To the Arctic Ocean and back!

Dark&Stormy

I'm interested in knowing more about your camera gear, please, D&S.
I have a Ricoh WG-4 Adventure-Proof camera on a lanyard that i can pull out of my pocket and shoot on the go. In my tankbag i carry a Nikon P900 for extreme zoom/wildlife shots.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Wow, D&S..... That was an incredible ride, thanks for the photos and report.
I've been wanting to go to Tuktoyaktuk ever since Harper announced the new road project, and planned to go last year as it was supposed to be open August 15 but it was delayed to November 15 and I waited until this June. I left Ontario June 10 and arrived in Tuk June 17, 7028 kms, helluva ride!
I rode my Super Tenere, but just got a new Tracer GT two days ago..
 I used Mitas E07 tires, the rear lasted 30k and the front is still looking good at 40k kms. I had no problems with the bike or tires.image.jpg

2019 Tracer GT,  Ontario, Canada

Wow, D&S..... That was an incredible ride, thanks for the photos and report. I've been wanting to go to Tuktoyaktuk ever since Harper announced the new road project, and planned to go last year as it was supposed to be open August 15 but it was delayed to November 15 and I waited until this June. I left Ontario June 10 and arrived in Tuk June 17, 7028 kms, helluva ride!
I rode my Super Tenere, but just got a new Tracer GT two days ago..
 I used Mitas E07 tires, the rear lasted 30k and the front is still looking good at 40k kms. I had no problems with the bike or tires.
image.jpg

Wow you definitely put in some long days in the saddle and im sure the Super10 is the perfect tool for the job. Every Super10 rider i spoke to had nothing but praise for their motorcycle.

Ya, two buddies were to join me but one cancelled 3 weeks and one 3 days before departure so I said 'screw it, I'm going' . I did some 1400 km days across Ontario and the prairies but I was gaining an hour each day, and of course going north I gained lots of daylight hours. Never rode in darkness.
After reaching Tuk I relaxed a few days in Dawson at the D to D rally then rode the Top of the World to Chicken and Tok. Eastbound I visited Skagway and Hyder and then wandered back roads to home. Visited my wife for a few days, changed bikes and headed to the Maritimes. So I rode to the Arctic Ocean on June 17, saw the Pacific Ocean a week later, home for Canada day then the Atlantic coast on July 17. All 3 of Canada's oceans in 30 days!
And yes, the Super Tenere is a great bike.

2019 Tracer GT,  Ontario, Canada

Breathtaking pictures D&S! Each one had me almost believing I am immersed into that landscape and can hear the wind and smell the land...
You got a canny eye for the wildlife pics.

Thanks a bunch for cataloging the equipment and trip logs so well. Gives somebody like me who is hesitant to venture on two wheels into the middle of nowhere a lot more data points to understand prep and necessary equipment. Sincerely hope you do more EPIC adventures and regale us here about it!! :)

Breathtaking pictures D&S! Each one had me almost believing I am immersed into that landscape and can hear the wind and smell the land... You got a canny eye for the wildlife pics.

Thanks a bunch for cataloging the equipment and trip logs so well. Gives somebody like me who is hesitant to venture on two wheels into the middle of nowhere a lot more data points to understand prep and necessary equipment. Sincerely hope you do more EPIC adventures and regale us here about it!! :)

Thanks, Im glad you've enjoyed it. Ive wanted to ride the Dempster since i first read about it in a magazine some 15yrs ago. Even more so when the final leg to the ocean was to be completed. I dont get alot of time to ride each year so i always plan to do atleast one trip per year.

Archived