Shad SH36 Side Cases - 3K Miles In

I wanted to post a review of my experience with these so far now that I've put a few miles on them. Before buying them I hadn't seen any somewhat long-term reviews and thought it might be helpful. 

First impression - definitely attractive, if a little bloated looking, but nothing too serious. Definitely much wider than the stock Yammer bags (more on that in a bit). I own a '16 FJ in the silver/carbon/blue color scheme and bought the Shad bags with the fake carbon panels - GREAT color match there for sure.

Setup was very straightforward - just swap out stock bag mounts for the Shad ones, pretty straightforward. Seems solid, haven't had any issues with them loosening up, falling, etc. Even tapped a couple of poles with the right case and it stayed strong.

Travel - Riding with them has been very comfortable so far. I don't notice any turbulence and the change in gas mileage, while noticable to the tune of 1-3 MPGs, it isn't crazy. With the bags on, I've been averaging highway touring at about 48mpg. These are not your ideal bags for lane splitting. Shad adds some spacers between the bike and the bag that end up pushing it out an inch and a half further total. I personally think they would look a hell of a lot better if the bag was molded to sit closer to the bike instead of taking the spacer shortcut. 20171113_111307.jpg

Fit. They obviously fit a full-face helmet and then some. For a 3 day trip, I had more than enough space for clothes, toiletries, etc. but I also had an 11l tank bag to compliment the side cases. I haven't done any camping with the current setup yet but a concern of mine is fitting a tent in them - would definitely need to be a relatively small backpacker's tent.

That said, I'm happy with them so far. And at the pricepoint, you really can't ask for much more.

As a side note, Shad USA has also been a breeze to work with.

20171112_155526.jpg
How much do they stick out past the handlebars?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
I made them narrower. Just cut and welded this part and bended a little where arrow is. 

Screenshot_1.png

The result 

IMG_20170223_164001.jpg IMG_20170223_164043.jpg
Could you be more specific on this revision?  More pics in section (viewed forward and backward to CL of bike/parts), or better a quick sketch with dimensions; i.e., a 3-view "shop drawing"? 
Thanks

• 2 months later...
I would think I will have to find a way to attach the tent poles separately and thermarest too.

How heavy are the the mounts for these cases? Since the side cases themselves aren't too heavy it's nice to keep the overall weight down a little bit. I was looking at the 50L Yamaha top case and the rear rack is really heavy. Also, I hope if I want to use a top case with these side cases the top case rack is lighter than the yamaha rear rack. I realize I am adding weight to the bike for touring purposes but would prefer I don't add too much.

They say not to use the side cases with a top case because of possible overloading. I guess you can still use both if you are sensible?

If I use a tail tidy, do I need to use one that extends out a little farther so the plate can be seen a bit better and not be hidden between the cases?

thanks in advance for any feedback,

smiley.png
2017 FJ-09 - Yoshimura Y-series Exhaust / MRA Sport Screen / Evotech Rad Guard & Fork Sliders / Custom LED Rear Tail Light / Lowering Links / Mirror Extenders / Low Seat / Tail Tidy / Shogun Swingarm Sliders - Touring mods > Madstad 20" screen (on standby) / SHAD SH36 Hard Cases / SW-Motech Rear Alu-rack - Mods not yet installed > Fender Extender - Mods on the way > MT09 Adventure Pegs / Sargent seats / Knuckle Guard leds / Speedtech Photon Flush Mount LED signals / SW Motech Frame Sliders

@morkys, I just put a thermarest in a dry bag across the rear seat and the ends sit over the SH36 cases. I hold the dry bag on with rokstraps.

The side mounts are quite light, I certainly do not notice them at all, because they are the essentially just two slim bars. Their mass is insignificant once you start loading the side cases. I have used a Givi 47 topbox with the SH36 and although it was noticeable that it was attached, as long as you put most of the heavy items in e the side cases you will be okay as this keeps the centre of gravity lower.

As for tail tidies, I suspect it would be better to have one which kept the indicators visible when the cases are on, but I’m sure I read someone on here saying that it wasn’t a big deal as they can still be seen clearly from behind.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

I also placed moto-reflective tape on the bags for more conspicuity.  

I had never heard of this before.  I just Google'd it and it looks awesome!  Motoreflective I'm going to place an order now.

Did you have the chance to try the reflective tape? I am wondering how effective and how easy it is to make a shape of it.

FJ-09 2015

Love my SH36's but now have a problem... one of the straps has come loose from where it was mounted. Any ideas on how to fix it? Am I to just try to shove it back in there?

20180503_193158.jpg

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

It's very hard to see... the outer ring (for lack of better word) where it is mounted under is removable so that's the next step.. just worried I will mess the other side up and not get it back in place.

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Anybody use a tail-tidy and side cases and allow their rear turn signals to be visible?
2017 FJ-09 - Yoshimura Y-series Exhaust / MRA Sport Screen / Evotech Rad Guard & Fork Sliders / Custom LED Rear Tail Light / Lowering Links / Mirror Extenders / Low Seat / Tail Tidy / Shogun Swingarm Sliders - Touring mods > Madstad 20" screen (on standby) / SHAD SH36 Hard Cases / SW-Motech Rear Alu-rack - Mods not yet installed > Fender Extender - Mods on the way > MT09 Adventure Pegs / Sargent seats / Knuckle Guard leds / Speedtech Photon Flush Mount LED signals / SW Motech Frame Sliders

Anybody use a tail-tidy and side cases and allow their rear turn signals to be visible?
I have a tail tidy with turn signals that are between the cases and an integrated tail light. Turn signals are not visible from the side (except front signals) but are visible from behind.

Fayetteville, GA, USA

@piotrek not sure where your response to my question went... but I was able to get the strap back in it's location (from what I can tell) by loosening the bolts holding the outer ring and using some auto trim tools to pry and push.. time will tell how successful I was.

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Archived