FJ 09 Issue Advice for Newbies

I think it is important to point out many of the FJ 09 Issues and Niggles have been have been addressed by Yamaha over the years.  So you have to put in context the complaints you read about in this forum.  I bought a 2018 FJ 09.  When I first joined I wondered what a lot of the complaints were referring to, then I realized they were talking about the earlier models not the one I have.

The biggest issue is the windshield.  That appears to have been addressed in the 2019 Tracer models.  But the windshields on all the earlier FJ 09's are neither effective nor attractive.  And, IMHO, you have to choose between a shower or door or something that looks good on the bike but doesn't give full protection to replace the stock unit.  I went with the VStream sport tour.  It's not perfect but I like it.

Right behind that is the fueling.  I didn't realize it at first, but that issue is very different for the early 2015 models.  It apparently was addressed in 2017 because my 2018 runs fine, especially after I synced the throttle bodies.  I did end up getting a Throttle Tamer to tame some slight snatchiness, but that was primarily because I found the Tamer for a little over $50 and figured it couldn't hurt (and it does help).

The third issue is the seat, which I actually don't have a problem with.  Maybe it depends on whether you use it in the upper position, as I do, or the low position.  I don't know.  I notice the new Tracer seats look better padded.  I'd try a Comfort Seat if someone sold a used one.  The Corbin seat looks awesome but I'm not paying $600.  So I guess I'll be sticking with the stock seat for now.

Unless you buy the top of the line 2019 Tracer, you have to add your own saddlebags.  I ended up getting the OEM bags, even though they are expensive and they don't hold that much stuff.  The reasons were because they also don't stick way out and make my butt look big; and they don't have an ugly frame that stays on the bike when you take them off.

Then there are the little niggles that I guess still exist, even on the 2019 models.  One is the scooter horn.  I swapped that out for a "Freeway Blaster."  Then there are the mirrors, which are useless.  I added extenders and that cured the problem.  I don't like the dirt bike footpegs, so I swapped those out.  And last but not least is the tail light, which you can barely see.  I got a Custom Dynamics unit to replace that too.

And now I really can't think of anything to complain about....

• Supporting Member
I think it is important to point out many of the FJ 09 Issues and Niggles have been have been addressed by Yamaha over the years.  So you have to put in context the complaints you read about in this forum.  I bought a 2018 FJ 09.   
Right behind that is the fueling.  I didn't realize it at first, but that issue is very different for the early 2015 models.  It apparently was addressed in 2017 because my 2018 runs fine, especially after I synced the throttle bodies.

You make a lot of good points, someone new to the FJ or researching the bike might fear that it is riddled with problems, most of the issues have been ironed out or a resolution is available through aftermarket.

Check your title paperwork, Yamaha didn't make a 2018 FJ09.  2017 was the last year for the FJ before the introduction of the Tracer which was released as a 2019 model.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
Son of a bitch! They told me it was a 2018, but you are right, it is a 2017!!! If there is anything slimier than a Florida motorcycle dealer, I'm not sure what it could be....

LOL, I almost spit coffee on my monitor... sorry for the bad news.  I agree, I dont like a deceptive salesman of any sort.  Water under the bridge now though, enjoy the awesome bike regardless of the model year.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Son of a bitch! They told me it was a 2018, but you are right, it is a 2017!!! If there is anything slimier than a Florida motorcycle dealer, I'm not sure what it could be....
Jesus, I hope that wasn't a Yamaha dealer! 
Here in New England we have a few really large generic motorcycle dealers/distributors.

They seem to source their sales staff from the car dealerships.  Gotta watch our back when dealing with these places.

cb
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

I don't like dealing with motorcycle dealers in Florida, but for a different reason. The vast majority of them use a pricing strategy that I find very deceptive. They advertise one price but the real price is actually much higher because they tack on a series of exorbitant charges to the advertised price before you buy. For example, I saw a leftover CB1100 advertised at a local dealer for $6,000. That seemed like a good deal so I said I was interested. Then they had me sit down, wrote it up and came back with an actual price of closer to $9,000.

