Cheers Yamaha !

@3way I don’t know if you just like an argument, but chill out. Accusing me of being part of Yamaha for stating the obvious is uncalled for. 
SkipperT has it dead on.
Yes, he is. Since I did not install anything, and a bracket has snapped, when the bike has just done 3000 miles, I believe that falls under a part failing prematurely. So yes, Skipper is right. Hence my thought it might be warranty claim. Unless sitting on the seat and riding the bike is somehow owner negligence. I feel that really is the whole point here, it's seemed so straightforward, and despite having the inconvenience I accepted that sometimes a few parts are made with a flaw. I guess I'm a little wound up after feeling patronised by the dealer. The dealer immediately insisted it was my fault because 'I've fitted the seat incorrectly'. I asked him to show me how, because I can't see a way of doing that, and he couldn't find a way either, despite his best efforts. But, instead of accepting this, he changed his tune, and insisted it was another dealers fault, because they should have picked it up on the 600 mile service, so there was nothing they could do. Despite this occurring at just under 3000 miles....Now totally bewildered, I insisted they ring Yamaha for a second opinion, and days later (I had to ring them back) was told by dealer that Yamaha say it's not a part that's covered by warranty. Hence being a little off, and consequently venting my frustration with the wrong people. APOLOGIES TO ALL, and now feel a little embarrassed at my responses. 

Hi 3way!

I think you have every right to feel aggrieved and in my opinion have no need to apologies. The manufacturers warranty covers everything on the bike with a very few exceptions for wear and tear parts for the period of the warranty.  The onus is on Yamaha to prove that a faulty item was caused by something other than a manufacturing defect.  Your dealer is clearly an idiot.  To claim that it should have been picked up at the 600 mile service is irrelevant.  The fault might not have existed at that time, also the 600 mile service (if you don't sync the throttle bodies) doesn't even require the seat to be removed.  Also to complain that they can't do anything because a service was performed by another dealer is bollocks.  That would mean that you would always have to go back to the dealer who first serviced your bike.  The whole point of the dealer is that they are the manufacturers representative, you can go to any dealer at any time with a warranty claim and they should sort it.  I don't understand the dealers reticence as the cost for any warranty work is picked up by Yamaha centrally, not the dealer.

Also I don't agree with others here who say "fix it yourself and move on".  It's this sort of response that allows dealers/manufacturers to get away with things they're legally obliged to fix.  If I were you I'd make a call to Trading Standards and let them do some of the hard work on your behalf.

CS

• Premium Member
You absolutely shouldn’t have to but, in my experience if you raise enough hell, one of them will fix it.
Just follow the “Road House” rule. Be nice.....till it’s time to not be nice.

Let’s go Brandon

Well, thanks guys, I agree with you both, and yes, I think some people's advice was a little misplaced. I was in a really good mood when I went into dealers, my bikes my pride and joy, it's the excuses and blame the dealership made that upset me, they were just a bit insulting. Still, it's cost them (and yamaha) the sale of a MT10. After seeing my broken bracket and the dealers response, a friends just given that the flick and has laid down a deposit this morning on a new (last years) BMW for not much more to replace his R1. But hey, I guess yamahas not worried about that, it just seems a bit of a shame really.

I’ll try one more time, then leave it, only because I hate being misconstrued. And because I don’t think we need to get emotional about it.

I think @3way was perfectly correct to expect that an obvious fault with a bracket would be replaced under warranty. I would have found it frustrating to get the response he did from his dealer. I would have then walked away, replaced the part by mail order so the dealer got nothing from it and found another dealer for future work.

Where we may differ is I think it’s naive to then escalate it to Yamaha head office or trading standards and expect a different response. I don’t believe in the slightest that complaining further will achieve anything, nor will a lack of complaint encourage dealers to do this in the future as @captainscarlet suggests. It will however colour your opinion of Yamaha and maybe, as your friend has already done, influence whether you buy another bike from them. In the end, that is where it really matters to them, in terms of bike sales. Good products with good dealer support will drive sales and vice-versa.

@3way, I hope you get the part replaced and enjoy what is fundamentally a great bike.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

I’d just like to point out that the seat does have to come off at the initial service to check the battery terminal tightness and level of charge. The DLC plug for connecting a laptop is also in that area.

Regardless, your best leverage at that dealer is letting them know they lost a sale. That usually gets a reaction when they know a potential customer went someplace else to buy a bike. Especially when they know a measly $30 seat part cost them “X” amount of dollars in lost sales, parts, and service revenue.

Sucks it has to be that way. I feel for you and personally think they should have stepped up to make (you) a customer happy.

-Skip

I’d just like to point out that the seat does have to come off at the initial service to check the battery terminal tightness and level of charge. The DLC plug for connecting a laptop is also in that area.  
Regardless, your best leverage at that dealer is letting them know they lost a sale. That usually gets a reaction when they know a potential customer went someplace else to buy a bike. Especially when they know a measly $30 seat part cost them “X” amount of dollars in lost sales, parts, and service revenue.

Sucks it has to be that way. I feel for you and personally think they should have stepped up to make (you) a customer happy.

