California Scientific windshield

gv550

• 1 month later...

I ordered my large Calsci and finally received it yesterday. They are a bit slow to ship due to having just moved their entire operation from CA to MO (are they going to rebrand as MOsci? haha). Anyway, no riding yet, but the first thing I noticed that I didn't like is that my mirrors hit the shield without turning the bars very much at all. I adjusted the angle of the mirrors which is going to limit their function and reduce my field of view out of them, but I found these extenders that I think will help a lot with that issue:

http://www.adventuretech.biz/yamaha-mirror-extenders.html

I have bought some items for my V-strom a few years back from this company and their stuff is pretty nice, especially for the money. I like that these extend the mirror stalks instead of using the usual widening brackets to space the mirror out, much more elegant.

Hopefully, I will get a chance to try the shield out in the next couple of days. It's frustrating when you get something new and then can't try it out right away which is my situation today. I have to work today (I work at a metric motorcycle dealership) and normally would ride my Tracer and enjoy it's wind protection and heated grips, particularly given it probably won't get over 40 degrees today. Instead, I have to ride my little Yamaha SR400 to get a recall done.

2019 Tracer GT and 2015 SR400

That's annoying and why I went with a Parabellum screen.  When I talked with screen manufacturers I got a lot of "Yes, But..." answers to my question "does your screen fit the FJ without any interference to the stock hand guards?"

Only Parabellum answered unequivocally, "Yes."

cb

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

I finally got to try my new Cal Sci screen. For reference, I am 6'1" with a 33" inseam and I ordered the large. I am glad I got the large size because I kinda wish it was an inch or two taller. I do like that I am cleanly looking over the top of the screen, but I would still be were it a tad higher and  another couple of inches would allow me to run the adjustment mechanism down if I need to look over it a bit more.

I do like that lack of buffeting, but the stream of air still hits the top of my helmet causing a little bit of noise. Since I ride with ear plugs, it isn't bothersome. I was just hoping for near silence, which I think would be possible if it was taller. Now, I am wondering is the Madstad would have been the way to go.  I will see how this thing works for me and it is nice to have something that is far better than stock. Glad to see more options becoming available for the 2019+ bikes.

5 hours ago, undecider said:

I finally got to try my new Cal Sci screen. For reference, I am 6'1" with a 33" inseam and I ordered the large. I am glad I got the large size because I kinda wish it was an inch or two taller. I do like that I am cleanly looking over the top of the screen, but I would still be were it a tad higher and  another couple of inches would allow me to run the adjustment mechanism down if I need to look over it a bit more.

I do like that lack of buffeting, but the stream of air still hits the top of my helmet causing a little bit of noise. Since I ride with ear plugs, it isn't bothersome. I was just hoping for near silence, which I think would be possible if it was taller. Now, I am wondering is the Madstad would have been the way to go.  I will see how this thing works for me and it is nice to have something that is far better than stock. Glad to see more options becoming available for the 2019+ bikes.

Might be a silly question but is your windshield in the highest position? The Tracer has built in adjustability. 

'15 FJ09

On 1/1/2019 at 4:32 PM, koth442 said:

Might be a silly question but is your windshield in the highest position? The Tracer has built in adjustability. 

That is a silly question, haha. Indeed, running the screen all the way up. 

4 hours ago, undecider said:

That is a silly question, haha. Indeed, running the screen all the way up. 

Okay just checking. 

You might want to call and ask about a taller screen. If they get enough interest from tall folk like yourself they might find a way to make one. Just a thought.

'15 FJ09

My concern with making it any taller is the weight and frontal area of the screen being too large for the stock mechanism that holds the screen. That adjustable bracket doesn't seem to be the most robust. I can only imagine how much force that thing must have to withstand at 80 mph as it is let along with another 24-30 square inches of surface area.

12 hours ago, undecider said:

My concern with making it any taller is the weight and frontal area of the screen being too large for the stock mechanism that holds the screen. That adjustable bracket doesn't seem to be the most robust. I can only imagine how much force that thing must have to withstand at 80 mph as it is let along with another 24-30 square inches of surface area.

That's a good point, and now that you mention it, I'm 99% sure that's why they don't make a taller one.

'15 FJ09

Archived