Hello all looking for advice on a 2016 or 2017 FJ09

vapourtrails

Hello all

Newbie to the thread and almost a proud owner of an FJ09. I am picking one up in a month, but need advice...

I understand there are differences between 2016 and 2017 models. My fave local dealer has a good deal on a 2016 model that saves me $1400 over a 2017. However, the 2017 has the slipper clutch and I believe suspension improvements?? 

Need you folks to explain if these features are worth me saving the cash. That pays for my panniers though....lol

Cheers

no suspension upgrades...not even worth calling it an improvement...

the slip/assit clutch can be installed by you for $320(ish)

in all reality the slip/assit clutch reduces the clutch effort for the riders by 15% or so...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Supporting Member
My fave local dealer has a good deal on a 2016 model that saves me $1400 over a 2017.
What is the dealer asking for the 2016?  A quick search on Cycle Trader shows new 2016's are being sold for $8k or less (plus TTL) in some regions. 
Not much difference at all between the 3 model years, 2017 has an additional level of traction control and the Assist/slipper clutch, however the '17 model does not let you access the DIAG menu to clear fault codes or adjust the APS.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Good to know about the ability to install the slipper on my own. Even with that it saves me money. But the clutch lever is quite light from what I recall, and generally people don't have a problem with it. These models are brand new so I think I'll stick with the 2016. Cheers

I'm in the Burlington Hamilton area. The new Tracer 900 is $12,000 plus taxes and freight and fees. given that, a tracer 900 would cost me roughly $3,000 more with all those charges. Can't justify that coin.
These guys have the 2017 at $10,320 plus tax and license so not sure why your dealer or one in the GTA could not let a 2016 go for $9,500 or less. This is my bone of contention with dealers in Ontario, very rarely do they ever offer up good deals on older models. I walked into Yamaha of Newmarket and made them an offer for a 2015 they had on the floor, the offer was about $750 less than any other GTA dealer would consider and the guy wrote it up and she now sits in my garage. Call around and get some prices, if they quote a price make sure freight and pdi are included in the price and if not remind them that in accordance with OMVIC regulations freight and pdi must be included in the price and once you have an idea of the price range and walk into a dealer and offer them less, $500 to $800 less would be my starting point and don't let them BS you with admin fees. If you don't like their come back price thank them for their time and find another more flexible dealer. 
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-touring/barrie/2017-yamaha-fj-09-abs-45-00-weekly-oac/1328822369?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Do not let them pressure you into anything, there are a lot of 2015's and 2016's out there so this works in your favour.

Good luck with the hunting.

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...
My fave local dealer has a good deal on a 2016 model that saves me $1400 over a 2017.
What is the dealer asking for the 2016?  A quick search on Cycle Trader shows new 2016's are being sold for $8k or less (plus TTL) in some regions. 
Not much difference at all between the 3 model years, 2017 has an additional level of traction control and the Assist/slipper clutch, however the '17 model does not let you access the DIAG menu to clear fault codes or adjust the APS.

American prices hombre. Here in the great white north it's going to be closer to $10k canuck bucks.

• 10 months later...

Archived