Front Brake Issue

betoney

• Supporting Member
Yesterday I upgraded to the larger R1 320mm rotors, I paired them with Vesrah RJL pads.  Rotors and pads are both brand new.  
I went for a test ride today to bed in the pads and had almost no bite while slowing down, as if there was very little friction between pad and rotor, the brake lever has decent feel though.

I was careful not to touch the surface of the rotor or pads to avoid contamination, but I also did not prep the brake or rotor surface in any way.

Should I remove the pads and scuff them?
The test ride was only about 35 miles, should I ride a bit longer to get more bite to the pads?

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
I've never scuffed pads when replacing them, but almost always scuffed the rotors. Some are coated for storage. Came with instructions?
No, neither pads or rotors came with instructions, just factory packaging.   
I never knew rotors could be coated for storage.  What did you use to scuff the rotors? Scotch Bright? Fine sand paper? 

• Premium Member
I e never changed rotors on a bike. I have changed to many to count on cars and trucks. I always clean them with brake cleaner before installing.

Let’s go Brandon

• Premium Member
Red Scotchbrite pads with 91% isopropyl alcohol (l qt square bottles of alky from Wal-Mart, Walgreens, CVS, etc accept standard pump sprayers). Remove pads and spin elevated wheel spraying liberally with alky and scrub with alky soaked pad, Rinse well with CRC brake cleaner. Brush pads on bench carefully with very fine stainless steel wire brush and rinse well with alky.

Be sure to apply a thin coat of molybdenum lube to returning pins.

Read about pad/rotor bed-in procedures. Some take it easy for 100 miles, others do 5 hard stops from 40 mph, keep off brakes for a mile or two, then repeat 4 times, etc. Others still do a combo of 2 methods...

• Supporting Member
Aren't the Vesrah RJL dedicated racing pads? AKA, not for street use?
No.  They are a sintered metal HH compound pad, (HH stamped on the backing plate) just like the EBC HH pads everyone on here was talking about recently.  . 

I don't remember their compounds off the top of my head, and marketing departments liberally use "racing pads". Gets confusing, thought I'd double check.

@piotrek:
If the pad is truly a dedicated race pad "Not for street use" will be stamped on the back. Those kinds of pads will not function very well on the street unless you're riding very aggressively. The race only pads require a lot of heat to function properly.

'15 FJ09

I suspect it is just the pads wearing into the micro grooves of the new rotors. Until they’re exactly shaped to each other you have effectively reduced the contact area significantly. A 50 mile ride of deliberate braking from a range of speeds and they should bed in perfectly.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Archived