Tailbag Options? (30L or larger)

Hey everyone,

Planning to do a couple trips this summer. 1 of them being from Toronto down to Tail of the Dragon. 

I have the yamaha hard cases, that each fit a full size helmet, but I was thinking it might be nice to get a good sized tail bag as well.

That way I'm not cramped for space and I get a backrest out of it.

Any suggestions? Looking for something 30L or larger.

• Premium Member
Hey everyone, 
Planning to do a couple trips this summer. 1 of them being from Toronto down to Tail of the Dragon. 

I have the yamaha hard cases, that each fit a full size helmet, but I was thinking it might be nice to get a good sized tail bag as well.

That way I'm not cramped for space and I get a backrest out of it.

Any suggestions? Looking for something 30L or larger.
Yamaha 39L with a lock that matches your ignition. 
IMG_2056.JPG
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm actually looking for a tailbag and not a top-case.

I never ride long distance 2-up and I would rather have the bag sitting at my back (to support a little bit).

Also looking for more soft-case than a hard case!

• Premium Member
Nelson Rig has a smaller version of the same tail bag that isn't quite as long and doesn't expand as much which fits on the passenger pillion better than the St I know because I have one use some rubber drawer liner under it so it doesn't slide as much and strap it to the underside of the seat with just two of the straps they provide four and you can pop off the pillion seat with the bag still on it

Not as big as you wanted, I am really happy with my mine and fits so nice on fj. Used this for my last 8 day ride. 
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/ogio-tail-bag

I wouldn’t want any bigger after using this one
That looks quite nice! 
Any reason why you say you wouldn't want bigger? Weight or does it start pushing against you?

Not as big as you wanted, I am really happy with my mine and fits so nice on fj. Used this for my last 8 day ride. 
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/ogio-tail-bag

I wouldn’t want any bigger after using this one
That looks quite nice! 
Any reason why you say you wouldn't want bigger? Weight or does it start pushing against you?

any bigger and it will start to push into back and I guess I just like the size as it fits just right on the back and great price.

Nelson Rig has a smaller version of the same tail bag that isn't quite as long and doesn't expand as much which fits on the passenger pillion better than the St I know because I have one use some rubber drawer liner under it so it doesn't slide as much and strap it to the underside of the seat with just two of the straps they provide four and you can pop off the pillion seat with the bag still on it
This guy? https://fortnine.ca/en/nelson-rigg-cl-1060-s-sport-tail-seat-bag-cl-1060-s

I have a Nelson-Rigg CL-1060-ST that I really love. It holds 25L and expands to 33L.  Link: https://fortnine.ca/en/nelson-rigg-cl-1060-st-touring-tail-seat-bag-cl-1060-st 
Pic on bike:
SDC10326.jpg

Wow this looks just about perfect for me. 
Looks great sitting on the bike... and it's on sale! Thanks for the suggestion!
No problem.  It does work great as a backrest.  This bag can be attached to the pillion with two straps so you can remove the rear seat and bag as one piece (very quick).  That is how I usually have it attached when I am running around town.  I can't do that with the soft bags shown in the picture because they have a large velcro strip that goes across the rear seat.

Wow this looks just about perfect for me. 
Looks great sitting on the bike... and it's on sale! Thanks for the suggestion!
No problem.  It does work great as a backrest.  This bag can be attached to the pillion with two straps so you can remove the rear seat and bag as one piece (very quick).  That is how I usually have it attached when I am running around town.  I can't do that with the soft bags shown in the picture because they have a large velcro strip that goes across the rear seat.
Watched a video on it... I don't see any quick release buckles. Is that correct? 
Maybe i could add my own. I would love to be able to take off the bag and leave the seat with the straps underneath

No real suggestion as I use all these. Have just acquired over the years.

Got this from a friend who had been riding a Harley. Worked okay, Harley luggage, but I didn't like the top lid, if you road off with it unzipped, stuff would disappear.  I lost a pair of Alpine star gloves.

tyicSDI.jpg

This was another tail bag that he gave me.  It works good, and is a Dowco Iron Rider.  Same problem with the top lid.  I lost a new S5 Samsung phone.

6YfFzAV.jpg

This Tour Master Unit, the biggest of all (24L-26L) I had originally picked up for the FZ-09.  When I made the tail rack, I sized the rack for this case and the one above.

cXyw7md.jpg 

The Tour Master worked great on the FZ09 placed on the seat, what you are looking to do for the FJ09.  Here is pic on the FZ.

lAPHloS.jpg

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Premium Member
I have a medium size," Biker's Friend" bag that straps over the passenger seat. It has a Vel -Cro attached back pad. Works very well. They come in several sizes. They're round cylinder in shape and very versatile.5740449.jpg

A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....