Lunch ride over the "Lions Trail" and "Caliente Creek"

partypat

On March 9th between rainstorms we had a nice Friday to ride.   My buddy and fellow FJ09 owner (on this forum as @Popcorn he said) made plans for a lunch ride.   Fortunately we've got some fantastic motorcycle roads handy. 

We left our home town of Tehachapi, CA and rode down the windy pre-freeway road called Woodford Tehachapi road to the little town of Keene.   From there we had to get onto the Westbound 58 freeway for a few miles.  Unfortunately that is the only road West....  

We exited South at the 223 and took the Edison HWY a short distance to the beginning of Caliente Bodfish Road.  This road is about 50 miles of corners between Edison Hwy-Caliente-Havilah-Lake Isabella.  Almost never a straight section....   Just miles of peg dragging fun.  This road is known as "the Lions Trail" and if you ever get a chance to ride it, take it.....   It's paved but narrow with some cattle (used to bikes/cars). 

We continued on to Kernville, CA and the Kern River Brewing Company for lunch and refreshment (excellent food, and beer).  

We returned via an alternate route through Twin Oaks that follows the Caliente Creek down a narrow winding canyon.    

Excellent day trip with almost zero traffic to deal with.   No fuel except near Lake Isabella/Kernville so gas up.

Cheers,
PartyPat

twofj09.jpg

Well done. Do you ever continue west on 223 to Arvin and then back uphill? It has been years since i have taken 223 on a motorcycle eastbound, headed to Eufalla, Oklahoma. Also enjoyed it in my old Z3, especiall eastbound. Nice country, Tehatchapi. Hwy 58 not bad compared to Bay Rea freeways. Enjoy.

My goal is to stay off freeways as much as possible.   I've ridden rural roads all the way to San Luis Obispo and up the cost a bit and back from time to time.  

I need to get over towards Ojai and enjoy the windy roads down to Malibu.   I haven't done that yet.

I'm lucky and spoiled that I have the Lions Trail North of me, plus heading South all of the Angeles Crest roads to ride when the weather is nice.   In California that is most of the time. 

Cheers,
Pat

In early May, we will be passing through there on the way north to the Calistoga 1/2 Mile. Always fun, sometimes we even see a train go through the Tehachapi Loop. Kern River Brewing Co. is a great place for lunch.
john

After leaving Marina, World Superbike Races, I will head South and then turn north on 223.  I was planning on doing the "Lions Trail", didn't know it had a name, only that it was a windy road on the maps.  Will spend the night in Paradise Cover (Lodge) after riding around Lake Isabella.  So thanks for the thumbs up on the Caliente - Bodfish Rd.  as I was looking forward to it.   

Looking for conformation on the 178 and 155 loop ride I have planned for the following morning.  Are these roads worth the ride?  On the map, they look like they may be interesting and therefore fun.  

Lake_Isabella_area_ride.jpg

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

After leaving Marina, World Superbike Races, I will head South and then turn north on 223.  I was planning on doing the "Lions Trail", didn't know it had a name, only that it was a windy road on the maps.  Will spend the night in Paradise Cover (Lodge) after riding around Lake Isabella.  So thanks for the thumbs up on the Caliente - Bodfish Rd.  as I was looking forward to it.    
Looking for conformation on the 178 and 155 loop ride I have planned for the following morning.  Are these roads worth the ride?  On the map, they look like they may be interesting and therefore fun.  

Lake_Isabella_area_ride.jpg

Paradise Cove is a great place to stay but not fancy.   Get the Prime Rib if you can....  Excellent little Restaurant.   
The Road circling Lake Isabella is fun but nothing like the Lions Trail.   More sweeping turns and CHP on the prowl.  

The road through Woody, Glenville, over Alta Sierra, and Wofford Heights is great when the weather is warmer.  Expect snow and cinder on the road this time of year in the mountains.  It's 7000ft at the top.

If you can find "Round Mountain Road" between Bakersfield and Granite Road you will have some fun as well.

Cheers
Pat

Archived