Tailbag Options? (30L or larger)

• Premium Member
Showing possibilities, not off. 
I engineered another small, light sport touring rocketship (look for my posts regarding my sportier launch vehicle) with enhanced and added systems to function to my specifications.

Priorities in order of importance were: Ergonomics (including air management and conditioning as a comfortable pilot can better maintain concentration), conspicuity (including lighting), brakes, engine response, suspension & tires, electric power system, instrumentation, threat detection, navigation, damage minimization, cargo capacity, and really, lastly speed enhancement.

.... phew! is there a tail bag in there somewhere? tongue.png 
IMG_20180125_202538.jpg

ROTFL!!!!!!  (rofl)  

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Premium Member
2 more pictures of the Cortech with a full size laptop in it. 

tail_bag_laptop_1.jpg

Hey, @fddriver2 , I'm assuming that's the 24 L Cortech 2.0 you've got there, yes?
Yes. That is a Cortech 2.0 24 Liter tailbag expanded to fit the laptop. It is a full sized laptop. 15" x 10" it's a bit snug getting in the opening but it does go in without being awkward. Plus there is room to put other stuff in there with it. 
The bag is a little bit "floppy" when expanded. The expanded (expanding?) material isn't as ridged as the rest of the bag. So the "ears" can move around some.

Hope that was helpful 

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/cortech-super-20-tail-bag

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

For rear bags - hard to beat the Ortlieb large roll-top bag - From Aerostich.
The one I have has seen both coasts on a couple bikes and NEVER been wet inside. Comes in yellow, red and black - mine yellow for hi vis.
It's 14x24 and USD 122 - a bargain for what it is & what it holds.
Ride well

A-stich_yellow_large_dry_bag.jpg

If anyone is considering a waterproof roll bag, there are lots of cheaper versions than the Ortlieb version posted above. Any of the ones used by kayakers or other watersports are fully waterproof and work really well.

Example:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lomo-40L-Dry-Bag-Holdall-Yellow-Waterproof-Duffel-Drybag/261996113074?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Premium Member
After checking out hands-on ALL readily available 40L +/1 roll-top dry bags I determined IMPO that the CG bag was comparable to all but the really expensive bags and got it on sale 10% off listed. What they don't tell you is it comes with 4 pretty decent mount straps and has a 2 year warranty, and often honor defects longer.

Probably not what the initiator of this thread is looking for but if you have top and side cases and no pillion buddy, a roll-top is a great means of waterproof storage if you do not need frequent access. And even then if it can be left attached, getting in is actually quick.

https://www.cyclegear.com/accessories/bilt-explorer-dry-bag

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Showing possibilities, not off. 
I engineered another small, light sport touring rocketship (look for my posts regarding my sportier launch vehicle) with enhanced and added systems to function to my specifications.

Priorities in order of importance were: Ergonomics (including air management and conditioning as a comfortable pilot can better maintain concentration), conspicuity (including lighting), brakes, engine response, suspension & tires, electric power system, instrumentation, threat detection, navigation, damage minimization, cargo capacity, and really, lastly speed enhancement.

20161028_180039.jpg

20161026_223755.jpg

20161026_225302.jpg

what is that toy shelf made out of? Is it t-track? 80/20? What are those RAM mounts that connect to it? I really like your idea smiley.png

• Premium Member
Yes, T-rack for water sports available in plastic and aluminum. RAM offers 1" ball mounts to fit. Fabed my own adjustable height brackets (2 heights of mounting holes) that sandwich between the upper wind screen mounting holes. T-bar height varies with height of screen; i.e., bikini, oem size Double Bubble and barn door Givi with adjustable spoiler.

Yes, T-rack for water sports available in plastic and aluminum. RAM offers 1" ball mounts to fit. Fabed my own adjustable height brackets (2 heights of mounting holes) that sandwich between the upper wind screen mounting holes. T-bar height varies with height of screen; i.e., bikini, oem size Double Bubble and barn door Givi with adjustable spoiler.
Nice idea. I like the bracket adjustment idea... might try to put something together myself

• 1 month later...
I have started shopping for a tail bag and had a couple of questions.

For the Ogio, does anyone have a picture of it on the FJ-09?

For the Nelson Rigg, some of the reviews on Amazon said that the sides collapsed unless the bag was full of stuff. Any experience with this?

Thanks.

Here's the Ogio, branded Dainese.
note it has an expansion zip too.
It has straps which I've looped under the rear seat to a carabiner, so the seat can come off with the bag attached, or the bag comes off via the plastic buckles.
Each side pocket will hold a plastic water bottle.
P_20180425_133055.jpg

• 4 months later...
No real suggestion as I use all these. Have just acquired over the years. 
Got this from a friend who had been riding a Harley. Worked okay, Harley luggage, but I didn't like the top lid, if you road off with it unzipped, stuff would disappear.  I lost a pair of Alpine star gloves.

tyicSDI.jpg

This was another tail bag that he gave me.  It works good, and is a Dowco Iron Rider.  Same problem with the top lid.  I lost a new S5 Samsung phone.

6YfFzAV.jpg

This Tour Master Unit, the biggest of all (24L-26L) I had originally picked up for the FZ-09.  When I made the tail rack, I sized the rack for this case and the one above.

cXyw7md.jpg 

The Tour Master worked great on the FZ09 placed on the seat, what you are looking to do for the FJ09.  Here is pic on the FZ.

lAPHloS.jpg

No real suggestion as I use all these. Have just acquired over the years. 
Got this from a friend who had been riding a Harley. Worked okay, Harley luggage, but I didn't like the top lid, if you road off with it unzipped, stuff would disappear.  I lost a pair of Alpine star gloves.

tyicSDI.jpg

This was another tail bag that he gave me.  It works good, and is a Dowco Iron Rider.  Same problem with the top lid.  I lost a new S5 Samsung phone.

6YfFzAV.jpg

This Tour Master Unit, the biggest of all (24L-26L) I had originally picked up for the FZ-09.  When I made the tail rack, I sized the rack for this case and the one above.

cXyw7md.jpg 

The Tour Master worked great on the FZ09 placed on the seat, what you are looking to do for the FJ09.  Here is pic on the FZ.

lAPHloS.jpg