-Skip
It's my long-held belief that the weakest link in the chain for most motorcycle manufacturers is the end retailer.   They are among the very worst, IMO and experience, when it comes to product knowledge, service, reliability, and communication.   And I have a lifetime spent in retail to realistically believe that I know a bit about customer service. 
Case in point: I have owned three (3) Tracers, becoming rather more satisfied and impressed with each successive bike.   About three months ago I e-mailed the dealer from who I bought two of these Tracers, using their website's 'contact us' facility, asking if they knew the likely e.t.a. of the new GT model, as I was interested.   

I should add that popping-in to this dealership entails travelling (there and back) about 150km, so it's not an easy thing to arrange.   No reply.   

After a decent wait I posted a sarcastic word or three on their website, and swiftly received a load of bullshet in response from a young salesman there who I wouldn't trust (from past experience) further than I could throw him.

I was promised a call when the GT finally arrived.  About three weeks ago, then, still having heard nothing, but becoming increasingly interested as info and impressions on this Forum grew apace, I again contacted them via their website 'contact us'.   Result (you guessed it!) - still no response.

Some businesses just don't deserve to succeed - and some people in front-line sales positions ought not to be allowed with a mile of a potential customer. 

Rant over!

LATER EDIT: in fairness I must say that I have now received an e-mail from the dealership, but only after my two enquiries to them, the first having gone unanswered.   Effectively they say that Yamaha still has not delivered GTs to them - "we do not have one on the floor as of yet unfortunately,we are still waiting for our 1st one to show up,i have emailed yamaha for a eta and will let you know as soon as i hear back."

Of course, there might be some good reason for that, such as a dealer's credit rating, but at least I have heard.   As an aside, Yamaha Australia cannot be too keen to sell these bikes if the roll-out is so tardy!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Not according to the service manual or the owners handbook.  In both those documents neither of the checks your mention is part of the service schedule at 600 miles or 1000 km.  In fact neither the battery or plugging in to check fault codes is mentioned under any of the service points in those two documents. 
CS

• Premium Member
It might be beneficial to go to a different dealer if there's an option near you. Someone else mentioned that dealer backing goes a long way when it comes to getting warranty work completed. Yamaha can only go by the explanation and opinion of the dealer reporting the claim.

In my own case, I went to a dealer when my motorcycle was new and asked about the cam chain tensioner since some 2015 models were having an issue. The first two dealers told me they won't touch it unless there's an active issue. The third dealer was very quick to order a new CCT and replace it at no charge to me and stated they would rather I never had a problem in the first place. This is my new dealer.

Finding a good service manager you can work with is gold. I'll drop a service manager quick if they start to display evidence of playing a blame game, but I'm also lucky to have options in my little corner of the world.

Not according to the service manual or the owners handbook.  In both those documents neither of the checks your mention is part of the service schedule at 600 miles or 1000 km.  In fact neither the battery or plugging in to check fault codes is mentioned under any of the service points in those two documents. 
CS

I wasn’t quoting the book, but what my shop actually performs according to the sheet filled out by the technician. They also do the TB sync. Battery terminal tightness confirms the set up kid did his job as well.

In the book the other items are listed for the 4K.

(Older Yamaha models did have check marks for those items (except for check FI on carb models). The 600 mile services were more involved. ) As mentioned my shop is old school.

-S

I wasn’t quoting the book, but what my shop actually performs according to the sheet filled out by the technician. They also do the TB sync. Battery terminal tightness confirms the set up kid did his job as well.  
In the book the other items are listed for the 4K.

(Older Yamaha models did have check marks for those items (except for check FI on carb models). The 600 mile services were more involved. ) As mentioned my shop is old school.

-S

Skip, 
As always you make a valuable contribution, however and with respect it is irrelevant what your workshop has done as a result of them being old school.  As I mentioned neither checking the battery or connecting to the ECU is part of Yamaha's service schedule at any of the mileage intervals.  I have enclosed a copy of the service sheet which was used at my last service in May of this year.  The contents of the service sheet match exactly what is described both in the owners handbook and the factory service manual.  Checking the battery or connecting to the ECU do not feature anywhere.....have I mentioned that already?  tongue.png   The reason I am laboring the point is that the OP is in a discussion with his dealer/Yamaha which partly centers around whether a fault should have been discovered at the 600 mile service.  Based on Yamaha's own service documentation in three separate documents the fault would have been impossible to discover given that none of the service checks at the 600 mile service require removal of the seat (given that many dealers don't check the throttle sync).

Now I'm not arguing against that it would be great that these checks were performed as part of a scheduled service, which your old school workshop has diligently performed on your bike.  But unfortunately (?) Yamaha don't think so.

CS

Yamaha-service-schedule.jpg

I must have been thinking of the newer models (see attached from FJ09 General Maint, item 1) Yamaha is adding this to more service manuals, our 2015-16 books missed it.

Anyway as you said, it doesn’t matter in this case. 3way’s dealer didn’t want to budge regardless.

-Skip

ab9b6861a66370925684d6dec51108da.jpg

Archived