Scraped the Higdonian Cage! Gotta take it easy.

• Premium Member
So...  I'm used to canyon carving some mountain roads.  I've removed the peg feelers and the center stand and will occasionally touch my boot toe during spirited summer riding.  I was taking it easy on my first mountain ride after installing this and discovered the Higdonian cage is the first to touch, and what felt like 'just taking it easy' pace.  Hrm, scraping hard parts before the cruisers?

[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiSDEBYph6s]

• Premium Member
Yikes! That wouldn’t work for me. That sounds like my buddy trying to keep up on his Harley.
yeah, it was scary having the back wheel lever out.  I don't think it's going to work for me long term. 

• Supporting Member
Eeek! Yeah, that’s no bueno. The few things I’ve touched down on the FJ have some give to them... pegs, centerstand on the right. That cage is solid, however, so I’m glad you got away with it. Interesting that this topic hasn’t come up before.

First, I'm glad all you needed was a new pair of underwear and not an ambulance ride.

I haven't had that happen. Probably an updated design? What's your sag like? Maybe your ride height is too low.

'15 FJ09

• Premium Member
First, I'm glad all you needed was a new pair of underwear and not an ambulance ride. 

I haven't had that happen. Probably an updated design? What's your sag like? Maybe your ride height is too low.
I'm pretty sure the rear shock preload is all the way up, or one click off of max. Though, it's a stock spring on a stock shock. I'm at 225 with gear, so I'm a little heavy for it.  I set it last winter when the bike was fairly new and have put 10k miles on it since.  I'm wondering if it's settled/compressed since then, and I should revisit the rear sag settings.  I'd love to upgrade the suspension bits, especially given the 'spirited' riding I enjoy.
Also, given few others have reported anything like this, I don't think the cage design is an issue.  For commuting and normal riding, I've found it to be an amazing product.  I just don't see doing a track day with this cage, which was one of my goals this year.

I'm pretty sure the rear shock preload is all the way up, or one click off of max. Though, it's a stock spring on a stock shock. I'm at 225 with gear, so I'm a little heavy for it.  I set it last winter when the bike was fairly new and have put 10k miles on it since.  I'm wondering if it's settled/compressed since then, and I should revisit the rear sag settings.  I'd love to upgrade the suspension bits, especially given the 'spirited' riding I enjoy.
Also, given few others have reported anything like this, I don't think the cage design is an issue.  For commuting and normal riding, I've found it to be an amazing product.  I just don't see doing a track day with this cage, which was one of my goals this year.

Ah. I'm 160 / 170 without / with gear so I don't compress the suspension nearly as much as you. And indeed, the TD + cage would not work well. @comm3 has the trail cage, is about your weight and frequently rides 2up. I *think* he rode without the upgraded suspension for a bit. But I know with the new suspension he's been railing without issue. And that dude rails.

'15 FJ09

Eeek! Yeah, that’s no bueno. The few things I’ve touched down on the FJ have some give to them... pegs, centerstand on the right. That cage is solid, however, so I’m glad you got away with it. Interesting that this topic hasn’t come up before.
It has come up before, as I noted it shortly after getting my cage.  I scrape now and then, worries me, but I have never levered out the rear tire.  Usually it happens when there is a dip in the corner and I'm hitting it pretty hard.  I weigh 150 lbs.  Your weight may be an issue with the cages.  It happen with the stock suspension and with the Traxxion front shocks and Ohlin rear shock too.  I have not tightened them up to raise the bike because I'm trying to keep the highway comfortable.  I'm going to contact Kris and see if we can come up with a fix. 
Go back and read the early posts, and you find some where jeff400650 was grinding down (clicky) the edges to reduce this issue.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Archived