My impressions at 1,500 miles of use

My only complaint on the GT is the forward slant of the seat. Seems better in the high position but still not ideal.

I tried playing with the seat to level it out. The Super Tenere suffers from this same issue. A common fix for it is to install shorter rubber bumpers in the rear of the seat (see video below). I ordered two of short rubber bumpers (Yamaha part # 22W-24741-00-00) but it was a fail for the GT. This would work if you could somehow shorten the seat latch which I didn't see any easy way to do, short of fabricating your own latch.

I think the seat would be really comfortable if it weren't for the annoying forward slant.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's really my biggest complaint. I've learned to work around it but sometimes when it's hot out I have to move around the seat a little. As soon as I move out of my initially mounted "perfect spot" I'm about screwed the rest of the ride. I've been told I shouldn't get my pants in a wad about it but so far that doesn't seem to be anything I can control.    (rofl) (rofl) (rofl) (rofl)

Great idea with the shorter rubber mounts if you find a way to make this work that would be awesome. Additionally I'd think you could raise the front while keeping the rear the same and still use the stock latch. Would that work other than making the seating position higher? We really need a company to come out and offer a more ergonomically designed seat. I contacted Sargent the other day but they said no plans were in the works which they could communicate as it relates to the Tracer, whatever that means.....
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT

• Premium Member
Like road warrior, I tried to see if I could level the seat by adjusting the rubber feet - couldn't do it because of the latch, as he mentioned.

BTW - let me emphasize that the miles traveled was a comparison of Trip 1 vs the GPS.  Not the odometer.  My next step is to compare to the odometer - the implication here is that the odometer must be accurate so the vehicle miles is accurate.  My expectation is that the odometer is accurate and Trip 1 is not.

2019 Tracer 900 GT

Niwot CO
USA

• Premium Member
In my opinion, the Tracer OEM seat is a showroom floor seat.  A prospective buyer sits on the bike and can reach the floor on this very tall bike, because the seat is lower and narrower near the tank.

I test rode my Tracer before signing on the dotted line and concluded the seat would not work for me so I ordered the Yamaha Comfort seat the day I bought the bike.  It took about a week for the Comfort seat to arrive.  During that week I confirmed that the OEM seat would not work for me.  Now I have about 1000 miles on the Comfort seat and find it, also, won't work for me.  Why?  Because Yamaha continued to use the forward tilt on this one also.  What a disappointment.

Now I am in search of a 3rd seat for my Tracer.

2019 Tracer 900 GT

Niwot CO
USA

I was wondering if you have experienced any issue with the dreaded "high speed wobble"?  My bike, a 2015, has developed it (it didn't happen originally) and now keeps me from the fun bursts of speed.  Hopefully the longer swingarm and new aerodynamics has cured that.
Brad
Selbyville, DE

Try the excellent BAGSTER products - not cheap, but give a magic carpet ride (I've had two).

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member

Instead of buying another generic off-the-shelf seat have you considered a custom seat? 

I didn't like the seat on my FJ either and ordered the Seat Concepts cover and foam and then later ordered the Seat Concepts Sport-Touring foam, neither of them worked well for me so I finally had a custom seat built and couldn't be happier. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

...Additionally I'd think you could raise the front while keeping the rear the same and still use the stock latch. Would that work other than making the seating position higher?...
Yea I tried this. 
I left the plastic tray in the low position.  I then created two wood blocks to sit on the plastic tray that would match the front height of the tray in the high position.  So now the the seat is basically resting in the high position in front and the low position in the rear.  The problem here is that when the seat is in the high position using the plastic tray, it is moved forward as well.  But with the seat latching in the low position, it's still seating rear ward.  It works but there is about a inch gap between the seat and the tank.  Plus the front plastic dongle is not firmly inserted into the metal housing.

It doesn't work.

I spent about a six pack trying different possibilities. 

I didn't like the seat on my FJ either and ordered the Seat Concepts cover and foam and then later ordered the Seat Concepts Sport-Touring foam, neither of them worked well for me so I finally had a custom seat built and couldn't be happier. 

That was precisely what I did, at considerable expense, and they didn't work for me at all.   The BAGSTER route eventuated, and my bum thought it had died and gone to heaven!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I just tried something tonight and it worked pretty decent for me as a temporary fix until something better aftermarket comes along.

With the plastic tray in the high setting, similar to what roadwarrior above did. I made some spacers out of some hard foam for the front rubber stops to sit on, and the plastic tang on the seat bottom of the pan that sits in the aluminum 2 step bracket, I pushed it slightly in between the tank at the very top of the bracket, above where it would normally rest. this raised the front of the seat about an inch or so. You do get some side to side movement with your hand at the front of the seat, but with my weight on it, it didn't move even in corners or if I tried to make it move by shifting my weight around. I rode it 30 miles home from work and it felt MUCH improved. Not a perfect solution, but maybe give it a shot.

Don't be jealous of my amazing microsoft paint skills!

Put this:

Seat.jpg

In here, notice foam spacers.

Seat1.jpg

Here's a side shot

Seat3.jpg

The pot metal tangs do not quite grab the plastic tang on the front of the seat pan with high front and low back position. So seat will move side to side easily. I had a seat pan made also and it fits much tighter and better then the OEM seat pan. 

Yeah, there is some movement side to side as I said. But it didn't seem to be a factor with my weight on it while riding. I'm 6'1" 225lbs inseam is around 32-33. I was still able to mostly flat foot it.   I don't recall on the rear latch, but I think it was in the high position and it latched securely. 

This isn't a permanent fix all, but just something to maybe try temporarily to see if it works for someone else. 

Archived