Wiring-in front LEDs

wordsmith

Unfortunately I don't have a pic of what I'm referring to here, but those who have 'been there, done that' will recognise the point.  Under the windscreen and the covers immediately under that are two ivory-coloured 'plugs' hidden inside a neoprene boot, each with a pair of wires leading into them from behind.   I believe they are intended for installation of auxiliary lights and such.   I have used these on earlier Gen 1 Tracers to mount front conspicuity LEDs, and will want to do so again when my new (2015) bike arrives.   The question is - can I simply use a Positap to join each of the two wires from the LEDs (1 x red, 1 x black) into each of the plug wires, purely for simplicity?   I'd use both plugs, one for each LED.     And - which of the wires leading into the plug is -ve, which +ve. 

When doing this next time I'll take pix and post here for others' use...

P1020095.JPG

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member

@wordsmith  I recently wired in daytime running lights as well as a Garmin GPS using the plugs you refer to behind the windscreen.  Its a very simple and straightforward installation. 

The plug behind the screen is the male portion, I went to the local Yamaha shop and got a few of the female side that they had salvaged from a wiring harness, then spliced them onto my devices.

GPS plug2.jpg

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Thanks, betoney.   On my last install using these plugs I cut and soldered the LED wires to the plug wires, but it was a bit fiddly and didn't look too good, notwithstanding that they will probably never see light of day again!   Assuming that I leave the plugs as-is, can I Positap each LED wire to the plug wire in place of the splice/ heat-shrink cover (I assume) that you have used?    I doubt very much if any local Yam dealer has the female bits you used, and if so wouldn't give them up (or sell to me) anyway!  

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Thanks once more, jd!   I have now ordered a set of these.   Pretty dear at AUD$35, though!

Thanks for the helpful tips, guys.   One more important question if I may - of the two wires that enter the OE ivory-coloured blank plugs from the rear, which is -+ve and which is -ve.   Thank you in advance.

Very good question, bugie - thank you!   I assume (which one should never do!) that it's the same as the headlights, but I don't have the bike here to check.   But I will not be putting a switch into the circuit.

I'd appreciate guidance.   I have installed identical LEDs on earlier Tracers, but may have taken pot-luck with the wiring: although whatever, it worked, and lo! - there was light!   I do not have any form of multimeter or whatever to use.

11 hours ago, bugie said:

Would I be right in assuming power from this plug is ignition enabled, so with the engine on, power will be permanently on, or, will power be supplied on turning the key (i.e. engine still off)?

Jdavis (above) kindly confirmed that the LEDs are ON with the ignition switch, engine OFF.   I still need help to identify the +ve and -ve wires in the plug to connect to the LED leads (black and red).   Thanks...

• Premium Member

In the gray connectors BLACK is ground (-) and BROWN(this one has a yellow stripe) is power (+)

For the lights I installed with Red (+) and Black (-) wires I did the following:

Connect the BLACK wire from the accessory light TO the BLACK wire in the gray connector.

Connect the RED wire from the accessory light TO the BROWN wire in the gray connector  (see photo)

I ran both aux light wires to one connector.  The wires were very small and two fit better than one when I was crimping them into the terminal.

The lights will come on when the ignition switch is turned on whether the engine is running or not.

fj wires cropped.png

fj lights cropped.png

https://ridemsta.com/oh-tmr/  Riding makes me happy. "Do it or don't do it - you'll regret both." - Soren Kierkegaard

2015 FJ-09, 60k miles, Hord Power ECU, K-Tech suspension, MC Cruise

Archived