saddle bags and top cases

Good morning, I did a search but couldn't find a thread on Givi saddlebags and Topcases.

so if there was one, point me in that direction and we can close this one.

I have owned my FJ for about 2 1/2 months and looking at putting on saddlebags/topcase.  they are expensive.  so I have questions as I can't buy them all at the same time.

1.  which would you get first, top or saddle and why?
2.  for Topcases, what size is big enough but not too big.( i have seen 56L/47L/26L, etc...)
3.  is it worth paying the money for the lighting kit?

I appreciate you all, and enjoy my FJ as well as the forums very much.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1. Top case. I have both, but the top case got used so much more often that I took the saddle bags off except for long trips. It is far more convenient to lay things horizontally and have the ability to top load. 

2. I have the 50L Yamaha. I have never said to myself "this is too big". The fact that the top case is twice the volume of one side case probably has a large impact on why I use the top case much more than side cases. 

3. I don't think the lights and associated wiring is worth the hassle. 

1. Top case. I have both, but the top case got used so much more often that I took the saddle bags off except for long trips. It is far more convenient to lay things horizontally and have the ability to top load.  
2. I have the 50L Yamaha. I have never said to myself "this is too big". The fact that the top case is twice the volume of one side case probably has a large impact on why I use the top case much more than side cases. 

3. I don't think the lights and associated wiring is worth the hassle. 
Thank you so much.  kmev.  That helps.  I was thinking of getting the top case 1st as it is a little less expensive as well than the saddle bags.

I have the Givi V47 topbox but also Shad SH36 and SH23 side cases (and a Kriega US20 seat bag).

Of them all, I use the topbox the least. Pros: can take a full face helmet and jacket if I plan to stop somewhere and walk around; it doesn’t make the bike wider so is ideal for getting into the city, lane splitting etc. Cons: it’s really ugly; it puts any weight right where you don’t want it (high up and far back).

I haven’t felt any need to buy a light kit for it.

The Kriega bag is my go-to pack for work and carrying small stuff. Pros: light, removable, waterproof, just enough space for smart trousers, shoes, lunch and a bit of paperwork/ipad. Cons: not secure if left on the bike

Side cases are great (keep the weight low and forward/centrally) but compromise bike width if that’s a concern for you. SH23 are cheap and a useful size for everyday, but won’t take a helmet. Being top loaders you just throw everything in. SH36 will take a full face helmet and are what I take for longer journeys.

In all, try and clarify what you will be using your luggage for, but you may still end up with a range of bags anyway. ?

Don’t even start me on tank bags....

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Your style/type of riding and where you live will help dictate luggage priorities I would think. Mostly, for regular commuting, a top box would be fine..... it is for me. But if you have any gear, laptop, extra stuff for your work, you may require side bags. On the commuting front, side bags are good for carrying rain gear, a small bag of tools and other niceties. Think about what you (want/need) to carry and when.

I have the Yamaha OEM top case (39L?). The smaller one, it came with my FJ and also the Yamaha bags. You may or may not have read that the Yamaha FJR saddlebags are compatible with the FJ-09 and have slightly larger lids. Should a used set become available to you. ;)

Your style/type of riding and where you live will help dictate luggage priorities I would think. Mostly, for regular commuting, a top box would be fine..... it is for me. But if you have any gear, laptop, extra stuff for your work, you may require side bags. On the commuting front, side bags are good for carrying rain gear, a small bag of tools and other niceties. Think about what you (want/need) to carry and when.  
I have the Yamaha OEM top case (39L?). The smaller one, it came with my FJ and also the Yamaha bags. You may or may not have read that the Yamaha FJR saddlebags are compatible with the FJ-09 and have slightly larger lids. Should a used set become available to you. wink.png

I have heard that the fjr are compatible, but trying to find those is a unicorn hunt, or I am not looking in the right spot.

in response to the type of riding, etc, it is mostly commuting with laptop and rain coat.  eventually I will get into the touring, and all that.  I just want something right now that will hold some gear so I won't have to wear a back pack for a little while(see HOT IN GEORGIA)...

as far as the tail bag goes, that is great until I ride 2 up.  I will get one of those as well, but also want to be able to ride 2up and the tail bag won't allow that.

