Replacing Chain

josh

What brand are you using for replacement chain? OE or aftermarket brand? I have only 30 000Km and I'm on my second chain and about to get my third. I lube my chain with o ring safe lube the appropriate amount, but I still get tight spots and my o-ring rubber is coming out of the chain. (on both chains) My sprockets do not show any sign if uneven ware or much ware at all  for that matter. I don't tighten the chain to manufacture specs, I do ride in rain often and I do ride it hard all the time. Thank you

• Supporting Member
I changed my oem chain at 18k and it was well worn, I was adjusting it frequently, I should have swapped it out at least 1,000-1,500 miles earlier. 

I replaced it with a DID 525VX chain and Superlite RS7 Sprockets from Sprocket Center

Sprocket.jpg

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Edit: 10/1/2018..... I have never been good at getting high miles out of a chain. Orig. OEM DID went 14,500; Second was a EK liter bike size that went 17,550 on orig. sprockets; third was a EK 1300cc size that went 17,620 on new sprockets. All those chain were adjustment problems for 2K+. Each chain was lubed with a different mfr. product. The first was the most expensive stuff on the dealer's shelf, Dumonde Tech . The second was "Chain Wax" which had the chain in kinks at 15,000 while on a trip. I got it loosened up with Liquid Wrench chain lube and therefore used that on my third chain. I didn't get the mileage out of that high cost extra strong chain as I'd hoped for and it was installed on new JT sprockets. My current chain is the big surprise, as it is OEM on new OEM sprockets and I am using Dupont Chain Wax and it is currently at 21,058 miles and it is starting to show stretching that the others showed at 15-16K. I have only adjusted it once with a tire change. My mechanic may have adjusted it with the swing arm lube. I ordered another EK chain (EK 525 SRX2 Series Chain-Gold) and use the OEM sprockets that are on the bike as they still look good and are in spec.  Note:  This chain came with the connecting link that uses the twist off nuts to expand and fix the side plates.  My favorite system as it takes less time to install the chain. 

But here is the deal: I have improved my method of taking care of the chain.
1. I never just add lube to the chain.
2. I always spray a little WD-40 on a white terrycloth rag and wipe the chain down/clean it up.
3. I now spray the Dupont Chain Wax on each side of the chain where the O rings are, and once around the inside area that touches the sprockets.
4. I do this first thing when I come to a stop at the end of a 250-500 mile ride.
5. I always take a terry cloth rag and wipe the chain down after lubing it.

Note: My chains never look as good as betoney's.  Next time I'll stick with the used OEM sprockets and new EK Gold chain. I will also change the chain soon as I don't like having to adjust and watch it closely all the timeI'm going to keep it on for a few months and see if it becomes a problem.  I'm not going to adjust it just yet as it appears to have just started to stretch, but is still less than 1 1/2".

If you add the miles up from the chain use it is 70,728 and my last fill up was 70,728.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Archived