High Speed Wobble

dmanteigas

• Premium Member

I have not experienced any wobble issues on current or previous bikes (Kaw 1000R, 2 Buell S3's, FJ-09).  All my tires have been Dunlops.  This includes speeds up to 130 mph on the first three and 115 on the FJ.   All had OEM suspension, no steering dampeners, varying tire pressures and loads.  I weigh 165 lbs w/o gear, so on the lighter side.  Currently running RS III's on my FJ.

To say that Dunlop is the problem and switching tires is the fix would seem an oversimplification of a more complex issue IMHO. YMMV.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

122ish and no wobble. Oh wait, my heartbeat was wobbling. 

• Thumbsup 2

2015 FJ-09 - Andreani Cartridges, Ohlins 535 Rear Shock, LightTech Chain Adjusters, Yoshi Fender Eliminator, Blaster-X Integrated Tail Light/Blinkers,  Full Yoshi Exhaust, Ivan's Flash, Bagster Seat, Rizoma: (Bar, Grips, Bar Ends, Mirrors, Oil Cap, Rear Pegs) Bremob Corsa Corta Master Cylinder, Bremob RCS19 Hadraulic Clutch, GPR Steering Damper, Speigler Hydraulic Lines, EBC Brake Pads, Puig Screen, HealTech Quick Shifter, MPG Rearset, XSR900 Slipper Clutch, Driven Racing Halo Gas Cap, SW-Motch Front / Rear Axel Sliders,  R1 Rotors / 320mm Kit Conversion. 

• Supporting Member

@coachluciano - I’ve got to admit, I’ve been silently waiting to see who was going to roast you for the ‘traffic crimes against humanity’ video...  It’s been a surprisingly quiet group today! 

I tend to do my high speed passes in lower-density traffic settings, as Texas has LOTS of roads where you won’t encounter anyone else for miles at a time.   

Glad to see the oscillation is gone.   Hand guards are removed, I assume?   :)  

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
10 hours ago, coachluciano said:

122ish and no wobble. Oh wait, my heartbeat was wobbling. 

That's an interesting overlay on the video showing speed, pitch, roll etc. is it an app or software in your camera?

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, betoney said:

That's an interesting overlay on the video showing speed, pitch, roll etc. is it an app or software in your camera?

Same question.   That’s very intriguing to me...

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
12 hours ago, betoney said:

It’s part of the Garmin Virbe package. Some of the overlays are for an airplane, but work well on the bike if the camera is set up level. There’s a lot of data in there. Anyone looking for an action camera look Garmin before GoPro. Also, I can work all the camera functions from my Garmin GPS mounted on my bars. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2015 FJ-09 - Andreani Cartridges, Ohlins 535 Rear Shock, LightTech Chain Adjusters, Yoshi Fender Eliminator, Blaster-X Integrated Tail Light/Blinkers,  Full Yoshi Exhaust, Ivan's Flash, Bagster Seat, Rizoma: (Bar, Grips, Bar Ends, Mirrors, Oil Cap, Rear Pegs) Bremob Corsa Corta Master Cylinder, Bremob RCS19 Hadraulic Clutch, GPR Steering Damper, Speigler Hydraulic Lines, EBC Brake Pads, Puig Screen, HealTech Quick Shifter, MPG Rearset, XSR900 Slipper Clutch, Driven Racing Halo Gas Cap, SW-Motch Front / Rear Axel Sliders,  R1 Rotors / 320mm Kit Conversion. 

• Premium Member
13 hours ago, texscottyd said:

@coachluciano - I’ve got to admit, I’ve been silently waiting to see who was going to roast you for the ‘traffic crimes against humanity’ video...  It’s been a surprisingly quiet group today! 

I tend to do my high speed passes in lower-density traffic settings, as Texas has LOTS of roads where you won’t encounter anyone else for miles at a time.   

Glad to see the oscillation is gone.   Hand guards are removed, I assume?   :)  

Yup.  I frequently review my video and choices and have grounded myself for days. That part of the highway is right close to home and I know every inch of every piece of pavement. However, I’d hate for my stupidity to cause undue harm to anything else. Yes. Whole new cockpit. Bars, grips. Etc. I also have a GPR stabilizer which may not be a fair comparison to those without. 

Have a great long weekend Scott. Always appreciate your advice and humor. 

• Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
12 minutes ago, coachluciano said:

It’s part of the Garmin Virbe package. Some of the overlays are for an airplane, but work well on the bike if the camera is set up level. There’s a lot of data in there. Anyone looking for an action camera look Garmin before GoPro. Also, I can work all the camera functions from my Garmin GPS mounted on my bars. 

Very cool!  Its like a HUD in a fighter jet. 😎

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
49 minutes ago, coachluciano said:

Have a great long weekend Scott. Always appreciate your advice and humor. 

Thanks, and you as well.   

Please don’t think I’m giving you a hard time, as I’ve done WAY more irresponsible moto-stuff myself.   

My demo ride on the Kawasaki H2 SX SE included a spin well past 150 mph within a half mile of the dealership...  The sales guy (who is a good friend) was just shaking his head and laughing when I brought the bike back.   Good times... :) 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
7 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

My demo ride on the Kawasaki H2 SX SE included a spin well past 150 mph within a half mile of the dealership...  The sales guy (who is a good friend) was just shaking his head and laughing when I brought the bike back.   Good times... :) 

Well, it has a supercharger, so...  😎 👍

• Haha 1

• Supporting Member
19 minutes ago, betoney said:

Well, it has a supercharger, so...  😎 👍

Moral imperatives.  

By the way, it doesn’t wobble.   Therefore, I conclude that adding a supercharger to the FJ is the only way to positively cure the instability concern.

You’re welcome...  :) 

• Thumbsup 2
  • Haha 1