FJ-09 Fast Starter Syndrome

Not sure if anyone else has experienced this, but it appears the FJ-09 can occasionally suffer from a no-start condition commonly referred to as "Fast Starter Syndrome" in the FJR community. 

When we got back from Alaska we pulled both bikes in the driveway, shut them off and opened up the champagne. Both bikes had been running for many hours every day for the past 16 days. 

The next morning, both bikes were started briefly to move them from the driveway into the garage and then shut off. It was 2 days until I rode my FJR again. Needed a short break from the saddle. When I did go to start it up and ride it to work it wouldn't start. When this happens to an FJR the starter often sounds like it is turning faster than normal. The running theory about this behavior on an FJR is that the bike becomes flooded from a quick start/shut off condition, and the fuel washes the oil off of the cylinder walls causing a loss of compression. The solution is to crank the bike with the throttle wide open, sometimes draining the battery and then having to recharge it and continue cranking. After 5 min of attempted starting and holding the throttle open between 75 and 100%, the FJR finally started. I headed off to work. 49,000 miles on the FJR.

A few days later went to start the FJ-09 and had the exact same problem. Fast cranking, no start. 5 minutes of attempted cranking with a few occasional back-fire noises, holding the throttle wide open the FJ-09 finally started. 19,000 miles on the FJ-09. 

Anyone else experienced this on a Tracer? In the FJR community this is something that may happen 2 or 3 times in 100,000 miles, and often after starting and shutting off while the engine is still cold.

Yes, it’s normal. I’m amused that someone has actually called this a “syndrome”! The problem is Rider/Operator education. (That comment wasn’t directed at you, but at forum communities en mass.)

Any bike/Atv/car/scooter/dirtbike, etc that is started, and then immediately shut off without a proper warmup or sufficient amount of run time, has a bunch of extra fuel left in the cylinders that isn’t totally burned off from the rich mixture the engine needs for proper warmup and starting.

You can ruin a set of spark plugs quickly this way also. In the case of many sport bikes out there, replacing spark plugs can be a 1-3 hour repair with complete fairing removal required. BTDT more times than I can count.

Moral of the story? Push the bike 20 feet into the garage or allow it to run for a minute or 2 before moving it and shutting it off again.

-Skip

?

Hope that saves you a set of plugs some day. The worst ones are CBR 1000’s and newer R1’s where you have to pull all the fairing, loosen the radiator, and sometimes also remove the air box, throttle body, and intake (ala CBR) just to get at the dang spark plugs. And then (in the case of Honda) those iridium plugs run 15-20 bucks apiece!

Some units just seem to be more susceptible to it than others.

-S

I’ve also seen this happen to a cbr600 that had been washed when stinking hot, it came in and I had to squirt oil down the plug holes to free/seal the rings up enough to have some compression. It had less than 50psi in all cylinders. After the oil and running it again it went over 220psi on all four. Very strange...

I’ve also seen this happen to a cbr600 that had been washed when stinking hot, it came in and I had to squirt oil down the plug holes to free/seal the rings up enough to have some compression. It had less than 50psi in all cylinders. After the oil and running it again it went over 220psi on all four. Very strange...

Yep. F4-I’s fouled spark plugs all the time too.

-S

A couple of things... I've only ever heard of this happening a couple times in 100,000 miles. Hope does this damage plugs? Worse in my opinion you get fuel in your oil.

It fouls them up with too much fuel that’s partially combusted. In my experience when plugs get carboned-up it’s not worth cleaning the plugs and reinstalling especially with the labor involved to get to them.

If they’re simply wet from fuel but otherwise brand new-out-of-the-box looking, they could get reused.

-S

A couple of things... I've only ever heard of this happening a couple times in 100,000 miles. Hope does this damage plugs? Worse in my opinion you get fuel in your oil.
It fouls them up with too much fuel that’s partially combusted. In my experience when plugs get carboned-up it’s not worth cleaning the plugs and reinstalling especially with the labor involved to get to them.  
If they’re simply wet from fuel but otherwise brand new-out-of-the-box looking, they could get reused.

-S
I had an shop owner who wanted us to try and clean plugs all the time, told him that is wasn't worth the labour cost. He'd go out and start the bikes each day, which also killed the batteries, but never got the plugs hot enough to burn off the excess fuel from the choke. CBR 250s and FZR 250s were so bad for this. Got real quick at changing them!

• Premium Member
The Mazda RX-7 was notorious for this as well. If you were going to move it, be ready to bring it up to operating temperature for a full fan cycle before shutting it back off. Otherwise, you'd have to pull the fuel pump fuse, pull the spark plugs and crank it over until the motor was clear of unburned fuel. You'd have to remove the spark plugs because there would be too much back pressure for it to even turn over.

Now it's in my garage with the engine in pieces as an untouched project for over a decade. Once I got back into riding, sports cars just don't have the appeal anymore. I should just make room for more motorcycles....

The Mazda RX-7 was notorious for this as well. If you were going to move it, be ready to bring it up to operating temperature for a full fan cycle before shutting it back off. Otherwise, you'd have to pull the fuel pump fuse, pull the spark plugs and crank it over until the motor was clear of unburned fuel. You'd have to remove the spark plugs because there would be too much back pressure for it to even turn over. 
Now it's in my garage with the engine in pieces as an untouched project for over a decade. Once I got back into riding, sports cars just don't have the appeal anymore. I should just make room for more motorcycles....
If its the FD, you could probably get a good chunk of change out of it as is. 

'15 FJ09

• Premium Member
Oh, I wish it was the FD. The design on those still looks fresh and new when I see them on the streets. It's at the top of my list of dream cars.

I have the 1987 Turbo II model, which is the FC. For those who don't know what it looks like, picture the mid to late 80's Porsche 944. It's basically a design clone.

Archived