Auxiliary DC Connector?

vtwin996

Hi everyone,

Has anyone tried attaching a switch with the auxiliary DC connector behind the screen, for example, to run with spotlights? Is it actually possible?

Reason being that I am not too keen to attach a separate wire harness connecting directly to the battery since there are already connections available. Many thanks.

• Supporting Member

@Fortitudinous - The connectors behind the windscreen are already switched, and power on with the ignition key.   They are fused for fairly low amperage, however, so you might have an issue running a big spotlight from those.   

Are you looking for a power point that you can turn on & off independent from the ignition switch? 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
8 hours ago, Fortitudinous said:

Hi everyone,

Has anyone tried attaching a switch with the auxiliary DC connector behind the screen, for example, to run with spotlights? Is it actually possible?

Reason being that I am not too keen to attach a separate wire harness connecting directly to the battery since there are already connections available. Many thanks.

While the connectors behind the screen are rated 2 amps the one under the seat for the heated seat is good for 7.5amps. Check it out if you don't have the heated seat.

http://Tracer Heated Seat Install pdf

• Thumbsup 2

On 7/3/2021 at 2:26 PM, texscottyd said:

@Fortitudinous - The connectors behind the windscreen are already switched, and power on with the ignition key.   They are fused for fairly low amperage, however, so you might have an issue running a big spotlight from those.   

Are you looking for a power point that you can turn on & off independent from the ignition switch? 

Yes, exactly that - I am planning to install a 20W flood light with an 'on & off' independent switch, and if possible, connect to the high beam so it automatically switches on when on high beam. I was thinking I can piggyback on the connectors behind the windscreen.

On 7/3/2021 at 6:36 PM, Heli ATP said:

While the connectors behind the screen are rated 2 amps the one under the seat for the heated seat is good for 7.5amps. Check it out if you don't have the heated seat.

http://Tracer Heated Seat Install pdf

Thanks for this. I am planning to install a 40W LED light bar with an independent on-off switch and thinking of using the 2A-rated one. Is that sufficient, or should I use the 7.5A one?

3 hours ago, Fortitudinous said:

Thanks for this. I am planning to install a 40W LED light bar with an independent on-off switch and thinking of using the 2A-rated one. Is that sufficient, or should I use the 7.5A one?

A 40W LED will pull just over 3 amps, so will blow the 2A fuse. You could use the switched 2A circuit as a trigger on a relay, that is connected via a fuse directly to the battery. If the 7.5A is also switched then that sounds a simpler option.

• Thumbsup 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• 1 year later...
On 9/17/2018 at 12:38 AM, cozza said:

Right here we go.

I had a bit of time today so I thought I'd get to the bottom of the AUX Connector conundrum.

The procedure is as follows, firstly remove the screen.  

Once the sren is held on with four nylon screws be careful when removing these as you could easily damage the head.

When you have the screen out of the way you have to remove the screen height mechanism to remove.

20180916_142251.jpg

The mechanism is removed by releasing three 5mm socket head screws, one is accessible when the mechanism is in the low position the other two are accessed in the upper position.

Once the mechanism is out of the way you have to remove the plastic cover.

20180916_142129.jpg

This plastic is removed by releasing a number of plastic rivets, these are removed by pressing the centre of the rivet with a small pointy thing. See the pictures for details of their locations.

20180916_141948.jpg

20180916_142008.jpg

20180916_142016.jpg

20180916_142041.jpg

THe rivets are mirrored on each side.

Once all of the rivets have been removed the plastic cover can be wiggled out and then you have this.

20180916_141814.jpg

There are 4 cap head bolts that hold this in place, remove this to give access to the wiring behind.

20180916_141522.jpg

The black boot appears to have the connector were looking for as you can see below.

20180916_141516.jpg

I'm going to order a connector to plug into this as there is just a blank plug at the moment.

Reassembly, just read from this end back, this is a really easy procedure but I thought I'd share it.

Really enjoying the GT  ;)

Hi Cozza, have all the bits and pieces and am currently in the process of connecting the Garmin but I have one final question please. Is there an easy path to route the wire from the connector (once connected) through the back somewhere to the GPS, whether that's installed on the handlebars or higher up above the instruments? Thanks.