Auxiliary Fuel Tank

In my opinion, one of the downsides of the FJ09 for touring is not enough fuel range. On our Alaska trip we stopped every 180-200 miles for fuel. Comparatively, the a FJR will do 250 easily, often more.

I started thinking that I might try this winter to fabricate an auxiliary fuel tank for the FJ09 that would replace the passenger seat.

Have any others put auxiliary tanks on a tracer?

I have two tool tubes mounted on the bike, stuffed with tool pouches, but also have two 1L fuel bottles I can stuff in there... displacing the tools to somewhere else of course. Buys about 40km of extra range.
That's not bad in the event you run out of gas and get stranded, but my intent would be to bump up the range to over 300 without having to stop.

I have the Givi 2.5liter gas cans on my bike for trips. Just over a gallon extra. They attach to the outback trekker side cases. I’ve only needed to use it a couple times. I was going to try a fab something up to be able to carry the rotopax 2gallon set up but really didn’t want to drill into my side cases and couldn’t think of anything else to attach to the top rack adapter and still have a top case.

• Supporting Member
Aug 16, 2018 20:33:52 GMT -7 [span][span]nsmiller[/span][/span] said:my intent would be to bump up the range to over 300 without having to stop.

Good luck to ya' if you can do that regularly.  Personally, I need to stop and walk around a bit after 1.5 hours or so, even if for a few minutes before getting back on the road.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

<abbr title="Aug 16, 2018 20:33:52 GMT -7" class="o-timestamp time" data-timestamp="1534476832000">Aug 16, 2018 20:33:52 GMT -7</abbr> [span][a title=@nsmiller" href="/user/3102][span]nsmiller[/span][/a][/span] said:my intent would be to bump up the range to over 300 without having to stop.

Good luck to ya' if you can do that regularly.  Personally, I need to stop and walk around a bit after 1.5 hours or so, even if for a few minutes before getting back on the road.

Yeah, the 150 to 180 mile stop on a fillup is good for me, that's a good 2.5 hours in the saddle. But heck I'm almost 60 and I need to move around or I get stiff, my knees especially. My ZX11 had a 6.5-gallon tank and got 44.5 miles to a gallon cruising at 80 on the freeway.  About 180 is as far as I'd go without a stretch. I do like the leg room on this bike, I'm 6'2" and only a 32 inseam. All torso. The other thing is I ride with a lot of Yamaha Gen 1 and Gen 2 VMaxes. They are skittish at 100 miles and most don't go more than 110 miles. anyway.....just my .02 cents.

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

Swap in a quick fill dry lock gas cap, then wear a paintaller ammo belt with many .25 liter bottles...just grab one and fill up on the go...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Premium Member
If you haven't done so already, check on some of the Iron Butt Association's sites. https://www.ironbutt.org/ Lots of IBR riders run aux tanks. Not sure if there is a commercial source for them. Most common seems to be a basic "box" shape, with a fill neck, transfer hose and vent hose. Others are like a small keg or barrel. Depending upon mount height, etc will determine if you need some type of valve to control the flow.

One IBR rider developed a tail tank for the ST1100 that had it's top at the same level as the fill on the regular tank, and a fairly large diameter transfer hose between them which allowed him to fill both from the standard opening. No valve to mess with.

Here is a site that sells some add-on tanks:  https://www.spunaluminumgastanks.com/

If you are handy in the shop, you should be able to fabricate something.

• Premium Member
I haven't added aux fuel to my FJ, but I've definitely thought about it. I have a 3 gallon Summit Racing fuel cell that I used to have on my Triumph TT600, and I've been toying with adapting it to the FJ.

Have you explored how you'd plumb the aux fuel into the system? The traditional method is to drill a hole in the main tank and install a bulkhead fitting. That's what I did on my TT600. But I wonder if there's a simpler option on the FJ.

Is there an advantage to fixing something permanent on to the FJ rather than just bringing extra fuel in a removable container? Seems to be a good way to rob the bike of space for other cargo, on those trips where extra range isn't necessary. Maybe something removable, but fitted with a quick disconnect? How much extra fuel capacity would be worth the effort in doing something permanent?
A design goal of mine would be that the aux tank would be removable with some sort of fuel disconnect. It may take 10 minutes and a couple tools, but that is okay. My goal would be to carry an extra 2.5 to 3 gallons. 
Edit: I don't see an advantage of carrying extra fuel other than in case you run out. An auxiliary tank allows you to keep riding without stopping. Can make a big difference in how long it takes to get somewhere when touring.

if you can tig weld you could weld in #6 30°(?) AN fitting in the flat area in the rear corners of the gas tank behind that plastic piece area... then run run #6 AN flex hose to a fabbed gas tank to mount to the rear pillon...run the flex hose to gravity is feeding the main tank...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Archived