Suspension adjustment and other dealer questions?

joe72t

Hello All,

Just counting the final 3 weeks or so before I pick up my brand new beloved Tracer 900GT!!!  

When I picked up my last bike at the dealer it was pretty much "here are the keys and thank you for the business" with no real overview about the bike.  I was a newbie and my first bike so not knowing what to expect or ask.  This time I want to be more prepared so if anyone can advise on questions I should be asking or things I should look out for please let me know.

I know I will ask the dealer about the suspension settings for sure as I would have no clue where to set it at.  I am 6'3" about 195lbs and will be a solo rider all of the time with very little luggage weight.  I am not an aggressive rider, no track, but enjoy the twisties and leaning into it. I would love to hear where I should set it at.

Many thanks in advance to this great group of people!

Joe

1 hour ago, joe72t said:

Hello All,

Just counting the final 3 weeks or so before I pick up my brand new beloved Tracer 900GT!!!  

When I picked up my last bike at the dealer it was pretty much "here are the keys and thank you for the business" with no real overview about the bike.  I was a newbie and my first bike so not knowing what to expect or ask.  This time I want to be more prepared so if anyone can advise on questions I should be asking or things I should look out for please let me know.

I know I will ask the dealer about the suspension settings for sure as I would have no clue where to set it at.  I am 6'3" about 195lbs and will be a solo rider all of the time with very little luggage weight.  I am not an aggressive rider, no track, but enjoy the twisties and leaning into it. I would love to hear where I should set it at.

Many thanks in advance to this great group of people!

Joe

Hell, you probably know more about suspension than most USA dealers now days. Hop on your bike and get the hell out of there before they find more ways to spend your money. 

• Premium Member

Ride it and see how it feels before making adjustments.  The above video is good.  YouTube is your friend for learning more about suspension adjustments and tuning.

The factory settings are ok as a starting place.    Ride the bike and see what feels harsh, sloppy, stiff, mushy, plush, jarring,  or just right.  Keep track of your adjustments on a pad so you can return to factory settings if needed.

Once you are comfortable, try going full soft on the rebound and compression damping on the forks and ride the bike for a few minutes.  Go full stiff on compression and rebound and ride that for a minute.  That will give you a very good idea of extremes.  Find the place in the middle where the bike is compliant but not floaty or wallowing.   

Try the same things for the rear shock (rebound damping and spring pre-load only, no compression adjustment) from one extreme to the other and you will see what is what.  

Setting spring sag on both ends should actually be done first, but it is easier with two people.  Can you find a local rider who is well versed in suspension setup to give you a hand?

Don't be afraid to experiment!
Rob

• Supporting Member
8 hours ago, motopumps said:

Ride it and see how it feels before making adjustments.

The factory settings are ok as a starting place.    Ride the bike and see what feels harsh, sloppy, stiff, mushy, plush, jarring,  or just right.  Keep track of your adjustments on a pad so you can return to factory settings if needed.

Don't be afraid to experiment!

Agreed, - dont be afraid to experiment.  If you make a change that you dont like, simply change it back.  I find that you dont need to make large changes to feel a difference, I usually only change 1-2 clicks at a time.  ALWAYS keep a straight slot screw driver with you when you ride.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Archived