No locks in the Genuine Yamaha Accessories hard side bags

I bought a set of Genuine Yamaha Assesories side bags for my 2015 FJ-09 from Motosport. When they arrived there were no locks in the bags.
I called them today to order some locks because they don't have them listed in their inventory.
The rep tells me that they don't have locks to sell for these side bags. And he has no idea how or where to get them.
I was hoping to get matching locks to the ignition on the bike. Absolutely zero.
I have a Genuine Yamaha Top Case that has a lock in it. So why no locks in the bags.
Hopefully someone here has had the same experience and can point me in the correct direction.

Thanks much, JimSter

• Supporting Member
@jimster - You have unfortunately discovered the reality of Yamaha’s accessories business: Many products have additional required items. If you look at the following link, it lists the hard bags (right and left sold separately, of course...) and the required lock set and lower mounting brackets.

https://www.shopyamaha.com/product/details/hard-saddlebags?b=Sport+Touring+Accessories&d=48&f=2017|235&ls=yamaha-motor-company

Following the links, it appears to be the 3 lock set (part number 5P5-28406-01-00) you will need, along with the lower mounting brackets (part number 2PP-F84G0-V0-00).

I only have the side cases, so I have the third lock as a spare (presumably to fit the top box if I ever purchased one). They don’t match the bike’s ignition key, however, so I carry both the bike key and luggage key. There MAY be a way to rekey for all to match, but I haven’t ever looked into it. Perhaps someone else on the forum has some insights here..

I have the hard cases and I also bought them from MotoSport. You are correct that they do not have the lock set listed on their site but you can purchase elsewhere. I think that I may have bought mine through ebay. You can re-key the locks to fit your ignition key fairly easily. There are many write-ups and video's on the web with instruction. If you need help just PM me and I'll help out as best as I can.

as and edit, I believe that the lock set may be on the FJR1300 OEM parts fiche. I guess Yamaha couldn't figure out how to include it with the FJ-09. ;)

What a pain in the ass! 
You spend $600 for a set of luggage and they still want $80 for a set of locks.
That's why I bought SHADs

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

On 4/23/2018 at 6:40 PM, jimster said:
What a pain in the ass! 
You spend $600 for a set of luggage and they still want $80 for a set of locks.

Note that’s for 3 locks, that way you have an extra for the center, luggage rack mounted bag. *Edit* (will NOT work the the 39L case, see below)

More value for your $

Funny, you didn’t complain about the cost of the mounting brackets?

-Skip

Edited by skipperT
  • Thumbsup 1

Part Shark has a listing for the lock sets : https://www.partshark.com/oemcatalogs/p/yamaha_motorcycle_street_2015_fj_09/yamaha_motorcycle_accessories-luggage/56329db687a866079834c238/side-case-lock-set

Side Case Lock Set

Item: 5P5-28406-01-00

3 lock, 2 key set

Retail Price: $82.99

Your Price: $64.18

Qty:

Ships in 2-4 Business Days

Side Case Lock Set

Item: 5P5-28406-09-00

1 lock, 2 key set

Retail Price: $29.99

Your Price: $23.86

• 2 years later...

Late to the party here, but a heads up anyway. The three key lockset will NOT work with the 39l or 50l topcases that are sold by yamaha for the tracer or fj09. They will work for the tracer/fj city side cases, but ONLY work with the FJR touring topcases. I found this out the hard way🤕 

• 3 months later...

TBH, Yamaha's shopping website kinda sucks 😕   Doing most of my shopping through Revzilla atm.

Thanks guys for the heads up on the 39L case since thats the one I'm considering...  Why you would not make that match the sidecases I have no idea...   if I do go with that topcase I suspect I'm going to have a conversation with a locksmith...

• Supporting Member

I was able to easily re-key my side bags to match the ignition by watching a you tube video.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFoke2TS1O8

Here is a thread that discusses that..

https://www.tracer900.net/topic/1362-how-to-key-side-cases-locks-to-the-ignition-key/?tab=comments#comment-14288

I would like to trade some of the tumblers / wafers if anyone else has a need.

I have extra numbers  1,3 &6's.      I need some numbers 2's. 

I have.... 4 extra number 1's,     6 extra number 3's      and 3 extra number 4's.

I need.... 6 number 2's.

I also have a motor cycle helmet lock with two keys to trade for the number 2's or some miscellaneous parts from the 3 camlock set part number 5P5-28406-01

I've got cash too 😐

Send me a message through this forum if interested.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

I'm looking to re-key my touring bags, so just might be trading some gear with you, if shipping to/from Canada is OK.

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount