in my case the New England winter will make it nonissue.

Seat Concepts here 
jovrider , what exactly is Seat Concepts all about? I have stumbled over that name while searching. Is it a kit you order and do yourself?
Butting-in if I may.   Google 'Seat Concepts' - they have an extensive website.   They supply a replacement seat for the rider, which comprises new foam and a new cover with some 'carbon' trim.   You can order for the pillion seat too but you'll only get the matching cover.   In both cases you simply remove the OE foam and cover(s) and replace with the SC item(s) on the existing stock seat-pan(s).   Fitting the new cover is a relatively simple DIY job if using a decent stapler (I hired one from the local tool-hire shop).   Or your local car/ boat upholsterer can probably do it for you. 
They make two alternatives for our FJ/ MTs - a 'standard' that replaces the stock torture device, and a more recently-introduced 'Sport-Touring' version.   For myself, the 'standard' version left seat height unchanged: the 'Touring' version I found to feel a bit taller and wasn't able to flat-foot at rest quite so comfortably.   I suspect this was because it was a little wider so my legs splayed-out a little.

I've had both.   The 'standard' I found to be a modest improvement over stock: the 'Touring' version was frankly a disappointment as I was expecting it to be  a further step forward over the 'standard' replacement.   It didn't work for me - it has for some.   Neither can be described as a 'custom' seat in the sense of being individually made-to-measure.  

So until my new BAGSTER seat arrives I'm currently running the OE seat with a LUIMOTO Gold Gel insert.   It helps, but not a lot, although I believe that it is gradually 'breaking-in' judging by today's outing, when I felt less aware of my butt's pressure points than hitherto.   But I still wouldn't want to ride more than today's ~190km on it!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member
I have tried both Seat Concepts and Sargent. Both are better than the OEM seat. My butt thinks the Sargent is a little more comfortable than the Seat Concepts, but that may be influenced by the higher price that I paid for it.

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

I chose Sargent for both rider and pillion seats to eliminate hot spots, which it has accomplished. I also took the opportunity to add some red trim and piping to my black bike. I selected the non-slippery cover material. The Sargent has a definite pocket to the rear, slightly higher than the front portion of the rider seat. Sitting in the middle of that creates a slight forward slant, but moving to the front, as during more assertive riding mode eliminates that tendency.

Thank you for your reply and your input about the seating position. Funny i was thinking about the red piping also so as to break up the blackness on my Raven. Something else needs to compliment the red stripes above the "FJ-09" sticker. I'm fairly certain i've made up my mind on the Sargent.

Thank you for your reply and your input about the seating position. Funny i was thinking about the red piping also so as to break up the blackness on my Raven. Something else needs to compliment the red stripes above the "FJ-09" sticker. I'm fairly certain i've made up my mind on the Sargent. 

To complement the red stripes, or indeed any other colours on the bike, many folks here have put a length of pin-striping tape into the narrow horizontal groove that runs along the bike immediately below the tank.   In my case, this was gold-coloured 3mm vinyl tape, to complement/ accentuate the gold forks and matching pin-striping and gold decals on my pannier lids.   Costs pennies, takes only a few moments (and a steady hand!).   FWIW...   And BTW, on the subject of aftermarkets seats, my BAGSTER unit will be here next week... 

P1030968.jpg

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member
Sept 20, 2017 15:41:41 GMT -7 [span][span]wordsmith[/span][/span] said:And BTW, on the subject of aftermarkets seats, my BAGSTER unit will be here next week... 

Finally, the wait is coming to an end.  A full write-up and photos will be in order.  I hope it is the last piece of the puzzle for you.   

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

<abbr title="Sept 20, 2017 15:41:41 GMT -7" data-timestamp="1505947301000" class="o-timestamp time">Sept 20, 2017 15:41:41 GMT -7</abbr> [span][a title=@wordsmith" href="/user/2795][span]wordsmith[/span][/a][/span] said:And BTW, on the subject of aftermarkets seats, my BAGSTER unit will be here next week... 

Finally, the wait is coming to an end.  A full write-up and photos will be in order.  I hope it is the last piece of the puzzle for you. 
Both are absolutely guaranteed - I may even see the seat tomorrow, Friday Sept 22nd, in which case a long weekend ride will tell the tale.

Both are absolutely guaranteed - I may even see the seat tomorrow, Friday Sept 22nd, in which case a long weekend ride will tell the tale.
Fingers crossed for you Wordsmith........I'll be waiting to see that SMILE that the other seat options has deprived you of.

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

Seat Concepts here 
That about right , it's ok . I'm happy with it much better than stock. I don't need alot of cushion , but I couldn't stand the way the stock seat pushed me forward. I would imagine a Sargent seat would better, but I didn't want to ship my seat away and wait. I did a trip down to Deals Gap last year about 2500 miles in 5 days and it felt great , no complaints.

• Premium Member
I have a Corbin and had to have it re-foamed with gel as Corbin will do a one time, up to one year, a re-do. My first Corbin after 6000 miles, never broke in. At around 80-100 miles I'd get squirmy in the seat. The re-do was much better but not perfect for the cost. Compared to the stock seat it is night and day better. I don't know what sadists they have in the seat engineering dept. at Yamaha but the stock seat is horrible. I knew this right away when I first demoed the bike at Daytona Bikeweek.
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

Archived