Auxiliary DC Connector?

vtwin996

2019 Tracer GT. on pg 4-42 of the manual it references an Auxiliary DC Connector. This is different from the DC Jack which is described on pg 4-41 and is limited to 2A.

It says 'This vehicle is equipped with an auxiliary DC connector. Consult your Yamaha dealer before installing any accessories'.

Does anyone know where this is and any more about it. I'd like to know why this would be any better than  a fused pigtail connected directly to the battery,
  • Thumbsup 1

• 2 weeks later...
2019 Tracer GT. on pg 4-42 of the manual it references an Auxiliary DC Connector. This is different from the DC Jack which is described on pg 4-41 and is limited to 2A. 
It says 'This vehicle is equipped with an auxiliary DC connector. Consult your Yamaha dealer before installing any accessories'.

Does anyone know where this is and any more about it. I'd like to know why this would be any better than  a fused pigtail connected directly to the battery,
If I remember correctly...and if it is the same connector as found on pre-2019 Tracers/FJ-09s...this is to add a second 12V "cigarette" accessory power plug (installed to the right of the display), identical to the factory-installed 12V accessory plug to the left of the display. The "sad" thing about both of these is that (as mentioned by others, in various threads) it is only 2A, as opposed to 3-5A. 
While a 2A plug is (barely) adequate for something like a GPS, it's not enough for most other plug-in accessories, such as a dual-USB adapter (most dual-USB adapters have either one 1A & one 2.1A, or two 2.1A). I wonder (meaning, I haven't checked on my '17 FJ) if it's possible to replace the fuse for this line only (ie. leave the left side 2A) with a slightly higher (again, 3-5A) fuse, which would make it perfect for installing a dual-USB port into that second location. Personally, I've already installed a dual-USB port, but, instead of attempting what I just described (which might have been easier than what I did), I ran the wiring through the frame, above the engine, with the + connected to my Rowe AmpLink, and the - connected to my ground terminal block.

On a separate note, for those not familiar with the Rowe AmpLink, it's a Bluetooth version of their PDM60. For those not familiar with either of these, it's, essentially, a circuit breaker for motorcycles, with 6 circuits, providing a total combined output of 60A (no one circuit can be more than 20A). With the PDM60, or AmpLink, you no longer need fuses for your connected accessories...and, if any such accessories also use relays, you no longer need those. While it is a considerably more expensive way to go ($200 for the PDM60, $250 for the AmpLink), as fuses are relatively cheap, it cleans up the "spiderweb" of wires that would normally be connected to your battery...and also saves your shop mechanic from scratching his/her head for an hour trying to figure out what all your wires are.
  • Thanks 1

The 2A Aux circuit is 12V/2A which is 24W. When it gets to the USB port, it is converted as USB supplies only 5V DC. So the 5V/4.2A outlet also only draws 21W. So in theory, the wiring should be up to the task. People are just forgetting about the voltage conversion from 12V/5V it seems. It should be up to the task even with a twin 2.1A outlet.

Of course I'm not an electrician and don't provide warranty. :)
  • Thumbsup 4

KC, I tried to look in the area behind the screen / under the instruments but that area is pretty well enclosed and without pulling stuff apart, I really couldn't see under there. Meanwhile I solved the problem by getting an RKA electric tankbag. I used a FuzeBlock inside the tankbag to distribute the power to my Zumo, Radar detector and Iphone. I power the tankbag off a single SAE power cord that runs under the seat.

Thanks everyone. My original question was asking where the auxiliary DC connector is that is referenced in the owners manual. So the connectors are behind / under the windshield mounting plate on the Tracer GT. Meanwhile I decided to use an SAE power cord off the battery through a Fuze Block in an RKA In-Charge tank bag.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member
The more details I see of the new GT, the more I realize just how many little things were changed & improved from the first-gen FJ.

I am noticing the exact same thing.  A lot of little details have been improved or refined.

I believe when the FZ was a hit upon release, Yamaha rushed to get a sport-touring version to market and quickly realized the little details that needed to be ironed out. 

I looked over the new Tracer GT for quite awhile at the dealer and was very impressed with all of the small details that were addressed.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***