Best Windscreen that you can see over

I'm just hopeful that Yamaha hasn't calculated and banked that the rate of failure will occur outside of the warranty period so that this will be an issue that they'd expect to not have to incur and expense on. Based on the OP's mileage I'd say that he had a case to get the stock hardware replaced free of charge as long as he's under the warranty which is what I believe would be a liability to Yamaha. I agree it's good to keep discussions like this open as the more who are educated on the problem, the better off we all are because of the dialog.

Hopefully this thread encourages folks to go forward and at least add a "check" to their daily inspections to see if their brackets are developing fatigue. Then hopefully anyone who incurs fatigue gets their brackets replaced under warranty period. I say hopefully because this will cause Yamaha to build better brackets in the future for something that could be extremely fatal to a rider if the failure of the bracket occurs while the rider is on the bike.

There are in my mind certain parts that should absolutely be overbuilt on a bike to reduce the likelihood that a rider will be killed simply to satisfy a bean counters yearning to increase shareholder equity. All this said, I'm not confident that this will turn into a major issue for a lot of folks however the bike is still fairly young in age and there is a great following for it in European countries. It would be good to know if this is a problem that will occur for folks as the bike ages and before someone is killed because of it, rather than finding out after the fact.

Stay safe out there smiley.png
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I now have over 40, 000 miles on my madstad windshield. before I got it, I had tried several others. None of them were of much value, and either let in lots of wind from the bottom, turbulence over the top. this unit is fully adjustable for both up and down, and tilt angle. The shield, after all this time and lots of long distance touring in all weather, is relatively unscathed, and does not show any damage except some very small scratches and dings. It has the best optical clarity of any I have tried, and is substantially thicker than any of the others, so it does not deflect, bend or vibrate in the use. Because it sits further out from the dash meter, it allows the screen to be fully wide at the bottom where the others are not. that also allows for the use of much better hand guards without interference with steering lock.

Madstad_Windsheild.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
I am 5'-9" as well (32" inseam). I've had the Puig Touring and now have the Kappa 2122DT screen (Givi 2122DT equivalent), both in the highest position to minimize buffeting. I could see over the Puig in stock riser/bar position, but not so much over the the Kappa (borderline, which I found very annoying and distracting). I installed barback risers and can now see over the Kappa just fine as I sit more upright (very comfortable).
Why did you change from the Puig to the Kappa??? Figuring out my windscreen needs and Puig is on my shortlist. Be interested in hearing your feedback...…. 

Why did you change from the Puig to the Kappa??? Figuring out my windscreen needs and Puig is on my shortlist. Be interested in hearing your feedback...….
Puig was a great screen (and it looks nicer than Kappa IMO), but its profile hugged the bike too tight for me to properly mount and see my GPS, clear above the dash display (where I wanted it). It was bothersome enough for me to look elsewhere... very subjective though.
So more of a space thing and not a function thing then...….. 

• 3 months later...

Archived