Sw motech tank ring

3way

• Supporting Member
54 minutes ago, 3way said:

Anyone know what the difference is between fj09 tank ring and fz09 tank ring ? The fz one is way cheaper, but pics look the same, and the hole centres are identical on the fuel caps on both bikes

The ring for the FZ (#110) is supposed to be shorter to keep the bag closer to the tank. 

I just installed one yesterday to attach the EVO Engage tank bag. 

The install couldn’t have been simpler and the quick release mechanism for the tank bag is really slick,  however the curve of the tank bag doesn’t match the slope of the tank, the tank bag has a very pronounced curve which I’m going to try and flatten out a little bit. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, betoney said:

The ring for the FZ (#110) is supposed to be shorter to keep the bag closer to the tank. 

The install couldn’t have been simpler and the quick release mechanism for the tank bag is really slick,  however the curve of the tank bag doesn’t match the slope of the tank, the tank bag has a very pronounced curve which I’m going to try and flatten out a little bit. 

In 2015 I bought the Yamaha FZ-09 Touring Tank Bag (basically a Bags-Connection tank bag, using the same SW-MOTECH Bags-Connection EVO 110 ring - with Yamaha branding).  I really like not having straps and no worries about scratching the tank with magnetic flaps.  To me it's a clean look with the bag on or off.  When the bag is off of the bike, I don't mind the look of the matching black mounting ring at all.  It's still working great for me!

The bag is what makes the difference as to whether or not this particular ring will work.  With some bags you'll need extra height, but with mine I didn't at all.  (pics taken in 2015, many farkles added since then but the bag lives on...  :^)

Yamaha City Tank Bag and Tank Clamp-02.jpg

Yamaha City Tank Bag and Tank Clamp-05.jpg

Yamaha City Tank Bag and Tank Clamp-04.jpg

13 hours ago, steveb said:

In 2015 I bought the Yamaha FZ-09 Touring Tank Bag (basically a Bags-Connection tank bag, using the same SW-MOTECH Bags-Connection EVO 110 ring - with Yamaha branding).  

Do you know how many liters the Yamaha bag is?

13 hours ago, steveb said:

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

15 hours ago, mellow said:

Which ring works for the 2019 Tracer?  Any idea? 

Hi. 

It’s the 110 ring part number TRT.00.640.11001/B

I have one on my Tracer GT with the Evo Engage bag. Very nice fit and follows the lines of the tank without a big gap.

Bag is quite small but perfect for essentials that you want to hand.

vic

8 hours ago, vic said:

Hi. 

It’s the 110 ring part number TRT.00.640.11001/B

I have one on my Tracer GT with the Evo Engage bag. Very nice fit and follows the lines of the tank without a big gap.

Bag is quite small but perfect for essentials that you want to hand.

vic

Erm, Well no it's not. This was the reason for posting my question. The Tracer (fj09) version is TRT.00.640.30800/B.  The one you have is for the naked (fz09) version and cheaper. They both fit, as bolt holes on filler are the same, but what the hecks the difference in the ring...?

On 1/26/2019 at 3:58 PM, betoney said:

Thanks betony. So the tracer (fj09) version just sits a bit taller ? Is it the same plastic ring but with a thicker metal ring, or visa Versa ?  

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, 3way said:

Thanks betony. So the tracer (fj09) version just sits a bit taller ? Is it the same plastic ring but with a thicker metal ring, or visa Versa ?  

I haven't looked at them side by side to tell how much of a difference there is.  I went with the recommendations from other forum members and ordered the shorter ring for the FZ09.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

On 1/26/2019 at 11:36 AM, steveb said:

In 2015 I bought the Yamaha FZ-09 Touring Tank Bag (basically a Bags-Connection tank bag, using the same SW-MOTECH Bags-Connection EVO 110 ring - with Yamaha branding).  I really like not having straps and no worries about scratching the tank with magnetic flaps.  To me it's a clean look with the bag on or off.  When the bag is off of the bike, I don't mind the look of the matching black mounting ring at all.  It's still working great for me!

The bag is what makes the difference as to whether or not this particular ring will work.  With some bags you'll need extra height, but with mine I didn't at all.  (pics taken in 2015, many farkles added since then but the bag lives on...  :^)

This bag is a very interesting option that I was not aware of before your post. Can you post a pic from the rear to see how the width fits the tank? Do you have any issues with the handlebars hitting it? 

10 hours ago, piotrek said:

The FJ has that black plastic surround in the front that the bag needs to clear... it does not need to do that on the FZ as the tank on that bike aggressively slopes downward. That said... can't see what the differences are between the two (FZ on left). The steel base rings look the same, so maybe the plastics are different height.

rings.thumb.JPG.7360886b22ed92e77ccc390ea11de869.JPG

Great pics, thanks !  The bag I have  is a GS bag, not listed as fitting our bikes, but the shape is really quite good, and I like the extra pocket on rear. Think I'll go for the cheaper ring, and space out the fitting underneath bag if needed. KMEV, the Yamaha bag is really the sw motech city bag, although the price seems to be about the same. GS bag fitted to super tenere...

IMG_4091.GIF

3 hours ago, 3way said:

KMEV, the Yamaha bag is really the sw motech city bag, although the price seems to be about the same. GS bag fitted to super tenere...

It is and it isn't. On the city model (according to advertising pics) the Yamaha version has a map window while the SW Motech one does not. I find a map window sometimes very useful for things like written directions or waypoints, state or national park passes etc. 

The Touring model seems to be largely the same between the two versions. 

For those using the larger volume bags with the EVO locking ring - when the bag is filled with stuff is it easy to get the bag locked back onto the ring after fueling? 

Archived