I also "Switched over here".

wheelinthai

General consensus is the motor is an absolute gem and what gives the bike so much character and adaptability... It's best of both worlds in a sense power- off idle TQ of an inline twin with the ability to spin rpms like a inline 4... 

As for the GT vs the FJ/MT-09- well you can build your FJ/MT-09 into a GT cheaper generally - just gonna miss out on a fancy color dash and a slightly longer rear swingarm... 

2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Welcome! 

I think you'll find the FJ is a fantastic light touring bike. A bit more kick and a bit more comfortable than the Ninja 650 but nothing absurd. However, the suspension on the non-GT models leaves room for improvement. 

'15 FJ09

3 hours ago, koth442 said:

However, the suspension on the non-GT models leaves room for improvement. 

That, koth, is the greatest understatement since the Big Bang!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

9 hours ago, wheelinthai said:

I don't have a Yamaha MT 09 aka  FJ-09 yet. However, the local OTD price is very tempting, so I'm here to learn more about the FJ 09.  My style is light touring, so I feel that it would serve me better than the Tracer 900 GT.

BTW I currently use 2018 Ninja 650 for my touring, and I have 939 SuperSport and 765 RS for track fun. I don't race.

I came from a Versys 650 (same motor as the Ninja, not sure if it is a different tune) and although punchy it has nothing on the FJ. 

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

On 1/17/2019 at 3:59 PM, duhs10 said:

I came from a Versys 650 (same motor as the Ninja, not sure if it is a different tune) and although punchy it has nothing on the FJ. 

I am in the same boat.  2015 Versys LT and looking for an upgrade.  No regrets?

1 hour ago, StanBo said:

I had a 2008 Versys 650. I think the Versys was more comfortable in stock form... and a better foundation if you wanted a dual purpose (on / off road) type bike.  In all other areas the FJ is superior.  The engine alone was worth the upgrade.  The Versys was boring in comparison... solid bike, but boring.  No regrets and no plans to get rid of my FJ.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

13 hours ago, StanBo said:

we have both at our house.  2016 versys 650LT and a 2016 FJ09.  the versys is a great bike and a bit softer than the FJ.  it does everything well by comparison.  But the FJ has more zip and firmer ride.  Having ridden both the FJ is the better bike in my opinion.  Both are great bikes but you will have no regrets other that missing the side bags on the versys...i don't believe you can fit a helmet in the GT's side bags and that would be an negative.

Archived