High Speed Wobble

dmanteigas

• Supporting Member
56 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

Moral imperatives.  

By the way, it doesn’t wobble.   Therefore, I conclude that adding a supercharger to the FJ is the only way to positively cure the instability concern.

You’re welcome...  :) 

I'm all about "stability".

Seriously, that supercharged motor must be a hoot!  The riding position just looks too "sport bike-ish" to me.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It is surprising how often, historically, manufacturers have had to experiment with tyres to cure inbuilt instabilities, sometimes even having a special version made for their bike.  Needless to say, they won't approve any other tyre make/model and you experiment at your own risk.  Sometimes you happen on a major improvement and other times the reverse.  Trouble is, it's an expensive and troublesome experiment.  If a tyre manufacturer doesn't list one of their expensive tyres for your bike, you'd better believe there's a good reason.  As for rubbishing recommended tyre pressures, they are often set by the tyre supplier, not the bike manufacturer and what would they know.  Both of them spend untold fortunes testing so obviously the rider is far more qualified to decide.  The only excuse for ignoring recommendations is for track use when you want the rubber to run hot by reducing pressures.

I guess the value of this forum is that you can learn by other's experiences but be cautious.  Their comments have to be on the same model with the same settings and the same weight and luggage as yours otherwise it is meaningless.  Plus most tyre experiences are subjective so one man's meat is another man's poison.  Good luck and stay safe.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OLD DVB said:

It is surprising how often, historically, manufacturers have had to experiment with tyres to cure inbuilt instabilities, sometimes even having a special version made for their bike.  Needless to say, they won't approve any other tyre make/model and you experiment at your own risk.  Sometimes you happen on a major improvement and other times the reverse.  Trouble is, it's an expensive and troublesome experiment.  If a tyre manufacturer doesn't list one of their expensive tyres for your bike, you'd better believe there's a good reason.  As for rubbishing recommended tyre pressures, they are often set by the tyre supplier, not the bike manufacturer and what would they know.  Both of them spend untold fortunes testing so obviously the rider is far more qualified to decide.  The only excuse for ignoring recommendations is for track use when you want the rubber to run hot by reducing pressures.

I guess the value of this forum is that you can learn by other's experiences but be cautious.  Their comments have to be on the same model with the same settings and the same weight and luggage as yours otherwise it is meaningless.  Plus most tyre experiences are subjective so one man's meat is another man's poison.  Good luck and stay safe.

You can buy any tire that is the right size for your bike.  You can also fill your tire with the recommended pressure if you like.  You can also learn from others years of experience on what tire pressures improve the life of the tire without affecting performance.  It's all entirely your decision.

• Like 1