Alpine drystar apex let down, suggestions to replace?

mangosmoothie

Hey guys,

Need some new gloves for cooler days/rain. I had some Alpinestar apex drystar, but they're nearing the end.
alpinestars-apex-drystar-gloves.jpg

They really aren't waterproof, they're impossible to put on once they're wet, they're falling apart on the index finger, and they fit horribly. I have small hands and wear a size small. These are like a Large glove with a small size inner liner. So the fingers just don't fit.

So the real requirements are waterproof, and warm (like able to ride down to 50*). What suggestions do you have?

Choosing gloves is like choosing a wife: everyone has a different view on what is best and you’ll never know how good they are until you try them. ?

Platitudes aside, all gloves will get wet eventually. I have some 1 year old Alpinestar goretex gloves that are usually great, but can be defeated by biblical rain volumes. Goretex and any other breathable membrane will eventually get saturated. When that happens they are really hard to put back on again, that’s just the nature of wet gloves.

As for the cold: I hate gloves that are so thick that I lose the feel of the levers and can’t work switch gear. So, I use thinner insulated gloves and put the grip heaters on instead. So, if you don’t already have them, I would definitely recommend getting heaters before thick gloves.

In summary: buy breathable waterproof gloves for the rain, but accept that occasionally they’ll fail (so bring another pair with you for longer trips) and thinner gloves but get grip heaters. But, whatever you do, go to a shop and try them on rather than listen to someone else’s recommendation. Or, you’ll end up with someone else’s wife ( sorry, gloves).

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

With grip heaters, I'm fine in the 50s with a waterproof glove with zero to very light insulation but YMMV. Currently have Held Waves and they've done well in some gnarly rain. Before that Scorpion Tempest which has a few features of much higher-priced gloves, double cuff etc for a good price. They lasted about half as long as my prior Held goretex gloves but unless Helds are on sale it's a better value.

Revzilla's video reviews are a pretty good source of info for glove shopping.

I have so many gloves. I often carry 3-4 pairs in the winter. One very old Roadgear insulated thin leather gloves that work really well in the cold. The good aspect of these gloves is that the palm is thin, with the back side of the fingers insulated puffy. I can use these with the heated grips into the 30's. When it gets into the 30's I like my FJR as it provides heat at the bottom edge of the tank. The Roadgear gloves are not gortex or waterproof. I use a pair of Olympia over gloves with no insulation. They are three layers: outer nylon layer, middle gortex, and inner polyester lining. I often use these with heated glove liners, even though I have heated grips. When it rains and is in the 40's the wind chill can make any glove cold. The extra heat on the back of my hands helps. Some days I will wear all that I have with me.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Supporting Member
Choosing gloves is like choosing a wife: everyone has a different view on what is best and you’ll never know how good they are until you try them. ? 
But, whatever you do, go to a shop and try them on rather than listen to someone else’s recommendation. Or, you’ll end up with someone else’s wife ( sorry, gloves).

^^^This^^^  Especially since sizing varies so much between manufacturers. 

I went to a local Cycle Gear and tried many gloves and the sizing is all over the place, some brands I was comfortable in a Large, others I needed an XL or even XXL.

And warmth is subjective, when temperatures are in the 50's I'm still wearing my summer vented gloves.

I agree with the other suggestions on using oem heated grips as well as bringing an additional pair of gloves.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Archived