Which FJ-09 model - 2016, 2017 or wait for 2018?

writetome

Hello

I am willing to upgrade to a proper sport tourer from my 2017 Ninja 650. I really love the FJ-09 for everything it has. A few things confuse me though:

1. What are the key differences between the 2016 and the 2017? From other threads in this forum, looks like oil bolt placement was a 2015 to 2016 change. Anything else?
2. Current 2017 model has fly-by-wire technology (so does 2016 afaik). But it does not have cruise control yet. Is there any speculation/news if that will be present in the 2018 model?
3. Any tentative date on launch of the 2018 model?

I understand that they changed the suspension in 2017 model to a better one from 2016. Wondering if i should invest in 2017 model now or wait a few months for 2018 model (if at all it will be launched in 2018).

Thanks!

I wouldn’t be buying a fj09 now, 2018 models are to be revealed any time now, that way you will get the improved 2018 or a discounted 2017,2016 or 2015. Who knows what the 2018 model will bring (best to wait and see) it could be a new design with better windscreen better seat better suspension, even maybe a SP version as with the upcoming FZ-09 SP version that suppose to have Ohlin's suspension  like the FZ10 SP. All will be shown soon I hope. Worse case you will save $$ as all other models will drop in price soon as new ones are shown I guess.

I would still buy a 2015 leftover... nothing wrong with any the years... as for cruise control you may still be able to get one from MCCRUISE... oil pan bolt location can easily be solved by using an oil pan from a later year model or Higdonion Cage... all model years will surely benefit from an ECU reflash to remove that cancer called EPA, yea the 2017 have been reported to have tad better throttle response but pointless once the ECU gets reflashed.

In the end it will be cheaper to find left over stock and add Cruise Control...save your self some $ for farkles and what not
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

I wouldn’t be buying a fj09 now, 2018 models are to be revealed any time now, that way you will get the improved 2018 or a discounted 2017,2016 or 2015. Who knows what the 2018 model will bring (best to wait and see) it could be a new design with better windscreen better seat better suspension, even maybe a SP version as with the upcoming FZ-09 SP version that suppose to have Ohlin's suspension  like the FZ10 SP. All will be shown soon I hope. Worse case you will save $$ as all other models will drop in price soon as new ones are shown I guess.

That sounds like a lucrative option. The only problem is the resale value on the Ninja. The more i wait, the more milage it will gather and i will get even lesser price for it. sad.png

All FJ-09's regardless of year are ride-by-wire. If Yamaha introduces cruise control on the 2018's, us guys with 2015's-17's hope we'll be able to easily add it to our current bikes.

^ Helpful fact. Thanks for that. 

I would still buy a 2015 leftover... nothing wrong with any the years... as for cruise control you may still be able to get one from MCCRUISE... oil pan bolt location can easily be solved by using an oil pan from a later year model or Higdonion Cage... all model years will surely benefit from an ECU reflash to remove that cancer called EPA, yea the 2017 have been reported to have tad better throttle response but pointless once the ECU gets reflashed.

^ True. I do want to save some money for decking out the FJ with proper touring accessories. I think i will just get a 2017 model and see how it goes: CC is not really that big of a deal i believe.

• Premium Member
I think the 2017 model also has updated traction control. With the 2015-16 models TC is all or nothing. The 2017 has multi-mode TC so you can wheelie slightly under acceleration.

Right. Funny thing is a few dealerships are telling me that they have white, matte silver and red for 2017, while the Yamaha website says 2017 is available only in white and blue. I guess i will have to check the differences mentioned in this post to determine which model it actually is.

I've heard rumors that the '18s will have updated front suspension with independent adjustable compression and rebound legs. Haven't seen anything official, just youtube rumors.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Supporting Member
Right. Funny thing is a few dealerships are telling me that they have white, matte silver and red for 2017, while the Yamaha website says 2017 is available only in white and blue. I guess i will have to check the differences mentioned in this post to determine which model it actually is.
2015 - Charcoal Grey or Red 2016 - Black or Silver w/blurple wheels
2017 - White or Blue

These are colors for the U.S.   Other countries vary.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

All good advice. I bought a new 2015 leftover today for 8000 or 8700 otd with tags. Got the Higdonion cage, led lights, pro grips, Rentall bars, Rox anti vibe risers, Two used FJR saddlebags off Ebay, Tail tidy, Custom led rear blaster and Madstad shield all for less than the price of a new one before the added doc fees etc.. 

• Supporting Member
All good advice. I bought a new 2015 leftover today for 8000 or 8700 otd with tags. Got the Higdonion cage, led lights, pro grips, Rentall bars, Rox anti vibe risers, Two used FJR saddlebags off Ebay, Tail tidy, Custom led rear blaster and Madstad shield all for less than the price of a new one before the added doc fees etc.. 
Good job.  Sounds like you already have a good start on getting it personalized.  The '15 and '16 models benefit greatly from an ECU flash to smooth out the fueling and remove restrictions, as well you also have access to the DIAG menu to clear codes and adjust the APS!! - Its free and makes a dramatic difference. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 1 month later...

Archived