California Scientific windshield

gv550

Does anyone here have experience with this windshield or the company? They appear to have 3 sizes of shields available for the GT, although the photos show them on a standard Tracer. 
calsci.com , maybe someone with better computer skills than me could post up those photos here.
I am looking for a larger windshield to reduce some of the wind noise, I tried the Yamaha touring screen at my local dealer and was disappointed, marginal improvement as far as wind noise is concerned and I think it is way ugly with the bulges at the sides and the reversed flip at the top.
The Calsci appears to be mostly flat with a vent duct to reduce turbulence, and compliments the Tracer style better than the Yamaha touring screen.

2019 Tracer GT,  Ontario, Canada

Someone posted a picture or two a while back. Unfortunately I don't remember where. I've got their tinted shorty on my 2015 and LOVE it. The brand is quite popular amongst FJR and Vstrom folks too.

'15 FJ09

• Supporting Member
@gv550 - I also run a CalSci tinted shorty on my FJ, which i realize isn’t directly relevant to your inquiry about a taller screen for your GT. But I can verify that the CalSci products are very well made, and the company is reliable and easy to do business with. Many forum members have been happy with the various screens they offer, so I would anticipate good things for the new GT screens as well.

• Premium Member
Does anyone here have experience with this windshield or the company? They appear to have 3 sizes of shields available for the GT, although the photos show them on a standard Tracer. 

I have used a Cal Sci large windscreen since 2015. It is well made and quieter than the Yamaha screen. The large keeps the wind off of you. The company provides good service. I have only good things to say about them.

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

• Premium Member
I had one on my 2015. Switched to a Madstad. It was OK, but the material it was made from had a slightly milky appearance. I don't know if they are all that way (mine was clear, not tinted). Much happier with the Madstad, although it could be a while before they come up with one for the new GT.

I have the tinted shorty AND the largest one they make for the GT. Works very well for me. I was out all day with the GT using the large shield in 37 degree weather, no electric gear and my torso was very warm. It really keeps the wind off of you and it does a great job with buffeting. Overall very happy and they are a great company to work with. I too bought the Yamaha touring and was not content with it at all. 

20180823-075118-HDR.jpg

20180823-075134-HDR.jpg

20180824-080011-HDR.jpg

20180824-080015-HDR.jpg

20180823-190207-HDR.jpg

2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT

I bought a California Scientific windscreen at the recommendation of a friend.  The company was great, answering every question I had and delivering on-time and well packaged. 

However, I must be the only person dissatisfied with the windscreen itself.  I had a lot of helmet buffeting no matter the height setting.  I'm only 5'10", so I was not outside of the normal range of expected heights.  In the end I jettisoned the California Scientific windscreen for a PUIG one, which has worked like a boy dog - no buffeting at all.

new%20front_zpsrtsc6bm1.jpg

2015 Yamaha FJ-09 and 2018 Yamaha XSR700

Thanks for all the replies and advice. I'm 6'0" but all legs, 33" inseam and the chart shows I should get the medium size screen.
Himiskelly, what size screen do you have? It looks smaller than in the other photos. And if you decided to not use it, would you like to sell it?
Gerdawg, you said yours is the large size, how tall are you and what position is your seat?

2019 Tracer GT,  Ontario, Canada

Thanks for all the replies and advice. I'm 6'0" but all legs, 33" inseam and the chart shows I should get the medium size screen. Himiskelly, what size screen do you have? It looks smaller than in the other photos. And if you decided to not use it, would you like to sell it?
Gerdawg, you said yours is the large size, how tall are you and what position is your seat?
I'm 5'8" with 32" inseam making the medium just a tad too tall for me. That's why I opted for the tinted shorty.

'15 FJ09

• Premium Member
Wow, dfriz, that's a great looking GT. That screen sure sets it off. Details of turn signals and rear clean-up please..................
No, no.  Details on his avatar, please.

2019 Tracer 900 GT

Niwot CO
USA

Archived