Now some of that was registry charges but about $2,000 of it was for "freight" and "prep" plus "document" fees and other dealer fees like that. I was so pissed I walked out (and later ended up buying an FJ 09)!

I guess the guy selling the FJ was a crook too!!! The price was more reasonable but it turns out the model was a year older than he said!

I don't like dealing with motorcycle dealers in Florida, but for a different reason. The vast majority of them use a pricing strategy that I find very deceptive. They advertise one price but the real price is actually much higher because they tack on a series of exorbitant charges to the advertised price before you buy. For example, I saw a leftover CB1100 advertised at a local dealer for $6,000. That seemed like a good deal so I said I was interested. Then they had me sit down, wrote it up and came back with an actual price of closer to $9,000.  
Now some of that was registry charges but about $2,000 of it was for "freight" and "prep" plus "document" fees and other dealer fees like that. I was so pissed I walked out (and later ended up buying an FJ 09)!

I guess the guy selling the FJ was a crook too!!! The price was more reasonable but it turns out the model was a year older than he said!
Here in Oz that practice is highly illegal...

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

That's why when I go into bar a car, motorcycle, or whatever.. I will only negotiate an OTD price. They can put whatever fees they want to on the paperwork as long as they meet my OTD price, which is the only number I care about.

I also find it helpful to negotiate over the phone or email prior to ever setting foot in a dealeeship.

Glad they turned you away from the CB1100 so you were able to join the ranks of FJs/MTs/Tracers.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

I also find it helpful to negotiate over the phone or email prior to ever setting foot in a dealeeship. 

And while negotiating by phone WRITE IT ALL DOWN - they'll surely try to extort another few $$s from you if not! 
I cannot negotiate by phone, however, as I have a serious speech impediment.   I tend to swear a lot at the bullshet and crap they give you! >:D

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member
That's why when I go into bar a car, motorcycle, or whatever.. I will only negotiate an OTD price. They can put whatever fees they want to on the paperwork as long as they meet my OTD price, which is the only number I care about. 

Glad they turned you away from the CB1100 so you were able to join the ranks of FJs/MTs/Tracers.

This is what I do. I find several bikes/cars I’m interested in and shoot them an out the door price. When we sit down to sign papers if they try tacking stuff on I remind them 1 time of our agreed price. 1 time. If they keep after it. I get up and leave.
If your financing, have that lined up before you set foot in n the dealership. Always be prepared and be willing to walk out.

Let’s go Brandon

I usually buy used, especially when it comes to motorcycles. You guys are absolutely correct, you need to know the out the door price (including or excluding fixed registry charges like tax, tag and title). But in my experience the out the door price is often way too high. It is one thing to pay MSRP. We all know the bike depreciates rapidly as soon as you drive it off the lot. But it is another thing to pay MSRP plus $2-3,000 in dealer charges. Do that and you REALLY get soaked. And that is especially true if you are buying a less expensive model. A few grand added to the price of a $25,000 Gold Wing is not as a painful as the same amount added to a $6,000 CB1100, right?

In this Age of the Internet, where the buying process has changed so radically, I am amazed we all still put up with the bulls*#t that surrounds vehicle purchases.

What is it about cars and motorcycles that keeps me from going to Amazon and ordering up a Tracer 900?

Then picking it up at my local dealer who'll make $$ on my service bills.

cb
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

In this Age of the Internet, where the buying process has changed so radically, I am amazed we all still put up with the bulls*#t that surrounds vehicle purchases. 
What is it about cars and motorcycles that keeps me from going to Amazon and ordering up a Tracer 900?

cb

Enter Tesla....

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member

cb
Enter Tesla....

Only problem with that is I ain’t interested in electric vehicles. Not even a little bit.

Let’s go Brandon

Archived