Suspension paint chipped

writetome

As the title suggests, there is a small chip on the gold part of the right fork. I am wondering if it will get rusted if i don't treat it? What should i treat it with? Previously i have applied touch up paint on such small chips but i am not able to find the right color touch up paint for the gold forks :/ 

Looked online to find clear coat touch up pens - i am pretty sure that will not provide rust protection like paint would. Any ideas? 

Maybe treat it periodically with some ACF-50... I don't think the metal on the forks is particularly prone to rusting.  Hopefully somebody else has a good suggestion.

https://www.amazon.com/ACF-50-Anti-Corrosion-Lubricant-Compound-Aerosol/dp/B000P1C8UO

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

As an alternative, you can buy metallic gold pinstripe tape from many sources, and maybe a short piece of this could be used to cover the chip.   And put an identical matching piece on the other fork-leg in the same location to visually balance things up.

• Thumbsup 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I have the gold forks on my Super Tenere and have a large stone chip on one tube. I loosened the triple clamp bolts and rotated the tube so the chip faces the rear, can't see it any more! The tube is aluminum and hasn't rusted at all in two years.

• Thumbsup 1

2019 Tracer GT,  Ontario, Canada

Smart solution - I didn't know you could rotate the fork legs!   And FWIW - when setting off on a long-ish multi-day road trip interstate I always put several layers of some clear PVC film on the front and sides of the fork legs to minimise stone damage.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, gv550 said:

I have the gold forks on my Super Tenere and have a large stone chip on one tube. I loosened the triple clamp bolts and rotated the tube so the chip faces the rear, can't see it any more! The tube is aluminum and hasn't rusted at all in two years.

I have done the same thing on dirt bikes if the fork leg gets scratched, just rotate it in the clamp until it is out of sight. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Ah! good to know that rust is a non issue *phew*

Rotating the tube is a great hack haha I think i will try to find a clear nail polish or something of that sort and patch-fix it. 

ACF is a great idea - I did not know something like that existed. I might not use it for this specific purpose, but do you guys think it will be helpful to coat few parts of the bike with it before a long dirt trip? 

@writetomeI use ACF-50 on all the allen head engine bolts and many other exposed fixings after every time I wash the bike. Also in places like the welds on my  SW Motech engine guards, where water collects. I spray a tiny amount on using the straw on the aerosol can and then dab off excess onto a clean cloth. You can then use the cloth to wipe down areas like the alloy under the seat.

It does make cleaning the bike easier next time too, so I would definitely apply some before your next trip.

Only one caution: it says on the can that it can be used for electrical switches, but my hi-lo beam headlight switch stopped resetting from the flash setting until I worked it free. I don’t use it on switches any more.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

writetome - just a generic type of self-stick 0.5mm thick sheet of clear PVC - I cannot recall where I bought it, or even why, but applied in several layers on the fork, and also on any vulnerable forward-facing parts like the tank, I feel it's stout enough to at least keep smaller stones from marking/ chipping those surfaces.

Edited by wordsmith

• Premium Member
On 12/19/2018 at 2:49 AM, wordsmith said:

As an alternative, you can buy metallic gold pinstripe tape from many sources, and maybe a short piece of this could be used to cover the chip. 

@Wordsmith - Do you know how well the gold pinstripe tape matches the front forks? I checked out the 3M Scotchcal High Performance Striping Tape Color and Pattern Guide (PDF) and it didn't look that close. I ask because I trust a real person's eyeballs more than a PDF. Thanks!

Link is to the 3M pdf download. If this is not allowed please remove.

Edited by dingophil

Good question, dingo!   I happen to have a leftover roll with some gold pinstripe left on it.   Holding it onto the fork, it's not a good match at all: when contrasted in this way the fork has more of a coppery note to it, but then - I couldn't swear that my 'gold' tape is in fact a 3M product.   Keep on searchin' I guess.   Sorry...

• Premium Member
50 minutes ago, wordsmith said:

Good question, dingo!   I happen to have a leftover roll with some gold pinstripe left on it.   Holding it onto the fork, it's not a good match at all: when contrasted in this way the fork has more of a coppery note to it, but then - I couldn't swear that my 'gold' tape is in fact a 3M product.   Keep on searchin' I guess.   Sorry...

Thanks for checking! 

• 3 years later...
  • Supporting Member

Sorry to revive an old thread but, I just noticed a silver spot on my gold forks which I was able to cover with a gold sharpie permanent marker. Finally getting a return on the kids school art supplies 😄