Frame sliders/Crash bars

I can imagine. This is why I'm probably not too worried about protection at high speed - at that point, it seems like all bets are off. However, I have already had a couple of scares moving the bike around the garage or rolling up to a light and misjudged the weight or put a foot on something slippery.  My guess is she gets dropped eventually, but my hope is that it isn't at speed. 

Ideally, I'd like to aim for a sweet spot - get the right type of protection to make sure small errors on my part aren't too costly and hopefully also use whatever bars or sliders I add as highway pegs on long rides and maybe as mount-points if I add LEDs.  I keep waffling between an all-in Higdonion cage and skid plate approach or doing to drain plug swap to protect the oil pan and sticking with sliders or something like the H&B crashbar. 

Adjuster wrote about  sliders: "They are from T-Rex, have an upper aluminum bar that spans..."

A question, can you rest your foot or leg on the engine sliders, they look to have a fairly wide platform...??

-CD-

2015 Yamaha FJ-09: RaceTech Gold Valves, RaceTech Rear Spring, Arrow Full Exhaust - black with w/Carbon Fibre endcap, ECU Flash, Lowered 20mm front, 15 mm rear, Denali driving lights, Fenda Extenda, Tail Tidy, Corbin Seat, Madstad 22" Windshield, OEM heated grips, Woodcraft frame sliders, Grip Puppies, BadAss Cover (Large)....

Those Evotech bobbins have been on my wish list for a while...and thanks for the link to the Aliexpress case guards - they might do the trick at a fraction of the price of an R&G kit.

We had a pretty warm day here for Canada, so I was able to take the FJ to work and then poured a beer when i got home and set her up on the centre stand to take a closer look (she's been in the corner of the garage under a cover for about a month).

What I figured out is that the most comfortable spot for a set of pegs for me (32" seam) would be about 4-6" directly below the front engine mount.  So, a Higdonion cage is likely the best (only?) option if I wanted to add a peg in that general area, and then I could add a LED further up by the bolt.  

I also figured out that I likely need a set of risers...yikes.

>> What I figured out is that the most comfortable spot for a set of pegs for me (32" seam) would be about 4-6" directly below the front engine mount. <<

I recently installed a set of Woodcraft sliders on the front (lower) engine mount and they provide a good place to rest my legs on those longer rides. A nice way to kill two birds with one stone, eh?
-CD-

2015 Yamaha FJ-09: RaceTech Gold Valves, RaceTech Rear Spring, Arrow Full Exhaust - black with w/Carbon Fibre endcap, ECU Flash, Lowered 20mm front, 15 mm rear, Denali driving lights, Fenda Extenda, Tail Tidy, Corbin Seat, Madstad 22" Windshield, OEM heated grips, Woodcraft frame sliders, Grip Puppies, BadAss Cover (Large)....

• Premium Member
>> What I figured out is that the most comfortable spot for a set of pegs for me (32" seam) would be about 4-6" directly below the front engine mount. << 
I recently installed a set of Woodcraft sliders on the front (lower) engine mount and they provide a good place to rest my legs on those longer rides. A nice way to kill two birds with one stone, eh?
I looked at the link you provided and have a question.  From the pictures (FZ-09 Frame Slider) I see a counter-sunk bolt going through the slider.  One picture shows it going all the way through the slider and protruding out the other side (even though it's not even screwed all of the way in).  In the pictures of it installed on the bike, they never show the side where the bolt would protrude on the other side. 

So does it really do that?  What's the purpose of that bolt? 

• Premium Member
You seem to be looking at the mount only. The perpendicular bolt is used to attach the puck to the mount.

Actually I was looking at the perpendicular (not the black) bolt. So I gather the perpendicular bolt does not protrude beyond the slider puck itself (as the picture suggests). That certainly makes more sense.

GotFZ1 is correct, the bolt does not protrude. I will probably paint the whole thing black (hellooo Krylon!) so they will not show...
-CD-

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
  • Supporting Member
On 2/6/2016 at 7:43 PM, com3 said:

they work. :)

20160206_161506-X3.jpg

Installed R&G case covers earlier but still wanted the additional coverage  Crash-Bars offered. Looked at crash bars and decided on the GIVI TN2122's. Took a hacksaw to my R&G case covers. Hope fully this will give me complete coverage. 

Givi Slider L1.jpg

Givi Slider R1.jpg

Givi Slider R2.jpg

Givi Sliders 1.jpg

• Thumbsup 1