Dragon Newb

koth442

I'm in southern Missouri, Rolla to be exact. I'm going on a motorcycle - errrr- "business" trip to Knoxville next week. Since the Dragon is so close by I'd like to swing down there and ride that. I'm seeking road suggestions anywhere and everywhere in between.

Wednesday: Mostly slab travel. I'll find a creative way to head East towards the interstate, but I do need to be alert on Thursday for conference malarky. 

Thursday: Try not to make an idiot out of myself as I present our research to Boeing, GKN, DMG / Mori, etc

Friday AM: Tour Oakridge National Lab Manufacturing Demonstration Facility

Firday PM: LINK Would like to make it to Nashville or so. May adjust based Saturday constraints. Point is, I need to be home Saturday night.

Saturday: LINK Head the rest of the way home, avoiding the freeway as much as possible.

Suggestions?

'15 FJ09

Made a few tweaks on your map... link I modified your route out of tellico... you'll thank me! And the section on 30 before and after Pikeville.... AMAZING if you hit it with no traffic!

Also if you do jet up 111.... I pin pointed some of my favorite roads in Middle Tennessee! You won't be disappointed on any of these... hardly ever any traffic on them as well.  96, 290, 135, 85, 52, all great roads.

Google_maps.jpg

• Premium Member
Have a good ride. I'd recommend in LBL to turn right at 134 to 133 then right on the main road (453) to Grand Rivers. Going east to west on the main road isn't that interesting. If you really want to stop at that main visitor center, then head north on 453 after the visitor center. Shouldn't be much more distance but more interesting. The roads outside LBL in that side of KY are pleasant, boring farmland.

• 5 months later...
Again, if you have the time... it is both safer and more enjoyable to stay off the super slab and avoid the interstates. Set the GPS to Deals Gap and enjoy the ride.

Again, if you have the time... it is both safer and more enjoyable to stay off the super slab and avoid the interstates. Set the GPS to Deals Gap and enjoy the ride.
Not sure I'd agree with you that it's safer. No one on an interstate is trying to pull out in front of me from a stop or turn left in front of me. 
Definitely more enjoyable though.

Not sure I'd agree with you that it's safer. No one on an interstate is trying to pull out in front of me from a stop or turn left in front of me. 
Definitely more enjoyable though.
Statistics show that the slab is quite a bit safer actually, and most likely for the reason stated above. Like 60+% of fatalities occur on local roads vs like 15-20% highway

My experience has been that the interstates are dirty, fast and dangerous. Yes, it requires an additional level of attention riding unknown secondary roads but the small towns and country roads are clean, fun, and slower.Statistics be what they may, if you hit a tire retread your DONE and your unlikely to travel 12k miles on an interstate without a flat tire. I rode to Alaska from Florida and back without a single issue, all secondary roads! To each their own.

• Premium Member
I just don't like riding on the interstate, so I stay on the state highways instead. Sometimes, if I need to get somewhere fast, I may take the interstate for a short time, but I can't imagine riding a motorcycle long distances on our US interstate system. So many more fun roads to take....

My experience has been that the interstates are dirty, fast and dangerous. Yes, it requires an additional level of attention riding unknown secondary roads but the small towns and country roads are clean, fun, and slower.Statistics be what they may, if you hit a tire retread your DONE and your unlikely to travel 12k miles on an interstate without a flat tire. I rode to Alaska from Florida and back without a single issue, all secondary roads! To each their own.
I'm sure all of us enjoy riding secondary roads to interstates.  
I've run over retread and didn't get a flat. Hell, all the flats I've gotten were on surface streets. Interstates are much more heavily trafficked so most debris is kicked out of the wheel tracks by cars.

'15 FJ09

Archived