Footpeg Feeler Removal?

leedavis

It isn't hard to lean the FJ over enough to scrape those silly looking long peg feelers. Has anyone determined what part of the bike hits the road next if I remove them? If it's the footpegs then I'll remove the feelers but if it's something like the center stand then maybe not.

• Premium Member
It isn't hard to lean the FJ over enough to scrape those silly looking long peg feelers. Has anyone determined what part of the bike hits the road next if I remove them? If it's the footpegs then I'll remove the feelers but if it's something like the center stand then maybe not.
This bike has tons of clearance. Remove the feelers and you should be fine unless you ride like Rossi which is possible.  
There is a small wrenching flat near the top. Just unscrew the peg feeler:

20150116_102826_zps9a3673b7.jpg

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Those feelers came of immediately. I am suprised more owners have not mentioned the difficulty finding the side stand extension when wearing motorcycle boots.
Even with the feeler off I find it hard to catch, because the center stand extension is also very close. Has anyone found a solution?
I have never had this problem on any other bike I have owned. I did notice at least one Journalist mention this as a problem.

Sorry, but those things are hideous. Ducatis have never had them. You'll know what's scraping when your down and can't do a Marquez! Off they come along with the reflectors from hell!
Yeah, they gotta go and it's probably the footpegs that scrape next so no big deal. 
I'm sort of partial to Lorenzo.

While observing the installation of my new saddle bags, I asked the tech about cutting those feelers off because I've caught my shoe lace in them twice. Thanks for asking,no falls. He handed me a wrench and said, "Here they're screwed into the foot pegs." I donated them to his stash of take offs.

While observing the installation of my new saddle bags, I asked the tech about cutting those feelers off because I've caught my shoe lace in them twice. Thanks for asking,no falls. He handed me a wrench and said, "Here they're screwed into the foot pegs." I donated them to his stash of take offs.
I put mine in the storage box with the hand guards and the passenger grab handles.

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

• Premium Member
I added a picture to my post with the peg feeler slightly unscrewed with the wrench on the wrenching flat for future reference.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• 1 year later...
So today while cleaning my exhaust, I noticed I had no feeler on my right side footpeg.

I went back and looked at pictures I took on the day I bought the bike and it wasn't there then, so apparently I've never had it and never noticed it was missing before now :o

I wonder if that's something that gets put on during dealer setup or if it came from the factory like that. Obviously I don't care too much about missing the feeler but it does make me worry that if they missed that...what else could they have missed?

Mine have been gone since I tangled my shoelace in the left one.  While the technician was installing my bags, I asked about the feelers.  He took one off with a wrench and handed me the wrench.  Both have been gone, 7000 miles later... no problem.

I do worry about touching something solid down during spirited cornering... not good!  So far, I've ridden with some pretty fast company and not scraped anything.

Banshee

• Premium Member
Sorry, but those things are hideous. Ducatis have never had them. You'll know what's scraping when your down and can't do a Marquez! Off they come along with the reflectors from hell!
Yeah, they gotta go and it's probably the footpegs that scrape next so no big deal. 
I'm sort of partial to Lorenzo.
He's kinda cute isn't he. MM is too young and Rossi getting to old for my taste. 
Anyway, I removed these hideous things. My boots scraping the deck are the first thing that I notice if cornering enthusiastically, usually only high speed roundabouts...
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
Thanks for the info everyone, I always wondered what they were for, and assumed they were welded on the foot peg. They are now in a plastic bag with a few other useless parts to pass on to whomever I sell this bike to..........

Archived