Cheers Yamaha !

I found my seat wobbling a bit, and on removing, found the adjustable seat bracket has broken, (the middle slat) on my UK 2017. No problem, probably a bad cast, these things happen, I'll pop it into dealers as it's still under warranty. They contact Yamaha and they say no... It should have been picked up in first 600 mile service. What ? It's done about 3,000 miles and only just happened. They then say it's not an item covered under warranty. If it just rattled, I'd put up with it, but it looks like that's pretty much holding the seat in place, so a bit dodgy to ride at moment. I'm very disappointed, and not sure what to do next ? 

Its hard to read from the parts directory but it looks to be a £30 part, so whilst it’s certainly annoying i’d order the new part and move on swiftly. And probably to another dealer if you have a choice.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Its hard to read from the parts directory but it looks to be a £30 part, so whilst it’s certainly annoying i’d order the new part and move on swiftly. And probably to another dealer if you have a choice.
The dealer contacted customer services and went by their reply. Thing is, it's also chewed up the locating lip on the seat, where the broken bit has been gauging. What bothers me though, is your right, the bracket is only £30.00, so, what's that actually costing yamaha, a fiver ?  I also think it's a bit off to say it should have been picked up at the 600 mile service so blaming it on that dealer, when I'd already stated it's just recently occurred. Then they said it's a part not covered by warranty ? It's a bracket, not a wear and tear item ? It's not the price of the part as such, just the realisation that Yamahas warranty means f all. Yes, I will buy part myself, but a warranty is supposed to be piece of mind, instead I'm very worried if an expensive part fails, and so should others, being that they're giving me the flick on a relatively cheap part. I may just be unlucky and got a jobsworth on a bad day, but as with Josh, never had this with Honda, which will be an interesting factor next year when I renew. 

• Supporting Member
I found my seat wobbling a bit, and on removing, found the adjustable seat bracket has broken, (the middle slat) on my UK 2017.

Looking at the Parts Diagram are you referring to part #6?  Seat Bracket Assembly?

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I get your frustration @3way, I really do. But I also think that warranties are of limited value. Yes, in an ideal world your dealer would instinctively decide that your goodwill is worth a lot and replace it for free, hoping that you’ll get the bike serviced there and they’ll recoup the cost. But in reality they’ll try everything to avoid the issue.

I simply accept that the bike is mine. My responsibility, my choice on what I do myself and what I trust a dealer to do when I run out of talent. You can rant and rave about the lack of warranty cover and ride a bike with a loose seat, or just get on and replace it. It’s a harsh world and that may influence your future decisions on bike purchases.

• Premium Member
A lot of times the "corporate" help you get from Yamaha or any large corporation depends on the support you are getting from the dealer. If they don't have your back you're screwed.

I have a good relationship with my service adjuster and I have met the service techs. The techs don't really "know" me, but they "know" I'm a regular.

Two stories.

My clutch cable broke (common, right?) My service adjuster personally waited for me to get the bike there. It was around an hour "after" they closed when I got there. Not a problem he says.

Who do I like? This guy. He didn't have to do that.

A couple weeks ago I had my 20,000 mile service done. While in, the service tech replaced the cam chain tensioner on his own. In his notes he said it was required.

I have been listening, didn't seem loud. My personal opinion is that it was ok. A classic example of a someone making "sure" it would be ok. You get a little more when they know you.

I was a "Doorman" for quite a while. I knew who my regulars were. I took care of them. I didn't kick their a$$ unless they gave me absolutely no choice.

If you're not happy with a service provider, move on. Find someone you are comfortable with and build a relationship with them. It will pay off in the long run.

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

BBB.....as in my previous post, if you take time to read it properly, I've said yes, I will replace, so I won't be riding a bike with a loose seat. But, unlike your opinion, the quality of the parts is not my responsibility, it's Yamaha's, and they should last the time a reasonable person should expect. What you do is up to you, but a warranty is not 'good will'  as you've stated, but a contractual obligation, and is part of the sales of goods act legal framework, brought in to protect consumers. What you 'think' about warranties and how you go about things does not change this. But thanks for being so condescending, and telling us all to get on with it and just forget warranty claims. Really ?  I'm now wondering what ties you have to Yamaha to say that ? Are you part of a dealership ? I said based on this experience, their warranty is worth f all, at least you seem to agree with me. Where does that leave anyone that has an expensive part fail within the warranty period if they won't replace a cheap part ? A bit worrying to my mind. On a lighter note, congratulations to Leon Haslam. 

