I heard something today about the Yamaha Niken

Only details I can share is an opinion from someone who may be in a position to know and I guess Yamaha designed a system that just takes carving to another level.

I dunno, but the source this comes from is omg credible. I want to ride one. Didn't say buy, I just wanna ride one.

Vote

2018-yamaha-niken-leaning-three-wheeler-02-1.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
I definitely want to ride one. I also want to see how one of these does on a track day! I definitely don't think it will be a dud, but I'm not so sure it'll be "game-changing". I think it will do very well in the market where people are looking for 3 wheels, but can't afford a can-am. I also think it will do well for a large number of people who like the idea of the can-am, but found it wasn't 'motorcycle' enough for them.

As usual, I think Yamaha will price itself into a market with this one. It won't be cheap by motorcycle standards, but it will be cheap by 3 wheeler standards. I think that's what gives this the best chance at succeeding (besides the "I have too much money and I love owning all the novelties!" folks).
Edit: I'm totally going to go nuts the first time I see one of these in the wild!

• Supporting Member
Only details I can share is an opinion from someone who may be in a position to know and I guess Yamaha designed a system that just takes carving to another level.  
I dunno, but the source this comes from is omg credible. I want to ride one. Didn't say buy, I just wanna ride one.

Vote

2018-yamaha-niken-leaning-three-wheeler-02-1.jpg
I agree, I am very curious to see how it handles spirited twisties.  It looks bizarre but definitely has me intrigued. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Need more votes. Will the Niken be a Dud or gamechanger?
Depends on the manufacturer's sales target.   If they'd be satisfied with global sales of (say) 500 units in year 1, they will probably achieve that.   If aiming for 10,000, probably not. 
My view - definitely not a game-changer in the way that (say) BMW's original GS was: more likely dud - tho' I wish Yamaha well with it.

But I'm a littl intrigued by the fairing - very wide, of course, to accommodate the bike's two front forks, but is the overall style and shape likely to be reflected in a more practical mooted FJ/ MT-09 Tourer?

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

That thing is just freaky......... 
I would definitely want to ride it, but I can't imagine buying one!
As it parked near me at a favourite country cafe I had a really good look at a current Can Am Spyder this morning.   The owner (rider?/ driver?) gobsmacked me when he said it has a 1300cc triple Rotax engine - I thought they were about a 900cc twin.   Rotax of course make well-regarded hi-tech smaller engines for lightweight aircraft, hovercraft, snowmobiles, and other machines - I recall my late BMW F800 GT had a Rotax engine, 800cc parallel twin that was utterly reliable and very fuel-efficient, but alas gutless.    
There's a major dealership quite near me - I think I may toddle over there in the week and have another look and maybe pick up a brochure or two... after all, Santa's near...

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Look at this.

stabilizer_niken_yamaha.jpg

The vibes on this machine are probably gonna be very low. Im trying to picture the steering/cornering end result of this setup. It's going to be radically different but one would think that if it would be better than a two wheel lean, someone else would have made one before.

Can't wait to test ride one.

As it parked near me at a favourite country cafe I had a really good look at a current Can Am Spyder this morning.   The owner (rider?/ driver?) gobsmacked me when he said it has a 1300cc triple Rotax engine - I thought they were about a 900cc twin.   Rotax of course make well-regarded hi-tech smaller engines for lightweight aircraft, hovercraft, snowmobiles, and other machines - I recall my late BMW F800 GT had a Rotax engine, 800cc parallel twin that was utterly reliable and very fuel-efficient, but alas gutless.    
There's dealership quite near me - I think I may toddle over there in the week and have another look and maybe pick up a brochure or two... after all, Santa's near...
...have a look at this light-hearted quick 
 of the F3 variant. Sounds like a different kind of experience.
Found it very hard to understand the presenter here, piotr - he spoke too rapidly and - what was that accent??   But thanks...   It certainly would be different.   BTW - I recall reading some long-ish time ago that BMW was looking into a similar machine, and I could imagine one of their torque-rich boxer-twin 1200cc motors working well in this concept.

• Premium Member
Sorry to say, but it'll end up being a dud. Pricing will no doubt be the limiting factor for Mama Yama on sales, not a lot of riders out there that are willing to shell out an exorbitant amount of dough for a freakshow concept that has a very love-it-or-hate-it appearance. (Bimota Tesi 3D anyone?)

I'd ride the hell out of it... and thrash it for all I'm worth... but ownership? Nah, I'll stick with my FJ-09, thanks. :)
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

• Supporting Member
I'd like the beast to stand on its own and be easy to mount. What's with the side stand?
I believe the linkage arms connecting the forks are non locking.  If its standing freely and you let go of the bars, it would drop to the side like a normal bike, at least drop to the limits of the linkage travel which appears to be quite a bit of lean angle. I wonder if very aggressive riders could lift the outer wheel in a turn, like say dragging a knee in a corner?
Just not sure how much the linkage arms actually travel.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Archived