Judge my crappy homemade wind shield.

nicksta43

It's that time of year again here in Texas.

Time for the big ugly Winter stuff to come off.IMG_20180321_161755625.jpg And the sexy Summer bikini stuff to go on.
IMG_20180321_184357491.jpg

This is the same little homemade screen I've been running for the last couple years. However something about how it looks is bugging me this year. More on that in a bit.

I did change up how it's mounted this year. I tested it on the Givi mount but didn't like that look at all. After seeing the pictures of someone else doing something similar here a while ago I used the longer bolts and spacers from the Givi kit to shim out the bottom of the factory mount. I also added a small spacer in between the shield and the mount. Aesthetically, I really like how the shield more closely follows the contour of the body work.

IMG_20180321_184528603_HDR.jpgIMG_20180321_184445208.jpg

On to what I'm not liking about the look of the shield. When I made it I followed the angle of the bottom and sides of the stock screen. I just made it wider and shorter. I also clipped the top corners way too much. I've lived with it until now but it's bugging me so I'm thinking of making a new one.

I kinda like how wide it is. I could go wider or narrower. I don't want to go any taller. Just enough to come above the top of the instrument cluster is all I'm looking for. This one is about perfect in that regard. I don't know what to do about the top corners. I really think I clipped them too much. I don't think just a straight 90 degree corner with a small radius would look good. I could clip them again just take a little less off or go with a big radius instead of a clip. Or I could just run this one and forget about it. I don't know I'm kind of at the analysis paralysis stage.

What do you guys think?

Here are a couple more pictures that shows it better.

IMG_20180321_184454007_HDR.jpgIMG_20180321_184550638_HDR.jpgIMG_20180321_184346097_2.jpg

Performance aside, it's my opinion that if you painted it to match the bike's red paintwork it would look about 1000% better.   Right now, it looks like what it is - an add-on or an afterthought... no diss.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Performance aside, it's my opinion that if you painted it to match the bike's red paintwork it would look about 1000% better.   Right now, it looks like what it is - an add-on or an afterthought... no diss.

Yeah, I can see how it looks a bit afterthoughtish.

I can't picture in my mind's eye what it might look like body colored. As it is the sheen matches the factory plastics pretty well. I'll have to think about that.

Yeah, I can see how it looks a bit afterthoughtish.

I can't picture in my mind's eye what it might look like body colored. As it is the sheen matches the factory plastics pretty well. I'll have to think about that.

Buy a cheap sheet of self-adhesive PVC (from any craft shop I'm sure) in as close a colour-match as you can find, stick 'er on, and compare!   Or maybe some clever person here can achieve the same via Photoshop or whatever...

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I would add some small spacers behind the top mounting holes. The shield looks strangely flat, I think a little bit of rise would help compliment the lines of the bike.

That's where I disagree. It now matches the lines of the bike and looks better than the stock angle and the exaggerated Givi angle. In my opinion of course.

As far as performance as wordsmith eluded to I prefer a naked bike and like the fact that with the shorty the wind hits me about mid chest with my helmet out in completely clean air. It's just what I prefer. I'll gladly hide behind that big Givi during the folder months but as soon as the temps get above 70° it so I'm suffocating behind it. Also the bike feels so much smaller with all that stuff off the front end.

• Supporting Member
IMHO, I think you are on the right track but to me it looks out of proportion to the rest of the bike. It looks too short to me by maybe 3"-4", it should be slightly taller than the gauges.
Color-wise, I think it matches the other matte black parts on the bike very closely.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

That's where I disagree. It now matches the lines of the bike and looks better than the stock angle and the exaggerated Givi angle. In my opinion of course.
Fair enough, do what you think looks good.

'15 FJ09

I love my Givi Riot shield for when it gets below 40°F but hate that it acts as an sound amplifier by directing the sound of the bike right at me.. I still kinda dislike the stock windscreen but its growing on me slowly...

if your happy with your DIY windscreen, leave it but since its a DIY you do got the freedom to experiment with diffrent shapes/angles to suit YOU
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Premium Member
I say WELL DONE. :)  I like how you think. Flyscreen for hot weather gives MAX air flow.

I also did something similar this winter.

uvGeh10gRNz3MfjPA0VCfmUmR7lzf3qRYcjmBpg3qQGE7HnJd-MGOUBqD3J72giy_YmXVzP_WbfwnX0B4BX9sc4k1OPf7QiXEnvsZNB2dRsZpOwVkaETfIWCK9LEG3zuX_qKFoASWA=w2400

2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

Archived