engine vibration

bikelee

Like koth442 I have owned and driven lots of big V2 bikes, and also inline 4, and never had any trouble with vibration/buzzing.

Before the Tracer goo GT I had the XSR 900 and that bike vibrated in such a way that my hands (most the right hand) fell asleep after driving for 30-45 minutes.
The vibration starts at around 4500-5000 rpm. Meaning highway/autobahn was the worst! I never had problems on other places, it was only autobahn that made my hands numb!
On the XSR 900 it was so bad that the mirrors became useless - couldn't see if the lights in the mirror was 1 or 8 cars! Looked like the mirrors were mounted on an electric sander...

The Trader goo GT is not so bad. It has cruise control and that lets me hold very light on the handle bar. Haven't had sleeping/numb hands on this bike yet, and I have just come back from a 4500km trip with 2000 of those km being on the autobahn. No problems with the vibrations.. But they can be felt in the foot pegs (I have FJR1300 rubberized footpegs) and handlebar. The mirrors are useful, but the right mirror is still a bit shakey. But both can be used!

BBB,

Very interested in your post in the Tracer 900GT sub forum regarding fitting Yamaha sport foot pegs to the 900GT.  Questions.  From the OEM parts schematic, it looks like the Yamaha foot peg either on the Sport or Super 10 is a different configuration so that is why I am asking.  I would like to be prepared to do something similar to what you did but I need some guidance as to what Yamaha sport pegs you refer and whether there was a direct bolt on or you had to make some modifications.  Thanks in advance.  AZOKIE

• Premium Member
My 900 GT has a small amount of buzzing vibration.  It is not a deal breaker, I rode it before I bought it, noticed it, decided it was OK, and went ahead with the purchase.  No regrets.

Like others here, I have had many other bikes with various amounts of vibrations.  Surprisingly, the worst vibrating ones were:  Harley Sporster, Yamaha SR500 single, Honda CB 500 four.  The smoothest I ever had was a BMW K1200 RS with a rubber mounted 4 cylinder.  Everything else in between vibrated to some amount that was ok.

I had an FJR ten years ago that buzzed annoyingly at 5000 rpm when new but smoothed out after 10,000 miles.  I hope this 900 GT also gets better with age.

2019 Tracer 900 GT

Niwot CO
USA

My 900 GT has a small amount of buzzing vibration.  It is not a deal breaker, I rode it before I bought it, noticed it, decided it was OK, and went ahead with the purchase.  No regrets. 
Like others here, I have had many other bikes with various amounts of vibrations.  Surprisingly, the worst vibrating ones were:  Harley Sporster, Yamaha SR500 single, Honda CB 500 four.  The smoothest I ever had was a BMW K1200 RS with a rubber mounted 4 cylinder.  Everything else in between vibrated to some amount that was ok.

I had an FJR ten years ago that buzzed annoyingly at 5000 rpm when new but smoothed out after 10,000 miles.  I hope this 900 GT also gets better with age.
I had an XSR 900 before, sharing the same CP3 engine. It smoothed out a bit after 8000km. I hope the GT does the same :)

My wife has issues with her hands,( low blood flow) which is brought on at times by vibration or sometimes cold that will make her hands go numb.  She has currently put 26,000 miles on her FJ-09 and I have never heard a complaint.  We just purchased her a new "Tracer"  ( Actually I don't understand people saying it's a "new" model.)  It's a re-name  that's all,  isn't it?  I mean other than a few upgrades this year it is the same motor/frame and has a  little change to the seat/body work. How' is that new model? . Ok rant over..  

She tested it out tonight and says she feels no difference, guess we'll see in a couple thousand miles.  1 thing I'd suggest.  When you receive your new bike. Go over it with a torque wrench.  Don't take for granted the assembly guy/girl did when putting it together from the crate. .Could be the main factor in feeling a buzz..........  

p.s.
Though the wheels have a nice matte blue finish, I personally can't stand the 80's look. ( wife likes em' though )  If you weren't alive or into moto in the 80's many bikes came with color matched wheels .   If the bike should  buzz a unusual amount and she is tempted to give it to me..;-)  the wheels will take a quick  trip to the powder coat guy....   lol   pic is of the fj-09 , still looking sharp as when it came home in 2015. 

HNB.jpg

• Supporting Member

My wife has issues with her hands,( low blood flow) which is brought on at times by vibration or sometimes cold that will make her hands go numb.  She has currently put 26,000 miles on her FJ-09 and I have never heard a complaint.  We just purchased her a new "Tracer"  ....    
pic is of the fj-09 , still looking sharp as when it came home in 2015. 

HNB.jpg

You are correct, the difference between the FJ and "new" base model Tracer is minimal, even costs the same.  The biggest change is the screen and seat as well as longer swingarm, although the #1 and #2 complaints of the "new and improved" Tracer models is the screen and seat, go figure.

Just curious, since your '15 seems to be in pristine condition, why the change to the '19?

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

BBB, 

Very interested in your post in the Tracer 900GT sub forum regarding fitting Yamaha sport foot pegs to the 900GT.  Questions.  From the OEM parts schematic, it looks like the Yamaha foot peg either on the Sport or Super 10 is a different configuration so that is why I am asking.  I would like to be prepared to do something similar to what you did but I need some guidance as to what Yamaha sport pegs you refer and whether there was a direct bolt on or you had to make some modifications.  Thanks in advance.  AZOKIE

@AZOKIE, I fitted the Yamaha Adventure pegs https://yamabits.co.uk/yamaha-mt-09-adventure-foot-pegs.html

These are a direct replacement, you just have to drill out one of the OEM pins that hold on the peg. You’ll see what I mean if you look at your bike. One side is a split pin and the other needs a tiny amount of work to remove. 

I prefer these pegs as they are more grippy and easier to use with winter boots on. They may also isolate a bit of vibration.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Just curious, since your '15 seems to be in pristine condition, why the change to the '19?

My wife has put 26000 on it, so for me it was either invest in a suspension upgrade (  at least re-fresh )  or in a new bike.   Who can refuse a new bike?  LOL.

just curious - replaced my footpegs with ebay rubber ones . had to cut off the rivet on left side, why would they install two different ways huh.png?
You are in the company of hundreds who have asked that very question, harraseeket.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

just curious - replaced my footpegs with ebay rubber ones . had to cut off the rivet on left side, why would they install two different ways huh.png?
You are in the company of hundreds who have asked that very question, harraseeket.
^this^

'15 FJ09

• 3 weeks later...

Also I'm reading that there is knocking in the front end when you hit a big bump or a pothole. What's that all about ? Any help on these topics would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Leon.

It's apparently until the Floating discs warm up. My Tracer GT does this. Dealer has told me it's normal and plenty of other owners have had the same experience

I'm over 1500km on my tracer now, and it's smoothed out some. I would say it was definitely more vibey below 500km than it is now. I may have become used to it, and it still buzzes a little around 5000rpm, but it's overall smoother now.

I read a similar thing, and thought it was BS, but it appears to be true.

The bike has a little bit of buzz to it in the higher RPM's but at cruising speeds it's as smooth as butter.

That said, I did install the Yamaha MT-09 Adventure Pegs and a pair of Grip Puppies on my GT. Just an extra bit of comfort, grip and vibration isolation.

My previous street bikes for the last 18 years has been either the Yamaha Vmax or Honda Magna with the V4 motor and boy howdy that is that one smooth engine.