Tracer 900 GT main stand

Hi All 
My first proper ride out yesterday with my missis on the back and we had a great day,  BUT 3 times whiles cornering right I scrapped my main stand on the floor, twice on a roundabout and one big scrap when turning right a junction which had a dip in the road. 
Surely I should not be able to scrap the main stand at the speeds and angles I was doing!  
The main stand does look like there is room to fold up further so why have yamaha designed the stand like this?
Has anyone else with a new Tracer 900 GT had the same problem? 
Blue 42

With a pillion you will have compressed the suspension more. Did you adjust the preload?

Have a search as a few people on the none GT have thinned down the rubber stop on the centre stand, which raises the parked position.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

With a pillion you will have compressed the suspension more. Did you adjust the preload? 
Have a search as a few people on the none GT have thinned down the rubber stop on the centre stand, which raises the parked position.
If the GT is like my 09, you'll need to crank the suspension all the way stiff to handle two-up riding.  And even then it's not really up to the task of supporting 300-400 pounds in style. 
Best solution is a very petite and slim pillion (male or female:). 

cb
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

Had the same problem, solved it in a few seconds.
I've changed the rubber part on the central stand

gumica-thumb-jpg-a76090bbba589a418ec0422ca8821f1a.jpg

stender1-thumb-jpg-23b2a0c2992f0e1c8bddd2906a607d44.jpg

Honda CB600F Hornet 2008; KTM LC4 640 SM Prestige 2007; Kawasaki Z1000 2007; Honda CB1000R 2010; BMW R1200GS 2010; Yamaha Tracer 900GT 2018; Yamaha TDM900 2002; Kawasaki KLX230 2020; KTM 690 Enduro R 2022: Bold = current

• Supporting Member
Best solution is a very petite and slim pillion (male or female:).  

That suggestion might not go over very well with the significant other.  ;-|

Best bet is correct spring rate for your intended combined weight, Rider+passenger+cargo/side bags.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Interesting. 
On a recent ride my bike took a very hard hit on what I think was the center stand.

I drove through a deep puddle and BANG, the front wheel dropped into a hole. Scared the piss out of me but I did not drop the bike.

I immediately stopped and looked for the oil seeping from the pan. Thank god it was not.  I next looked for impact marks or dents on the (stock) exhaust system but nothing.

So the only place left to take the hit was the center stand.  I wonder if reducing the size of the rubber buggy bumper would have resulted in pushing the stand into the frame? And if that might be not good??

cb
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

Hi All I had the preload turned up on the ride out and I still touch the stand but the missis didn't like the hard ride so I turned the pre load back a couple of clicks for the ride home which worked for a more comfortable ride.
I just think the centre stand has been designed poorly, the first thing I think should have been scrapped is the foot peg! And it shouldn't matter on weight when I went into a corner on my old bike a ZR7-S IN 5 years I've only ever touch my boot once!
I'm going to contact yamaha and see what they say :-(
Blue42

upgrade the suspension... or re-evaluate body position/lean angle when cornering... not all bikes need to lean over like a crotch rocket to turn...

stock OEM suspension is set for a #175ish suited rider- even then its still lacking when it gets pushed harder...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

I just think the centre stand has been designed poorly, the first thing I think should have been scrapped is the foot peg! And it shouldn't matter on weight when I went into a corner on my old bike a ZR7-S IN 5 years I've only ever touch my boot once!

I only ever ride solo, but the footpeg definitely touches down first if you’ve applied lean angle smoothly, on my ‘15 reg bike. I wonder if having a pillion and maybe hitting a bump has allowed the centre stand to move slightly so it caught. Others have reported catching the centre stand as well, but I don’t recall whether this was due to a bump in the road.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

@blue42 - Are you sure it was the centre stand as i am not scratches on the centre stand which would indicate it rubbed so try taking a look at the ball under the foot peg. I regularly scrape the foot pegs (even when riding solo).

@nhchris - I had that happen too. It was probably the exhaust back box and not the pan you hit. Mine has a nice dent in it now.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived