Returned to the FJ.

Over the years, I have gone through a number of bikes, and made a number of trades to try something new. I liked my 2015 FJ 09, but became tempted to trade for a Suzuki GSX S 1000. I should have payed more attention to my gut, that told me that I was trading off too good a motorcycle. Most of the trades made were good ones, but I regretted that one ever since. The Suzuki was a good bike, but not ideal to the longer distance riding that I enjoy. I’ve been keeping an eye on a new old stock 2015 FJ at my local dealer, that has been sitting on the showroom floor for two years, since the FJ was not a popular seller locally. After paying less than $8000, I’m back on the FJ again. Had a red one, now a gray. This bike is better than the sum of it’s parts; great ergonomics, an exceptional engine, Yamaha quality, agility, light weight, etc. I’ve been lurking on the forum since the trade; it’s good to be back.

I remember that Suzuki... it was a nice looking bike, but quite a different animal from the FJ. Kinda wandered why you did that... do you remember? Welcome back.

I guess I still had the sport bike tendency at the time. I realized that the Suzuki was at it's best at speeds that are best kept to the track. The FJ has all the performance that I need, plus all of it's other attributes.

Guest kernowjim
Good to see you back on an FJ.  I was in a similar position to you and whilst looking to replace my Triumph Explorer 1200 (a great big heavy beast), I narrowed it down to the FJ (Tracer here) and the GSX-S1000.  In the end I chose the FJ over the GSX-S.  I liked the Suzuki very much but it was cramped compared to the Yamaha and the engine, whilst smoother in places over the FJ, it was buzzy and needed to be revved.  I understand the FJ now and why Yamaha have deliberately engineered so much character into the engine.  Brilliant bike, no idea what I'll replace it with one day!

we know the FJ-09 is street bike(FZ-09) in a Gentlemen's blazer... or maybe a Yamaha swiss katana blade?? well Yamaha sure did bring a knife to the gun fight tho with the FJ-09...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

we know the FJ-09 is street bike(FZ-09) in a Gentlemen's blazer... or maybe a Yamaha swiss katana blade?? well Yamaha sure did bring a knife to the gun fight tho with the FJ-09...
Did you mean that the other way round? Yamaha brought a gun to a knife fight? lol
the gun fight is the liter bikes... not saying the FJ-09 is gonna fail as the knife in a gun fight but it sure will leave some deep cuts to liter bike egos...  
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

I agree kingfisher, that speed is best kept to the track.
I'm not saying that I do the right thing "all" the time.....but, well, ya know.

So glad that you still find what you need to keep the motorcycling spirit alive in you with the FJ.

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

Over the years, I have gone through a number of bikes, and made a number of trades to try something new. I liked my 2015 FJ 09, but became tempted to trade for a Suzuki GSX S 1000. I should have payed more attention to my gut, that told me that I was trading off too good a motorcycle. Most of the trades made were good ones, but I regretted that one ever since. The Suzuki was a good bike, but not ideal to the longer distance riding that I enjoy. I’ve been keeping an eye on a new old stock 2015 FJ at my local dealer, that has been sitting on the showroom floor for two years, since the FJ was not a popular seller locally. After paying less than $8000, I’m back on the FJ again. Had a red one, now a gray. This bike is better than the sum of it’s parts; great ergonomics, an exceptional engine, Yamaha quality, agility, light weight, etc. I’ve been lurking on the forum since the trade; it’s good to be back.
This the reason why I always have 2 bikes, I bought a GSXS 1000F but I wouldn't get rid of my FJ09. Different bikes, one is sporty fast, handles great. FJ handles good and nice and comfy for long trips.

Archived