Auxiliary DC Connector?

vtwin996

On 12/3/2018 at 1:32 PM, vtwin996 said:

I just went through this on my 900GT to install a tire pressure monitor. I took the easy way out and just cut off the white connector behind the dash and connected the new wire with bullet connectors. The only problem is that you don't have much wire to work with. If I wanted to connect something else later there's almost wire left to work with.

Hi what tire pressure monitor did you add? Are you happy with it? Iam looking to add one myself 

regards graham

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/16/2018 at 5:38 PM, cozza said:

Right here we go.

I had a bit of time today so I thought I'd get to the bottom of the AUX Connector conundrum.

The procedure is as follows, firstly remove the screen.  

Once the sren is held on with four nylon screws be careful when removing these as you could easily damage the head.

When you have the screen out of the way you have to remove the screen height mechanism to remove.

20180916_142251.jpg

The mechanism is removed by releasing three 5mm socket head screws, one is accessible when the mechanism is in the low position the other two are accessed in the upper position.

Once the mechanism is out of the way you have to remove the plastic cover.

20180916_142129.jpg

This plastic is removed by releasing a number of plastic rivets, these are removed by pressing the centre of the rivet with a small pointy thing. See the pictures for details of their locations.

20180916_141948.jpg

20180916_142008.jpg

20180916_142016.jpg

20180916_142041.jpg

THe rivets are mirrored on each side.

Once all of the rivets have been removed the plastic cover can be wiggled out and then you have this.

20180916_141814.jpg

There are 4 cap head bolts that hold this in place, remove this to give access to the wiring behind.

20180916_141522.jpg

The black boot appears to have the connector were looking for as you can see below.

20180916_141516.jpg

I'm going to order a connector to plug into this as there is just a blank plug at the moment.

Reassembly, just read from this end back, this is a really easy procedure but I thought I'd share it.

Really enjoying the GT  ;)

hi will this connection be ok for led spot lights

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, av one said:

hi will this connection be ok for led spot lights

Have particular lamps in mind? Post specs or a link so that we have an idea of the electrical load involved. These circuits are budgeted for 2A on the FJ... but I can't speak for the GT.

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Supporting Member
57 minutes ago, flyfifer said:

LED lights draw low current, the 2amp fused supply should be fine ----the spec for any lights should however tell you what the load is. Don't be surprised if it is milliamps.

My two "10W" eBay spot lamps draw (measured) ~1,500 milliamps 😁. These are relatively tame compared with some other options out there.

• Thumbsup 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

On 10/15/2019 at 5:23 PM, piotrek said:

Have particular lamps in mind? Post specs or a link so that we have an idea of the electrical load involved. These circuits are budgeted for 2A on the FJ... but I can't speak for the GT.

hi they are creed led voltage 12-80vdc brightness 900lm power 5 w 

So, the 2amp supply is ok.

If you want to be "happy" about connecting the lights to the Aux supply ---- buy a cheap in line fuse holder and put a 1amp fuse in it.

You could test it simply by touching "the lights" to the battery terminals ------ via the 1amp in line fuse, before you open up the front of the bike.

You can then be assured you are not going to pop the aux supply fuse and be confident about taking the time to open up the front.

• Thumbsup 1

I trawled through most of this thread but apologies if I missed the answer to my question, but just to confirm...

Is the accessory socket identical to a regular car cigarette lighter socket? Is it safe to use most standard car accessories?

4 hours ago, v1nn1e said:

I trawled through most of this thread but apologies if I missed the answer to my question, but just to confirm...

Is the accessory socket identical to a regular car cigarette lighter socket? Is it safe to use most standard car accessories?

Yes. 

-Skip

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, v1nn1e said:

I used to use it to power my GPS but found that it didn't hold the 12v power supply very well, it always loosened up and constantly lost power.  My buddy has a '15 FJ also and his does the same thing with his GPS.  Even after having the socket replaced under warranty, it never worked well for me.

I stopped using it and hardwired my GPS to the auxiliary power leads behind the screen.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I power my Garmin GPS through the DC connector behind the screen. Switched live, so ignition goes off, power goes off.

Followed the advice and pictures above, and it all went nice and easy. Still have the inline fuse on Garmin lead, so hopefully that would go first if it needed to.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...