Betony, the link is just a generic page. If you take off front seat, you will see a bracket attached to tank that it slots back into.  You can slot it in higher or lower. The middle slat is broken so the seat moves up and down and is gauging away the seat 'finger' . No 10 in pic. All the best.

IMG-3839.png

• Supporting Member
As in my previous post, if you take time to read it properly, I've said yes, I will replace, so I won't be riding a bike with a loose seat will I ? But, unlike your opinion, the quality of the parts is not my responsibility, it's Yamaha's, and they should last the time a reasonable person should expect. What you do is up to you, but a warranty is not 'good will'  as you've stated, but a contractual obligation, and is part of the sales of goods act legal framework, brought in to protect consumers. What you 'think' about warranties and how you go about things does not change this. But thanks for being so condescending, and telling us all to get on with it and just forget warranty claims. Really ?  Thanks all the same, but I won't, and am now wondering what ties you have to Yamaha to say that ? Are you part of a dealership ? I said based on this experience, their warranty is worth f all, at least you seem to agree with me.  As an aside, I met in person a very nice man from Yamaha today, who was surprised by this situation and is going to look into it and hopefully it will be resolved and restore my faith. Again, I fear for anyone having a major part fail within the warranty period if you have to go through all this for a minor part. 
 Yamaha should warranty that part no problem. 

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• Premium Member
As in my previous post, if you take time to read it properly, I've said yes, I will replace, so I won't be riding a bike with a loose seat will I ? But, unlike your opinion, the quality of the parts is not my responsibility, it's Yamaha's, and they should last the time a reasonable person should expect. What you do is up to you, but a warranty is not 'good will'  as you've stated, but a contractual obligation, and is part of the sales of goods act legal framework, brought in to protect consumers. What you 'think' about warranties and how you go about things does not change this. But thanks for being so condescending, and telling us all to get on with it and just forget warranty claims. Really ?  Thanks all the same, but I won't, and am now wondering what ties you have to Yamaha to say that ? Are you part of a dealership ? I said based on this experience, their warranty is worth f all, at least you seem to agree with me.  As an aside, I met in person a very nice man from Yamaha today, who was surprised by this situation and is going to look into it and hopefully it will be resolved and restore my faith. Again, I fear for anyone having a major part fail within the warranty period if you have to go through all this for a minor part. 
At the risk of sounding "condescending" chill out. I'm on your side. Nowhere did I suggest you not pursue it.  
Replacing it should have been a "no brainer" for the dealership.

We are a commodity to the dealerships. We have what they want. The money in our pockets.

Eating a $30 part warranty or not provides you with a good will to return to the dealership and spend more money.

My suggestion was to find another (better) dealer.

A dealer who sees the value of a happy customer.

That's what my little stories were trying to convey.

Good luck either way.

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

At the risk of sounding "condescending" chill out. I'm on your side. Nowhere did I suggest you not pursue it.  
Replacing it should have been a "no brainer" for the dealership.

We are a commodity to the dealerships. We have what they want. The money in our pockets.

Eating a $30 part warranty or not provides you with a good will to return to the dealership and spend more money.

My suggestion was to find another (better) dealer.

A dealer who sees the value of a happy customer.

That's what my little stories were trying to convey.

Good luck either way.

You also need to remember 3way that covered parts that fail prematurely of their own accord are usually covered under warranty.

Parts that fail due to an installation error or some reason that cannot be clearly called manufacturing defect are NOT a warrantable failure.

-Skip

@3way I don’t know if you just like an argument, but chill out. Accusing me of being part of Yamaha for stating the obvious is uncalled for.

SkipperT has it dead on.

Archived