Sargent Seat, first impressions

Hi,
I just got a Sargent Seat for my FJ 2016. Took about 3 weeks ... yet finally got it. I tested it for a short ride, about 45 mins, one hour. I did not felt big difference vs the stock one... got a bit surprised. I'm 1,91 mts, 130 Kgs ... body weight I assume is a factor, on seat performance / perception; for the $ I payed I expected more indeed...  I read great reviews on this one, compared with the uncomfortable stock seat that for long rides is not good, compared to the Sargent one. 
The seat instruction says that it might need an "adaptation" time... I assume to have the body mold a bit? I'll test it today on a 3 hour ride and check if it improves... 

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
Hi, I just got a Sargent Seat for my FJ 2016. Took about 3 weeks ... yet finally got it. I tested it for a short ride, about 45 mins, one hour. I did not felt big difference vs the stock one... got a bit surprised. I'm 1,91 mts, 130 Kgs ... body weight I assume is a factor, on seat performance / perception; for the $ I payed I expected more indeed...  I read great reviews on this one, compared with the uncomfortable stock seat that for long rides is not good, compared to the Sargent one. 
The seat instruction says that it might need an "adaptation" time... I assume to have the body mold a bit? I'll test it today on a 3 hour ride and check if it improves... 

Put some more miles on it. Those are like kilometers but bigger. My Sargent seat is a much better seat than the oem. It will take some time to break in. Heck, the day I got it I took a 600 mile ride. I have 30,000 miles on mine and think it’s my best after market part.

Let’s go Brandon

• Supporting Member
Hi, I just got a Sargent Seat for my FJ 2016. Took about 3 weeks ... yet finally got it. I tested it for a short ride, about 45 mins, one hour. I did not felt big difference vs the stock one... got a bit surprised. 

When I had my custom seat made, I was to told to put at least 1,000 miles on it before coming back in for any alterations.   Right after getting it made we left on a 2,800+ mile trip to Utah.  Plenty of time for break-in. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Ordered one last week, still waiting on delivery. When I bought a new seat for my old M50 I remember thinking I wasted my money at first but after a decent break it it was quite a bit better. Would hope the same on this. Definitely let us know what you think after a few more long days.

• 5 months later...
It has been about 1,500 kms with it. I can say that it had adjusted... Yesterday I did a trip of nearly 3 hours... And yes, was better than the OEM. You can have more time on it.. With the OEM after 1 or 2 hours, was a pain

• 5 months later...

My new sargent seat arrived yesterday, and I can’t see how spending time on it is going to help - it seems like my tail (Height -weight apprropriate) is about half the size of the rider they had in mind.  And it leans down into the tank, pulling me forward. The workmanship is top notch, but the design...  well.  Is there anyone who can take this seat and fix it to fit me?  I have assumed the oem seat is a lost cause.  I’m “this” close to ditching the bike over this, as much as I love the rest of it - it looks like its going to take a couple thousand $ to just get the riding position to fit me, and I’m about as average in size as one can get.  Open to ideas at this point. 

• Supporting Member
52 minutes ago, markb said:

My new sargent seat arrived yesterday, and I can’t see how spending time on it is going to help - it seems like my tail (Height -weight apprropriate) is about half the size of the rider they had in mind.  And it leans down into the tank, pulling me forward. The workmanship is top notch, but the design...  well.  Is there anyone who can take this seat and fix it to fit me?  I have assumed the oem seat is a lost cause.  I’m “this” close to ditching the bike over this, as much as I love the rest of it - it looks like its going to take a couple thousand $ to just get the riding position to fit me, and I’m about as average in size as one can get.  Open to ideas at this point. 

Have you looked into a custom seat? I tried a few different aftermarket seat options that did not work for me before finally going to a custom seat shop and having one built just for me.   I have a buddy who also owns an FJ and he got a custom seat built as well and the difference is night and day, no more sloping down into the tank and measured and fit specifically to your anatomy.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I would be interested in a custom seat but dont know anyone in my area that can do the work.   In the middle of everywhere misdouri, highly motivated and talented craftsmen are very hard to find in any domain.  

I have a sargent seat and felt the same way about sliding towards the tank.   What I did was pick up a sports seat foam pad, cut and shaped a small piece of foam that felt like it would keep me from sliding towards the tank.  Then I pulled back the sargent cover and installed the foam piece and then stapled the cover back on.  It made quite a difference keeping me from sliding into the tank.   It also took me about 4000 kms to really break it in.  

• 2 weeks later...

I thought about doing that - however it seems like this seat is designed for someone so much larger than myself that I would end up needing to rebuild the entire seat, keeping only the pan.  If I'm going to have to do that, I might as well do it to the original one.  Thanks for your idea though.  I'm glad your modification worked out for you.

1 hour ago, markb said:

I thought about doing that - however it seems like this seat is designed for someone so much larger than myself that I would end up needing to rebuild the entire seat, keeping only the pan.  If I'm going to have to do that, I might as well do it to the original one.  Thanks for your idea though.  I'm glad your modification worked out for you.

its really not that hard...had mine done in about a half of an hour.  just need a staple gun some firm foam. i only had to unstaple the front part so every thing still lined up and had enough vinyl to cover the small mound i made of foam...it is quite small....its all you need.

• 2 years later...

Decided to add to this thread. 

I've had my front Sargent seat for all summer now and it still hurts after an hour on my 2015.  It's at both left and right "sit" bones in my butt. I'm 6ft 2 in, 32 inseam and 350 lbs.

Contacted Sargent and they said I can ship it back and they'll add an inch of foam for $110 and ship it back for $20.

Is this worth it?  Will an inch help?

Good thing is I got the seat for $250 shipped, got in on one of the deals. Seat now is $420 !!!

Butt comfort is my only problem with the longer rides I want to take.

• Thumbsup 1

Thanks, I just don't know.  I love the looks of the Sargent plus that the base is wider but surprised that it's still like a brick. I think they are too worried about seat height. No problem for me.

Anyone else want to chime in?

Edited by peteinpa

I went from a Sagent to the Seth Laam.  Sent my stock seat into him and it took about 6 weeks.  It pretty much solves all the issues including the forward lean and its much much better then stock but I won't go so far to say that it's perfect.  I don't think any seat is though....