Best Windscreen that you can see over

I can't say enough about how good I think the Parabellum is.  It's quiet, offers total protection and I can see over it.  Some think it detracts from the appearance of the bike but with panniers on it looks perfect IMHO.
20170320_174740.jpg

Brad
Selbyville, DE

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the problem with windscreens is everyone is a different height and rides on different roads. I bet if you were 6 feet tall and commuted 2 hours a day on the highway the Puig Touring would be great. If you never go on the highway and maybe are shorter a sport screen would work. Maybe what I want doesn't exist. A great highway experience without a front windshield of a Mac truck in front of me while hunting for twisties. :)

I think the problem with windscreens is everyone is a different height and rides on different roads. I bet if you were 6 feet tall and commuted 2 hours a day on the highway the Puig Touring would be great. If you never go on the highway and maybe are shorter a sport screen would work. Maybe what I want doesn't exist. A great highway experience without a front windshield of a Mac truck in front of me while hunting for twisties. :)
CalSci tinted shorty. Isn't huge, smooth air. Looks pretty good. 

http://calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FJ-09prod.html

'15 FJ09

I DO NOT recommend a National Cycle Tall windscreen. See my thread here https://fj-09.org/thread/5675/national-cycle-windscreen-broke-bracket?page=1&scrollTo=68491
It should be noted that a lot of us have that screen and AFAIK you're the only one who has had that problem.
Thank you for noting that. It should also be noted that I am a few miles short of 40,000 miles on my FJ and windscreen. And I'm not the first person to have an issue with a tall windscreen breaking that bracket. 

I DO NOT recommend a National Cycle Tall windscreen. See my thread here https://fj-09.org/thread/5675/national-cycle-windscreen-broke-bracket?page=1&scrollTo=68491
It should be noted that a lot of us have that screen and AFAIK you're the only one who has had that problem.
I had both the National Cycle sport and tall screens and had issues with both. I think their products are garbage. I'm running the MRA screen now.
'17 electric white fj - oem heated grips - oem hard side bags - heated corbin saddle - mra touring screen - motodynamic tail light - baja designs led turn signals - yoshimura full exhaust/fender eliminator - k-tech razor r rear shock/front fork kit - evotech radiator guard - mt-09 adventure pegs - pazzo shorty levers - stainless bar end weights
'19 Husky fe501 - cut off a few things and fixed the fueling

• Premium Member
It should also be noted that I am a few miles short of 40,000 miles on my FJ and windscreen. And I'm not the first person to have an issue with a tall windscreen breaking that bracket. 
I missed that you had so many miles on the tall screen in your original post. For some reason I was thinking it broke after only a short time of use. Sorry, poor reading comprehension on my part.

• 3 weeks later...
I think that the Madstad windscreens are about as good as they get, they are aerodynamically "correct" Check 'em out: https://madstad.com/
-CD-
-CD-

2015 Yamaha FJ-09: RaceTech Gold Valves, RaceTech Rear Spring, Arrow Full Exhaust - black with w/Carbon Fibre endcap, ECU Flash, Lowered 20mm front, 15 mm rear, Denali driving lights, Fenda Extenda, Tail Tidy, Corbin Seat, Madstad 22" Windshield, OEM heated grips, Woodcraft frame sliders, Grip Puppies, BadAss Cover (Large)....

I agree on the Madstad. I tried several, but the Madstad is really excellent. I am 5'8" and use the shortest model, and it is just fine. I too prefer to look over it. I really like that it can not only be raised and lowered, but tilted.

I have almost 30,000 mi on the screen and it still is almost perfect. Not only is it a good design, it is very good quality.

Being forward of the stock position, they were able to make it wider at the bottom, which is the problem with all the ones that fit the stock position bracket. it works as advertised, and is an excellent product. 

• 9 months later...
Whilst it's always good to be alerted of any problems, there is nothing wrong with the screen, or the company. It works very well, and they have made a screen of high quality. The screen didn't break or stop working, so why the heck should National cycles compensate you for a Yamaha bracket breaking ? The problem is the lightweight yamaha bracket wasn't designed for a screen of that size, which is probably why yamaha don't make or recommend one. There is a huge increase in leverage on that bracket compared to the original, as there would be with any make screen of that size. However, it's highly likely the cause of the break, is that you have let the bracket rust and corode, as you can see in your pictures. Rusting metal is not particularly good at loadbearing.  

Whilst it's always good to be alerted of any problems, there is nothing wrong with the screen, or the company. It works very well, and they have made a screen of high quality. The screen didn't break or stop working, so why the heck should National cycles compensate you for a Yamaha bracket breaking ? The problem is the lightweight yamaha bracket wasn't designed for a screen of that size, which is probably why yamaha don't make or recommend one. There is a huge increase in leverage on that bracket compared to the original, as there would be with any make screen of that size. However, it's highly likely the cause of the break, is that you have let the bracket rust and corode, as you can see in your pictures. Rusting metal is not particularly good at loadbearing. 
The bike was less than 12 months old at the time of those pictures. There was no rust on the bike otherwise. The rust that you see in the pictures starts from where the cracks are because that exposed, uncoated metal is highly prone to rusting. Obviously it's going to rust at that point. Have you ever seen how fast uncoated metal rusts? 

There's actually evidence that National Cycle was fully aware of this issue. They intentionally limited the height of the tall wind screen because any taller would cause damaged to the yamaha brackets. If you order a tall windscreen on a different bike, they are significantly taller. The tall wind screen on the FJ09 was too short for me (even in the highest adjustment position on the bike itself), while three different national cycle tall windshields for different bikes, are too tall for me in the lowest position.

In addition, my coworker/friend worked in R&D at National Cycle previously and said it was the company not doing their homework... he was sure that they were aware of an issue because of the testing that they do there. "Testing would have revealed an issue in that design before launch."

I'm sure they appreciated the nice supportive post you wrote defending them, but the windshield should have come with extra support brackets, if it was going to break the weldment on the bike.

I am not defending national cycles, why would I ? Your posts just seem to contain a few misconceptions.
'Tall' is not a measurement any more than fast is a specific speed.  Of course 'tall' will differ across brands and bikes ? They have a short, medium and tall. Looking at their specs first pic, it seems the jump between short and medium is consistent with the jump of medium and tall , isn't that what we want?
They intentionally limited the size of their tall screen ? Looks plenty high to me, as in second pic.
Actually evidence they were aware they would cause damage as they are 'significantly taller' on other bikes ? This is your evidence ? I had a quick look. The very first one I looked at, was their tall for a BMW gs , National cycles z2361, height 49.2cm . Their tall Tracer screen, n20318, 60cm ! Errrr
But heh, now you've got a friend who's 'sure ' they knew it was an issue, and you have 'actual evidence' as above, you can take them to court, and with the payout buy the screen you need.

IMG_3674.jpg

IMG_3724.jpgIMG_3728.jpg

Archived