engine vibration

bikelee

• Supporting Member
20 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Don't you have the slip Assist clutch from the XSR?

I've got almost 50000 and probably 25 or 30000 is on the XSR clutch and haven't really noticed any vibration before or after and early on I put BBs in the handlebar and went to the rubber covered footpegs.

Yes, I have the XSR slip/assist clutch.  The clutch actuation and lever feel seem absolutely flawless, never had a stutter or slippage. 

I have also put BB's in the handlebars and use weighted bar ends and have rubber topped foot pegs but at times the buzzing almost puts my right foot and hand to sleep and the right side mirror is next to useless. 

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
45 minutes ago, betoney said:

Yes, I have the XSR slip/assist clutch.  The clutch actuation and lever feel seem absolutely flawless, never had a stutter or slippage. 

I have also put BB's in the handlebars and use weighted bar ends and have rubber topped foot pegs but at times the buzzing almost puts my right foot and hand to sleep and the right side mirror is next to useless. 

TOTALLY WEIRD, SAME YEAR, SAME MODS, EXCEPT YOU DON'T HAVE THE GIVI CASE GUARDS (OR DO YOU?), SIMILAR MILES (I HAVE THE KTM HAND GUARDS AND REMOTE FT BRK MC & RESERVOIR ON RENTHAL STREET NAKED BARS [NO HEAVY BAR END WEIGHTS THOUGH, NYLON SLIDER INSTEAD] + REVISED THE SCREEN ADJUSTER WITH Z-BRACES, LOWER SCREEN STAY THRU CROSS ROD, EPOXIED UPPER BOSSES & BIKE QD AXLE SCREEN UPPER CLAMP), VCYCLENUT FLASH AND IT'S SMOOTH AS RIPPING VELVET???  AND MY RIGHT MIRROR IS CLEAR WITH MY LEFT BUZZY??  I EVEN CHANGED THE RUBBER TOPPED PEGS TO SOLID WIDER ADJUSTABLE POSITION ADV TYPE PEGS AND GET NO FOOT VIBES WHATSOEVER!

MAYBE TRY LOOSENING & RETENSIONING THE ENGINE MOUNT BOLTS WITH A JACK UNDER THE ENGINE TO RELEIVE VERTICAL LOAD?  SAME FOR )RECALLED) BAR RISER BOTTOM NUTS AND BAR CLAMP BOLTS?  CHECK TB SYNC?  MANUAL CCT ADJUSTMENT?  WHEEL BALANCE, STEERING HEAD TENSION.  SPITBALLING ANSWERS...

• Thumbsup 1

Trying to address this as a problem that can be easily fixed or easily identified is problematic.

No 2 motors are the same, no matter the make or type. This is the downside to mass production.

Manufacturing processes have tolerances that are + or - by so much, if all the bits end up on the wrong side of everything matching, you end up with a lose engine, if everything ends up on the good side you end up with a tight engine. Castings and parts can vary in weight or even roundness. The only way to get a perfect motor is to blue print and balance, a very expensive option.

My gut feeling on my 15 model is that the drive train is the main culprit, it seems particularly lose on the Tracers.

I have a very annoying and loud whine in third and fifth gear, some people don't.

And by the way, chains don't go off by sitting in a showroom for years, never heard a more ridiculous assumption, it's a metal chain FFS.

I did have a slight idle and low revs vibration and uneven firing that was addressed with a TB sync, and I do run the chain a lot loser than the manual states, as on the 15 model they ask for stupid tight (don't think this is a problem on the GT).

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
40 minutes ago, OZVFR said:

No 2 motors are the same, no matter the make or type. This is the downside to mass production.

Agreed.  I had posted a few weeks ago that I recently rode my buddy's FJ (also a 2015) with the same 2WDW flash and they felt like completely different bikes.  They revved differently, different engine braking, different on/off fueling smoothness etc.  Same with @2and3cylinders - same 2105 model, yet apparently feel very differently.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

On 7/30/2021 at 10:10 PM, Yamajank said:

Those of us who are having vibration, has anyone gotten a new chain and noticed improvement?  I’ve taken really good care of mine, but since it was a hold over, I’m wondering if that was one of those things that got affected while sitting.

When I installed the (undamped) sprocket, I also put on a brand new EK chain, so... yeah.  

I also removed the handguards, though.  Perhaps that contributed to more high frequency vibrations as well (less weight on the bars, if marginally so). 

• Premium Member

It wouldn't hurt to try re-tensioning the engine mount bolts, again using a jack under the engine. Maybe playing with chain slack and try removing the under belly fairing. Presumably you've got the TB sync and valve lash spot on. My reinforcement and modifications to the crappy OEM shield adjustment mechanism really stiffened up the front end feel.  Keep making changes incrementally and testing the results. Maybe the KTM or Barkbuster hand guard type clamps help dampen vibration.  I have the bike master mirror extenders that also change the equation as well. I had on Grip Puppies but the slightly larger diameter aggravated my clutch hand issues and didn't seem to quell vibes much more for me anyway.