First, as the manual clearly states, "So not use both side & top cases at the same time." Veggie anyone starts giving me flack for having said that, one first needs to think about WHY they say that. If you are loading up all three cases with lots of stuff...especially heavy stuff, and, more importantly, in regards to the top case...it does two things. First, it raises the center of gravity. This, in & of itself, isn't a real problem, as a second rider raises the center of gravity considerably more, plus a top case doesn't raise if by all that much. However...second, it moves the center of gravity rearward, and by a considerable amount, as the top case will be BEHIND the rear wheel. This could be dangerous, especially if the top case is loaded with moderate-to-heavy weight.

Now, that being said, I currently have the V35 side cases, with the Admore Lightning Dual-LED kit installed (red running/brake, amber turn signal). I'd say that the LED kit was VERY much worth it. Even with everything I said in the first paragraph, I'm still considering a top case...although I do NOT have any plans to load it with lot of stuff. It's purpose would be to carry light items (windbreaker, sweatshirt, & lighter items while riding...and helmets when we're off the bike). I have no intention of installing lightning in the top case, as the LEDs in the side cases are more than enough. Besides, while I/we might ride with the side cases & without the top case, I'd/we'd never be riding with the top case & without the side cases (ie. for shorter trips, each V35 side case can hold a helmet). This would keep the center of gravity lower, and the (loaded) bike safer to ride. That's my "2 cents worth", and I'm sticking with it.

I have the Yamaha OEM top case (39L?). The smaller one, it came with my FJ and also the Yamaha bags. You may or may not have read that the Yamaha FJR saddlebags are compatible with the FJ-09 and have slightly larger lids. Should a used set become available to you. wink.png

I have heard that the fjr are compatible, but trying to find those is a unicorn hunt, or I am not looking in the right spot.
Ebay and the FJR forum are good places to look for used cases.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

First, as the manual clearly states, "So not use both side & top cases at the same time." Veggie anyone starts giving me flack for having said that, one first needs to think about WHY they say that. If you are loading up all three cases with lots of stuff...especially heavy stuff, and, more importantly, in regards to the top case...it does two things. First, it raises the center of gravity. This, in & of itself, isn't a real problem, as a second rider raises the center of gravity considerably more, plus a top case doesn't raise if by all that much. However...second, it moves the center of gravity rearward, and by a considerable amount, as the top case will be BEHIND the rear wheel. This could be dangerous, especially if the top case is loaded with moderate-to-heavy weight. 
Now, that being said, I currently have the V35 side cases, with the Admore Lightning Dual-LED kit installed (red running/brake, amber turn signal). I'd say that the LED kit was VERY much worth it. Even with everything I said in the first paragraph, I'm still considering a top case...although I do NOT have any plans to load it with lot of stuff. It's purpose would be to carry light items (windbreaker, sweatshirt, & lighter items while riding...and helmets when we're off the bike). I have no intention of installing lightning in the top case, as the LEDs in the side cases are more than enough. Besides, while I/we might ride with the side cases & without the top case, I'd/we'd never be riding with the top case & without the side cases (ie. for shorter trips, each V35 side case can hold a helmet). This would keep the center of gravity lower, and the (loaded) bike safer to ride. That's my "2 cents worth", and I'm sticking with it.

Although I agree that you should be mindful of how much weight you are putting in the cases and how it will affect how the bike handles, plenty of people have safely ridden the FJ with all 3 cases loaded. Adding a passenger has more of an effect than the top and side cases in my opinion.

Hell my SHAD cases say not to exceed 75mph (120kmh) with side cases installed.... but what fun is that lol

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

I have the Yamaha 50L top case, and just put the sh36 3p mounting system on today. Those 2 dont play nice with each other.... Ive got it to work, but it wasn't simple, and I had to use mixed hardware between Yamaha and SHAD, and also make my own mounting instructions to make them play nicely. im going to like the configuration, but Yamaha bags are small, so I would personally go with all Shad top and side. I just got an excellent deal on both, so thats why im going this route. I payed $280 for the Shad sh36 cases, with keys (store demo model so they are still new), and like $220 for the 50L top box(new) and $120 for the mounting bracket, it was a clearance item I found.

Please correct me if I am wrong ... but isn't it only the USA version that gives the "no top box with side bags" disclaimer. I couldn't find that same disclaimer on the European version website. IF so ... that makes it sound like "Lawyer Speak" to me.

Archived