Looking for an ODB2 unit, but which one works?

megroovy

Hi all, I've bought the Yamaha 4-pin to ODB2 connector but I'm struggling to find any definitive options for the actual dongle. I know from a friend that the tiger 800 uses ODB2 v1.5 and not v2.x and I don't want to make the same mistake. 
Has anyone bought a dongle and can confirm it works or at least which version of ODB2 works? Thanks muchly. 

PS: for those that ask, I merely want this to read the engine codes, not to make any changes to the ECU. 

Panlong Bluetooth OBD2 OBDII Car Diagnostic Scanner

Autel MaxiScan MS300 CAN Diagnostic Scan Tool for OBDII Vehicles

These both work. The blutooth one you have to download a free app but it works great and you could even leave it plugged in while you ride and watch real time data.

I have used both to read and clear engine codes. Between the 2 i definitely recommend the blutooth because you can do so much more through the app. I think there are several apps but I use one called "torque" works great.

Keep it mind the one linked here is Android compatible so if you have an Iphone you'll need to find a different one.

Im sorry to interrupt but why is this even necessary? You can read and clear codes on the multifunction meter by going into diag-mode then resetting the fault code back to '0'.
[b 
pre 2017 you can IIRC
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

My question is similar to the OP's, do the pre-2017 bikes use the ODB2 standard? I was under the impression it was a proprietary protocol, would be good if it was odb2 - I'd like to link it to my camera - I've got a Virb and Garmin have a odb2 'dongle'.

• 2 weeks later...
My question is similar to the OP's, do the pre-2017 bikes use the ODB2 standard? I was under the impression it was a proprietary protocol, would be good if it was odb2 - I'd like to link it to my camera - I've got a Virb and Garmin have a odb2 'dongle'.

That I don’t know. According to Yamaha, they are not - but that doesn’t mean that an OBD 2 reader with an adapter wouldn’t work on 2015-16
US models.

Bueller?

-Skip

• 4 months later...
I can confirm that a CAN OBD2 scanner/reader, with a properly-wired 4-pin to OBD2 adapter cable, WILL read & clear codes on US 2017 Yamaha bikes.  I have a 2017 FJ-09, and, after installing the MCCruise cruise control, it triggered the "Check Engine" light.  Based on info from other people, I was under the (thankfully false) impression that the "only" way to clear the 'Check Engine' light on Yamaha's 2017 bikes was to take it to a dealer, as "official Yamaha diagnostics software" was the only thing that could clear the 'Check Engine' light.  However, after reading some info, I purchased an Autel Tech AutoLink AL319 ($25-45), and obtained a Yamaha 4-pin to OBD2 adapter cable (you can purchase on from Amazon, eBay, etc) for $20-30US, or make your own), and gave it a shot...and it cleared the 'Check Engine' light without any problems.  Before anyone else tries this, I suggest two things.  First, download/install Autel's MaxiLink2 software.  Second, update the AL319's firmware (*.bin file), as well as install the latest codes (*.aut file), all of which can be downloaded from Autel's website.  All-in-all, the $45-75 you'll spend will be well worth it, as it's not only "reusable", but can also be used on any 4-wheeled vehicles you might have.  It could potentially save you numerous trips to your motorcycle/auto dealership.

Archived