Jump to content
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 26 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online

How To Wire Sat Nav/GPS to FJ-09/tracer 900


rockafella50

Recommended Posts

Hi folks, 

I appreciate the subject of utilising the auxiliary power ports has been brought up multiple times over the years but I'm looking for something akin to a step by step guide of how to wire my Tomtom to either the battery or one of the aux power supplies. I literally have no electrical knowledge whatsoever so basically need an idiots guide if someone can point me in the right direction. I've spent hours looking through the forum, and whilst there have been threads raised on this topic, I need something more explicit. Any help is appreciated. 

 

Thanks. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Supporting Member
10 hours ago, rockafella50 said:

Hi folks, 

I appreciate the subject of utilising the auxiliary power ports has been brought up multiple times over the years but I'm looking for something akin to a step by step guide of how to wire my Tomtom to either the battery or one of the aux power supplies. I literally have no electrical knowledge whatsoever so basically need an idiots guide if someone can point me in the right direction. I've spent hours looking through the forum, and whilst there have been threads raised on this topic, I need something more explicit. Any help is appreciated. 

 

Thanks. 

If you have no electrical knowledge whatsoever or experience working with wiring or connectors, I would highly recommend you NOT teach yourself while working on your bike.

Check out You Tube for Motorcycle Wiring videos.  

Buy a few feet of cable, various types of connectors and practice stripping wires, installing and crimping connectors, using a heat gun on heat shrink etc. BEFORE touching your bike.

Everybody has to learn somewhere but it is far cheaper to learn on scrap wiring than on your bikes wiring harness.

  • Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, betoney said:

If you have no electrical knowledge whatsoever or experience working with wiring or connectors, I would highly recommend you NOT teach yourself while working on your bike.

Check out You Tube for Motorcycle Wiring videos.  

Buy a few feet of cable, various types of connectors and practice stripping wires, installing and crimping connectors, using a heat gun on heat shrink etc. BEFORE touching your bike.

Everybody has to learn somewhere but it is far cheaper to learn on scrap wiring than on your bikes wiring harness.

Thanks for the reply mate. Sounds more and more like it would be less hassle just to get my local dealer to do it when it's in for the next service. 

  • Thumbsup 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Supporting Member
1 minute ago, rockafella50 said:

Thanks for the reply mate. Sounds more and more like it would be less hassle just to get my local dealer to do it when it's in for the next service. 

Well, once you do it a few time and feel comfortable with splicing and crimping, its fairly easy to do.

I have added different rear signals, license plate light, flush mount front signals, daytime running lights, hardwired my GPS etc. they all required minor wiring modifications with different connectors.

Try it a few times with some scrap wire, I think you might be surprised at how easy it is.

  • Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, rockafella50 said:

Hi folks, 

I appreciate the subject of utilising the auxiliary power ports has been brought up multiple times over the years but I'm looking for something akin to a step by step guide of how to wire my Tomtom to either the battery or one of the aux power supplies. I literally have no electrical knowledge whatsoever so basically need an idiots guide if someone can point me in the right direction. I've spent hours looking through the forum, and whilst there have been threads raised on this topic, I need something more explicit. Any help is appreciated. 

 

Thanks. 

Read this thread it has everything you probably need to know

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Its quite easy, so give it a try. Hers how I do it..Remove battery terminals. Take off negative first. This is black wire. Then positive, red wire. Buy a cheap crimper and crimp a round terminal to each wire on end of sat nav cable. (EDIT As BBB has noted, if it hasnt allready, connect an inline fuse to positive Sat nav wire. ) Check with Sat nav company which of their leads is positive and negative. Put a bit of red tape round the positive crimp to help identify. Put back battery terminals, positive RED first. When you do this, put screw/bolt through the battery terminal and your crimped terminal, doubling up. Your Sat nav will now have a permanent feed, even if bike is switched off. I do not recommend you follow my advice. Take your bike to a dealer for everything, or risk certain death and the earth spinning off it's axis.

Edited by Tripletrouble
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Tripletrouble said:

Its quite easy, so give it a try. Hers how I do it..Remove battery terminals. Take off negative first. This is black wire. Then positive, red wire. Buy a cheap crimper and crimp a round terminal to each wire on end of sat nav cable. Check with Sat nav company which of their leads is positive and negative. Put a bit of red tape round the positive crimp to help identify. Put back battery terminals, positive RED first. When you do this, put screw/bolt through the battery terminal and your crimped terminal, doubling up. Your Sat nav will now have a permanent feed, even if bike is switched off. I do not recommend you follow my advice.

Why did you post this if you don’t recommend it?

Any permanent connection from the battery should be fused at least.

  • Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, BBB said:

Why did you post this if you don’t recommend it?

Any permanent connection from the battery should be fused 

Yes, your right.  My Sat nav all ready had an inline fuse, I guess some might not, I missed that. However, they are all fused internally, so no danger. My 'dont take my advice' is a disclaimer. It really is easy, you don't have to be a qualified electrician. If in any doubt, take it to the dealers for everything.

Edited by Tripletrouble
  • Thumbsup 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had dealer wire sat nav to ignition switched cable on my new GT, I have heard a few reports of battery flattening over time because of a parasitic drain if live all the time.

Also my garmin 350 switches off (stand by) when i turn off bike and back on when i start up, eg fuel stops.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

How are you at taking front screen off and some plastics ? If so, you can wire an auxiliary connector to the sat nav, (just two wires into a connector) and just plug it into a ready made socket which is tucked away under dash. No messing with battery wires. This way it's already fused, and  will have its power turned off when you switch bike off. You will have to buy a connector on EBay for a couple of £ .  If you think that's up your street, post back for more details. 

  • Thumbsup 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...
On 2/3/2019 at 9:27 PM, Tripletrouble said:

How are you at taking front screen off and some plastics ? If so, you can wire an auxiliary connector to the sat nav, (just two wires into a connector) and just plug it into a ready made socket which is tucked away under dash. No messing with battery wires. This way it's already fused, and  will have its power turned off when you switch bike off. You will have to buy a connector on EBay for a couple of £ .  If you think that's up your street, post back for more details. 

You couldn't post those details could you? What connector is it and where is it located do you have a picture?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BlakeH said:

You couldn't post those details could you? What connector is it and where is it located do you have a picture?

Hi Blake. Undo 4 screws holding on screen and remove. Remove more screws and take off the black plastic shield underneath screen.  There is a plastic moulding held in place by some round plastic clips. Get a small posi /Phillips screwdriver and gently push the central rivet down. They won't fall through, but loosen the clip up. Remove the shroud and you'll see the two grey connectors. 99 and 100. Either will do. Socket for your sat nav wires EBay 353046470273

IMG_4980.JPG

Edited by Tripletrouble
  • Thumbsup 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 4/16/2020 at 8:26 PM, Tripletrouble said:

Hi Blake. Undo 4 screws holding on screen and remove. Remove more screws and take off the black plastic shield underneath screen.  There is a plastic moulding held in place by some round plastic clips. Get a small posi /Phillips screwdriver and gently push the central rivet down. They won't fall through, but loosen the clip up. Remove the shroud and you'll see the two grey connectors. 99 and 100. Either will do. Socket for your sat nav wires EBay 353046470273

IMG_4980.JPG

So I wired the Garmin Zumo mount to my bike a few months ago and it's held up!

In the end I utilised the blanking plug (99 or 100 in the picture above) by removing the rubber bungs and buying some male pins with seals and wired them into the old plug.

 

 

  • Thumbsup 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×